86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 pickup (22re) Hesitation and jerky acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 pickup (22re) Hesitation and jerky acceleration

Ok first of all, hello to everyone. I have been lurking here for a bit, and have picked up tons of great information. My 92 pickup has been running like a champ for the first year or two I have owned it. Now it has developed some problems of which I cannot figure out the cause. The truck has roughly 270k, and is a manual trans. It hesitates when I accelerate. Sometimes so bad, it feels as if the truck is jerking. Other times it is mild. Sometimes it will go a whole day or two of driving with little or no problems, though lately its been every day. It used to idle very rough, and sometimes stall, but I adjusted the ignition timing and idle speed and now it seems to idle fine. Here is everything I have done to it recently.
- Oil change + filter
- Fuel filter (around a month or so ago. boy what a pain that was)
- Spark plugs and wires
- Air filter
- o2 sensor
- Distributor cap and rotor
- Checked for vaccum leaks using stater fluid

also it leaks oil. but that is a whole new topic lol. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the throttle body, cleaning it, and checking tps and adjusting if nessesary, and putting on a new cat. Maybe I will have a look at the injectors while Im at it. Does anyone know if this will help? If anyone has any ideas or advice please share the wisdom. I am stumped. Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM

id put money on a tps adjustment. try driving the reuck with it unplugged and see if the symptoms go away. also, a throbble body cleaning will be good. when i took my 7mge apart for a rebuild the front of the throttle body was fairly clean and the back side was absolutly caked with gunk. good luck! migh want to look into replacing the 2 tps srcews with some allen head srcews so if you need to make fine adjustments when its all back together it'll be much easier
Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Ok thanks for the advice. I read about the allen head screws and I was considering doing that. Does anyone know how I would go about checking rhe fuel injectors? I listened to them with a stethoscope and they all seem to be clicking. Can I assume from this that they are in good shape? Can I clean them myself somehow if needed?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Hi, I know your rig is the 22re, but it sounds like our rigs have similar issues. I have the 5vz and it was doing a stuttering at acceleration and sputter here and there before it would push through.

I pulled several codes from the MIL, SL solenoid malfunction, mis-fire 3 and 6 cyl, multiple misfire, and bank one o2.

I so far changed oil and filter, checked o2, my air filter is cone style K & n, and dropped the pan on the tranny to test solenoids, and clean filter. Two test between 11-15 like the manual says, but the other kicks out at 22ohms. ( I think that is the bad one )

Changed plugs today and saw the two carbon fouled, etc, and fired it up.

It drove without stutter and hesitation, but still idles hard. In addition, I clean the front of the throttle body which was gummed up.

I thought I'd share, I hope not a hi-jack, but my next check will be the TPS and adjusting the idle speed.

Is it common for the injectors to clog up??

Are you pulling any cat codes? Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Im guessing yours is an automatic? Mine is a manual so I cant help you out much there. As far as the rough idle I would check and adjust Idle speed and ignition timing. Both of these were off on mine and it fixed the rough idle problem. I have not pulled any cat codes. I did pull a code 21, which led me to belive my 02 sensor was failing. I replaced that, (pretty sure it was the original. I have 270k on this truck lol). So i figure the cat is probably original and should be changed anyways. Maybe its clogged up or something. I dont know if its common for the injectors to clog, but from what i've read it seems they are prone to leaking and such.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd run some injector cleaner and upper cylinder cleaner through your engine (Lucas makes a nice cleaner) as well as clean the air flow sensor.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 AM

Check this thread:

http://repairpal.com/rough-idle-bad-hesitation-on-acceleration-perfect-idle-with-tps-disconnected-614

Its not a 22RE, but perhaps that doesn't matter. Perhaps the solution is electrical?