Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 pickup w/ 3.0 stalls when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 pickup w/ 3.0 stalls when stopping

Hello All,

This is my first post since I found this site a few days ago. I have been looking around and have founds tons of good information. This site rocks!

Now to my question/ problem. I have a 92' pickup w/ 3.0 and 5spd manual. The problem I have is in during the summer when I have to run the A/C my truck stalls when I first come to a stop, release gas pedal quickly. The rpm's drop below idle for a moment then return to idle if it does not stall. It does the same thing without the A/C on but without the extra load it does not stall. It does not stall with the A/C on for defrost though. It has had this problem for a very long time. I bought the truck used and the dealer (not toyota) ended up putting a ne top end on the motor. I saw the motor torn down so I know the work was done, how well is anyother story.

I made several trips to the dealer and after they rebuilt the top end I gave up because they seemed to not have a clue at what was wrong and I figured I would just do it myself. It wasn't a big deal in San Diego because I hardly ever needed A/C but here in Yuba City it hits 100+ in the summer so it is really not an option. I would like to get this figured out before summer comes.

I have since replaced the cap/rotor, plug wires and plugs (found the dealer put 3 plugs on one side that matched themselves but didn't belong on this motor) new ignighter, O2 sen., cleaned TB, check TPS and flow meter. Have I missed something?

The truck runs okay otherwise, not much power but I am comparing to a my Ranger with a 4.0.

I only found one other thread that had someone with what seems to be the same problem but I can't seem to post there?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM

Here is the othe thread I was refering to:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=rough+idle

My problem is like Interpid's.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe an dashpot adjustment... theres an idle dashpot thingy that is supposed to dampen the throttle position on pedal release to help with emissions.... It somehow could be causing your problem.... Look on your throttle body, does it have a little screw like stop that goes into a container with a vaccuum hose out of the end that leads to a little round cylinder?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you pushing in the clutch when you come to a stop? Will stall for sure if you don't... LMAO

Since you've done all the obvious tuneup stuff, I would start with checking for vacuum leaks.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Are you pushing in the clutch when you come to a stop? Will stall for sure if you don't... LMAO
Is that what the extra pedal on the left is??? LOL

I did a quick test of the dash pot and it seems to be okay. And I don't think I have a vacuum leak as all the lines are new, I have looked them over and the engine idles perrrrrrfect except when comeing to a stop and I push that funny pedal on the left down. If there is no extra load (i.e. A/C) then it just drops below idle for a moment then back to idle. Kinda like when you take a big jump without enough rebound in your shocks, you know you when get that little hop...

I will post more later...
Old 03-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi movindirt-
did you find a solution to your stalling problem?
I have the same issue with stalling. it varies day by day but stalls.
I have some PIAAs and a GPS running now...I wonder if this has anything to do with the load on the battery.
I am planning on changing the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, cleaning the throttle body, checking for leaks etc.
also adjusting timing screw.
If you have learned anything about this since January, or if anyone else has suggestions for the 3vze stall problem please let me know

-would changing the battery help?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 AM

I dont know if it is the same but my 22RE pickup had this problem. I tried all kinds of stuff like you have and then decided to go w/ a new battery. I swapped over to an optima red top battery and i havent had the problem since. Just thought id throw my 2 cents in.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

nice advice

This is great advice. A new battery may be the ticket.
I have been considering a new battery from costco (kirkland brand).
I want to get something appropriate for the 4runner however.
I would be interested in hearing the beat choice for a battery as well as sparkplugs and wires.
I am going to search through other forums for this info but also thought that it might be good to have on this thread as well.
thanks in advance.
TW
Old 03-26-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by movindirt
Hello All,

This is my first post since I found this site a few days ago. I have been looking around and have founds tons of good information. This site rocks!

Now to my question/ problem. I have a 92' pickup w/ 3.0 and 5spd manual. The problem I have is in during the summer when I have to run the A/C my truck stalls when I first come to a stop, release gas pedal quickly. The rpm's drop below idle for a moment then return to idle if it does not stall. It does the same thing without the A/C on but without the extra load it does not stall. It does not stall with the A/C on for defrost though. It has had this problem for a very long time. I bought the truck used and the dealer (not toyota) ended up putting a ne top end on the motor. I saw the motor torn down so I know the work was done, how well is anyother story.

I made several trips to the dealer and after they rebuilt the top end I gave up because they seemed to not have a clue at what was wrong and I figured I would just do it myself. It wasn't a big deal in San Diego because I hardly ever needed A/C but here in Yuba City it hits 100+ in the summer so it is really not an option. I would like to get this figured out before summer comes.

I have since replaced the cap/rotor, plug wires and plugs (found the dealer put 3 plugs on one side that matched themselves but didn't belong on this motor) new ignighter, O2 sen., cleaned TB, check TPS and flow meter. Have I missed something?

The truck runs okay otherwise, not much power but I am comparing to a my Ranger with a 4.0.

I only found one other thread that had someone with what seems to be the same problem but I can't seem to post there?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Greetings,
2 things come to mind, one, how is your idle? 2nd when the ac is on it creates a load on the engine so there's a white plastic screw on the pass. side of the engine, turn your AC on and adjust this screw to bring the idle up! This screw is called an AC idle up adjustment. Another problem that it might be also is your dashpot, I seen that mentioned before, could be! Try disabling it and take her for a ride, they go bad!
Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

How about a brake booster going bad. It creates a vacuum leak when the brake pedal is pressed down. You can check it under the hood with a vacuum pump, or alternatively find a nice open stretch of road and come to a stop using your parking brake. Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 PM

I have the same problem except mine does not stall completley I just got this truck and I think the brake lines and power steering lines go into this distro block that feeds both so by taking hydraulic fluid that supplies the brakes and ps pump it could put strain on the ps pulley which would cause the engine to idel lower not sure if this is the cause as I am new to toyotas but have seen in the past that by straining the ps it could cause the engines rpm's to drop let me know what you find as I will be tackling this very soon

Last edited by JPW0504; 03-28-2006 at 11:13 PM. Reason: grammar