Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broke down in the '86 yesterday...gathering input

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't imagine someone offering a rebuild service and not replacing everything that would potentially wear from use and age. I'll bet everything is replaced. I've not done it yet, but I'll ask.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
i guess my point was for what you would pay for the o-rings, etc., you can pay someone else to do everything...

At least we got out post count up! ;-)
Old 01-18-2008, 04:40 AM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Hehe...haha...lol! Yes, it's definitely been cold enough. Enough so that the finger tips are in pain turning nuts and bolts by hand. The shivering I can deal with, but the finger tips?.... Mommy!

Fortunately, tomorrow will be in the 50's with sunny skies. I can finish the tear down then.

Enggg.....after thinking about it more I'm probably just going leave the bottom end alone. What I mean is, I do not have enough money for block work, also. "Not that much" is relative. Remember, tortis, alot of my funding is from the donations we receive for the animals. The injectors are probably in "worse" shape than the rings and cylinders. Good compression does mean things are good = it ain't broke....does it not? And you know what they say.... So, in other words, if I'm going to spend any more money....and reeeaally stretch my budget...I'd rather get the injectors rebuilt. Those seem to be fairly important, too.
Hey Matthew,
This is a great thread for knowledge and Thook's way of looking at things. Only posting to tell you keep up the good work.
my 2 cents is put a tent over your truck. I zipped tied 2 tarps together then zipped them to the rack on the cap. It knocked the wind out and keep me dry when it was raining.Up here I use a kiddy plastic sled as a creeper for work under the truck.
I'm here for moral support and an education.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

I don't mind working in the cold, as long as it's not winding/breezy. Just listening to you makes me shiver.... and I'm a Canuck...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by YotaJunky
I don't mind working in the cold, as long as it's not winding/breezy. Just listening to you makes me shiver.... and I'm a Canuck...

Fortunately, this winter has overall been mild. My truck just happens to break down during a rash of cold snaps. Go figure! Last Jan. was worse, though. That's when my clutch went out.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by pete f
Hey Matthew,
This is a great thread for knowledge and Thook's way of looking at things. Only posting to tell you keep up the good work.
my 2 cents is put a tent over your truck. I zipped tied 2 tarps together then zipped them to the rack on the cap. It knocked the wind out and keep me dry when it was raining.Up here I use a kiddy plastic sled as a creeper for work under the truck.
I'm here for moral support and an education.
That sled/creeper idea is great, Pete. Wish I'd have thought of that last winter. I was using a big piece of plywood that had this thin layer of ice on it from light precip (where/how the hell was I going to thaw it?) I had to use wheel chocks to keep the creeper from sliding around until I wanted it to. Right now, I've been using a couple of thick pieces of carpeting to insulate me from the ground. It works well!!!

I've done the tarp tent before when I had to work in the rain. That was when I rebuilt the top end of the '92. That was such a pain. It wasn't easy to keep things or myself dry from rain spray. Wasn't a heavy rain, but still. Anyway, I vowed I will not work in the rain on this one. But, next time....if it's windy...I will certainly do it even though I may get some funny looks and wise cracks. I have a roof rack to tie in to, also.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
i guess my point was for what you would pay for the o-rings, etc., you can pay someone else to do everything...

At least we got out post count up! ;-)
Ah yes! The important things...

I got the injectors unhooked last night after hauling hay. Stopped on my way home. They are very, very dirty. I'm curious to see the flow charts once they're done. I'm also curious to see how it will affect the mileage. I was getting on average 18-19mpg. ONCE I got 20 on a tank. Maybe that will be the new average....or better.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM

That sled/creeper idea is great, Pete. Wish I'd have thought of that last winter. I was using a big piece of plywood that had this thin layer of ice on it from light precip (where/how the hell was I going to thaw it?) I had to use wheel chocks to keep the creeper from sliding around until I wanted it to. Right now, I've been using a couple of thick pieces of carpeting to insulate me from the ground. It works well!!!

I've done the tarp tent before when I had to work in the rain. That was when I rebuilt the top end of the '92. That was such a pain. It wasn't easy to keep things or myself dry from rain spray. Wasn't a heavy rain, but still. Anyway, I vowed I will not work in the rain on this one. But, next time....if it's windy...I will certainly do it even though I may get some funny looks and wise cracks. I have a roof rack to tie in to, also.
My sled has small lip on the sides. When I was working on my cat during the thaw I was working in a puddle and the sides kept the water out. I use it to slide the wood for our wood stove from the wood pile. I think I paid $7.00 at ace hardware.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:09 AM

The things we'll do for a vehicle...hehe. Crazy.

Nothing new to report today. Won't be for a few days, of course. Glad I'm not working on the truck, though. It was a little over 20* this morning. Had to drag some firewood down the hill when I got up. My fingertips felt like they'd just been smacked with a hammer....even with gloves on.

I was thinking this morning, and even a day or two ago, if the bolts hadn't backed out of the guides I could have easily made it until Spring to replace the chain.......probably even longer. I'll look more closely, but as far as I can tell there just isn't that much wear on the guides. There's roughly 80k miles (don't remember exactly what the od reading was at the first change out) on this chain. I'm going to still change out, course. No sense in not since I already have everything and considering the job it is. But, I'm going to check the stretch wear on the chain just out of curiosity. My wife is threatening to write a letter to the guy that did my first chain.....who is also partly responsible for this. Not to chew him out, "repremand", or seek retribution....nothing immature like that. Just to let him know so he's more careful next time. That doesn't mean I or my wife didn't have ANY ill feelings, but nothing is gained by spreading them either.

I was also thinking the day this whole thing happened part of the sound I heard....."the snap".....aside from the starter...was probably the bolt letting loose and being flung around inside the timing cover. It's neither here nor there.....just thinking outloud.

Anyway, have any of you (or anyone at all) ever replaced the vacuum lines on a 22re? I'm hunting down the hose to do right now, and so far all I can turn up is rolls in certain lengths. I just don't know how much I should get and in what sizes. I may wind up having to measure them all out and such, but thought I'd ask and maybe save myself the task.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

If your vacuum lines are all the same diameter, buy in bulk & cut to fit as you replace them.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 AM

That's just it. Not all of them are the same diameter, although the majority of them are. They have rolls at O'Reilly for cheap and.....since I know them....they will probably just sell me whatever I need of whatever size and I won't have to get any more than that. That's my intention, anyway.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

That's just it. Not all of them are the same diameter, although the majority of them are. They have rolls at O'Reilly for cheap and.....since I know them....they will probably just sell me whatever I need of whatever size and I won't have to get any more than that. That's my intention, anyway.
that is what i did. stood in the parking lot at o'rielly's and measured the hoses of that diameter, cut, install, on to next size. i didn't think to right it down because i knew i would be selling the 4runner. sorry.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 AM

Cylinder head is off to the shop today. They said it should take about two or three days max. I had my friend who lives closer to Ft. Smith (where the head shop is) and has a grooming kennel business there take it for me. So, when it's all done, he'll return it along with the gasket and ring kits. Won't be until next weekend, though....probably. We'll see it works out. Gives me a chance to work on my other 4rnr. And, besides, it'd be a good idea to wait until I have the rings and gaskets to pull the motor block and service it. Maybe I can have it out and back in in one day. Oh...for that matter...I can start cleaning parts and bolts and maybe get some painting done.

Thanks, tortis. No need for apologies. I'll just take my measurements go from there.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Cylinder head is off to the shop today. They said it should take about two or three days max. I had my friend who lives closer to Ft. Smith (where the head shop is) and has a grooming kennel business there take it for me. So, when it's all done, he'll return it along with the gasket and ring kits. Won't be until next weekend, though....probably. We'll see it works out. Gives me a chance to work on my other 4rnr. And, besides, it'd be a good idea to wait until I have the rings and gaskets to pull the motor block and service it. Maybe I can have it out and back in in one day. Oh...for that matter...I can start cleaning parts and bolts and maybe get some painting done.

Thanks, tortis. No need for apologies. I'll just take my measurements go from there.
How many days is the turn around time for your injectors. Will they be back in time for the weekend?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by pete f
How many days is the turn around time for your injectors. Will they be back in time for the weekend?
Well, to be honest, they're not even mailed yet. Couldn't get by the P.O. in time. Probably won't be until Wed. We're experiencing freezing rain right now and the high tomorrow will be around 29*. The roads are not likely to thaw.

I'm not sure about the turnaround. As I recall, the thread where I learned of Mr. Injector (who's name is Bill) stated it was pretty quick. Like a week or so.

I'll let you know. Why do you ask? Want to have yours done?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM

Double post......scratch!

Last edited by thook; 02-10-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Talking Cranius Upthe Rectimus...

The roads thawed enough today to get out and about. I ran down to Don Clark's to borrow a vacuum pump to test the actuator on the '92 ADD. (I think I reinstalled it wrong) Then, on the way back to my house, I stopped at my '86 to see if the abominable snowman had eaten it. It was still there, so I looked under the hood to see if the motor had frozen or anything. Out of curiosity I tinkered with suspect timing chain guide and noticed that second bolt was actually still in there.!!!!! I obviously overlooked it (were it a snake....) Still, the bolts are all loose...even on the passenger side and I don't believe they should be. When I say loose, I mean they aren't holding the guides down snug so as not to move around. ??? Anyway, the extreme flop in the driver's side is actually from the guide mount/bolt hole being broken. Is that common? It was just hard to see the other day. The sun was in full today, so everything was illuminated (good movie, btw). Still don't know how the chain skipped, but I won't speculate anymore until I actually get the timing cover off.

Called the head shop today. The head honcho didn't actually do the work, but he's the one I spoke with. He said the head will be ready tomorrow, but doesn't recall that any valves were bent. As far as he knows, the head just needed a valve job and one plug hole had some buggered threads requiring an insert. We'll see tomorrow when I get the fellow who did the work on the phone. The head guy thought I was disappointed or something. I said,"Hell no! Just means my bill will be lower!"....
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Do yourself a favor & REMOVE THE HOOD; it makes things SO much brighter and easier to work on!!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Lol...yeah, Gary, I know. The weather being what it was, I was trying to work on it under the threat of rain. So, I left the hood on in case I had to close it up right quick. Still, it wasn't as difficult to work on it with the hood on as the V6 when I rebuilt the top end on it. Particularly getting to all those coolant sensors at the back of the manifold. The hood will come off when I pull the motor to work the block. Then, the whole motor will be reassembled as much as possible on the stand and reinstalled.....with the hood off...provided no threat of rain, of course.

The head was finished this morning. Grand total....sans the gasket/ring kits... came to $130. The shop foreman must have been thinking of another customer because all four intakes and two exhausts were bent. So, a whole new set of valves, guides, seals, etc. were needed. I had to wonder after yesterday. Remember I said I went up to tinker with it yesterday....and found the bolt? Well, I got a good look at the top of the pistons. There was light indentations on a couple of them from valve collisions....one thing to look for in cases like this where it's questionable if the valves are bent. An impact like that has got to bend some valves. My bill was still cheaper than the original quote, though. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $180/5. So, I'm pleased. I have practically a brand new head. Oh, and the cam tolerances were dead on. Yeah, synthetic!

Hopefully, the bottom end....crank and all that...will look just as good. We'll see. I'm going to get some plastiguage strips from O'Reilly and check the tolerances. Also, Don Clark said there are two types of honing tools used. One is the type with the wires with the balls on the ends and the other is more "fixed" or rigid. The latter one will give me a clear enough indication of how out of round the cylinders are when I go to honing. I hope I can get my hands on one of those. Research is in order!

Last edited by thook; 01-24-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM

Things are moving along good.... I love progress.

Quick Reply: Broke down in the '86 yesterday...gathering input