Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best shocks for 95 SR5 4x4 to correct rear sag

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sprayed some PB blaster on the ubolts in anticipation, but they do look pretty bad. Any idea where the best place to find a replacement is?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Air shocks would help with sag some, depending on the air pressure you put in them (requires airing up about once or twice a month).

A new spring pack would be a great way to do it, or adding more leafs to what you have might be enough too.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
ubolts can be found at napa or any parts store. bring an old one in so they can measure it for you.

or for about the same price get a ubolt flip kit, but then you have to do something different with your shocks.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM

the only problem i see with adding a add a leaf in your situations is that you springs in general are completely shot. they are sitting on the stock over load already. what an add-a-leaf does is add: 1. it's thickness to the spring pack, 2. it puts a little more arc on the upper springs. this is fine when the stock springs are actually arced and supporting the weight of the vehicle, but in your case your stock over load is supporting the weight of the not the actual springs. Personally I think you would be better off buying new springs because you add a leaf is going wear out very quickly supporting the entire back end of the truck as the normal leaves are not actually doing their job. I think you would be much more satisfied. even going out and finding a set of auto bone-yard springs might be better than those.

Shocks, air shocks in addition to new leaves if you do a lot of hauling would be good. if you have money left a good option for shocks would be bilstein. I have them in the front of my 4runner and really like them. Wish i had gotten them for the back too as the DT shocks are too soft for hauling and twisty highway driving.

Last edited by Alex 400; 04-11-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Im not into off-roading, unless you count drivin through my pasture as off-roading. To level my truck and gain some overload capacity I used Firestone air bags that I bought at Auto-Zone. Really easy to install and takes very little air pressure to level things out. Each bag has its own fill nozzle so you can level it right to left. I do pull a Kobota L3400 tractor with attachments from time to time and these bags work great for that. I dont remember what I gave for them, they have been on there for 3 or 4 years, but it was around 225. I think.....Regards...Rick
Old 04-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by fdp101452
Im not into off-roading, unless you count drivin through my pasture as off-roading. To level my truck and gain some overload capacity I used Firestone air bags that I bought at Auto-Zone. Really easy to install and takes very little air pressure to level things out. Each bag has its own fill nozzle so you can level it right to left. I do pull a Kobota L3400 tractor with attachments from time to time and these bags work great for that. I dont remember what I gave for them, they have been on there for 3 or 4 years, but it was around 225. I think.....Regards...Rick
bags are good option as well, but again they would be doing all of the weight support with no assist from the leaf springs.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Been reading about the Zuk coil mod...pretty intrigued. Seems like a good solution without having to mess with the leaf springs, buying new ones, new u-bolts, etc. Can anyone tell me where to order the springs and the brackets and stuff?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 PM

You could just have them re-arched.
There is a place here locally that does them.
I am sure there is one near you.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Really? Any idea how much that costs? I'm sure it involves totally removing the leaf springs, right?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 PM

If I remember right, the last set I had done were about $60- $70 each.
Yes you take them out, take them to them, they re-arch them, you put them back in.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 PM

The place here is called Tulsa Auto Spring.
I don't know who does it in your area.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Been reading a lot about the coil mod on Zuk's website...I feel like I'm pretty much sold on the idea. Seems like 60 bucks plus 10 bucks shipping will pretty much solve my problem. Apparenly you don't even need brackets or welding, just use the lower rubber bumper stop thing and cut the upper one off the frame partially - so cool!

I'm just trying to determine if I want the 12'' or 14'' inch coils, hmm - anyone have advice with that?

Last edited by CoolDoodz99; 04-11-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by CoolDoodz99
Been reading a lot about the coil mod on Zuk's website...I feel like I'm pretty much sold on the idea. Seems like 60 bucks plus 10 bucks shipping will pretty much solve my problem. Apparenly you don't even need brackets or welding, just use the lower rubber bumper stop thing and cut the upper one off the frame partially - so cool!
It is definitely the cheap, effective way to go. please post your results!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks, Alex, I definitely will - do you have any advice regarding 12'' vs. 14'' coils? I really just want to restore ride height, not add lift, but I'm nervous that if I get 12'' they might not be quite enough...
Old 04-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by CoolDoodz99
Thanks, Alex, I definitely will - do you have any advice regarding 12'' vs. 14'' coils? I really just want to restore ride height, not add lift, but I'm nervous that if I get 12'' they might not be quite enough...
I wouldn't be the one to ask. I have a 4runner where i have put better springs, but i have never done the zuk mod to a leaf sprung truck.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM

After reading a bunch of write-ups, I decided to go ahead and get the 14'' 100lbs springs. I figure if it ends up too high, I could always cut a little bit off of the springs.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman85
new nitrogen charged shocks will lift the back a small amount, maybe an inch if you get the heavy duty ones. the expanding effect on a nitro shock will wear out as the shock gets older, letting the rear settle and actually hold the rear of the truck down.

a really good fix to saggy leafs is an add a leaf. a common misconception about them is they will make your ride stiffer. it will make your spring rate higher, but not as high as the overload your riding on all the time.
I very much doubt even the highest pressure nitrogen-charged shocks will lift the rear more than 1/4". Try grabbing the bumper and lifting the rear, you have to put a significant amount of effort into lifting an inch, yet you can compress nitrogen-charged shocks pretty easily with two hands. No way would the shocks have the pressure to "lift" the rear noticeably. That's what the springs are for.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM

Yeah Matt, that makes sense. I was thinking I might put on new shocks while I'm doing the spring mod. Seeing as the springs should help soften the ride up (actually the ride isn't too bad right now anyway), is there any reason to use higher end shocks like Billsteins, or would it not be much of a difference to just use OEM stuff.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RE-RE
no they do not get stuck together, however, you might have to cut those ubolts off because the bolts are rusted on.

The over load is that really thick short leaf on the bottom of the pack that protects the leafs from going negative if you "overload" the truck.
what he said. farther more, to explain your problem and help you make a decision, your stock spring pack has lost spring rate due to old age and constants use. a add-a-leaf will add rate back to your pack and help your stock worn out pack. an absolutely perfect fix in your scenario.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
what he said. farther more, to explain your problem and help you make a decision, your stock spring pack has lost spring rate due to old age and constants use. a add-a-leaf will add rate back to your pack and help your stock worn out pack. an absolutely perfect fix in your scenario.
to be honest, a set of monroe reflex shocks are really good for the money. I put a set in my grandpa's truck and they are really nice riding shocks.

Quick Reply: Best shocks for 95 SR5 4x4 to correct rear sag