86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 3.0 HG diagnosis, questions (and replacement?) thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
you need new head bolts, that's for sure.

I have a parts list in my son's thread....somewhere.....where we've been getting parts from.

i can be more help tonight if you don't read up on his thread, but i'm off to work now.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 toy - I was hesitant to get new headbolts when I thought they were going to be over $200. But following a link on your sons build thread I found them here:

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page14.html

for $37.95. That's doable.

So thanks for your OCDish parts research. I need to figure out everything I am buying and hopefully I'll get it all ordered this week sometime.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by abj27
92 toy - I was hesitant to get new headbolts when I thought they were going to be over $200. But following a link on your sons build thread I found them here:

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page14.html

for $37.95. That's doable.

So thanks for your OCDish parts research. I need to figure out everything I am buying and hopefully I'll get it all ordered this week sometime.

although I didn't order anything from them, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

that's close to what I paid, I believe, from LC Engineering.

to summarize:
Dayco timing stuff from Advance Auto (they frequently have free shipping and other discount codes.....so at that time, it was the best price I found)

AISIN water pump and Oil Pump from Auto Parts Warehouse (free shipping and best prices)

Head Bolts / freeze plugs / exhaust studs from LC Engineering(i really just wanted the studs but since shipping was so pricey, I ordered the other stuff too to kinda make it worthwhile)

"engine overhaul gasket set" from DEALER DIRECT PARTS as well as some odds and ends (PCV valve, motor mount nuts and bolts,pigtail(knock-sensor wire)front oil seal (is not included with the oil pump...anywhere).....anyway, they have FREE SHIPPING, so I saved like $15 compared to the best prices I found anywhere else.

AISIN clutch from Wab-Fab using the YOTATECH discount......came to about $17 more than the best price I found but I feel better ordering from Brian (a moderator here) than some anonymous EBAY store.

of course, then we have the Doug Thorley headers......a "nice to have" kinda thing.......just because I've heard so much in regards to that crossover pipe cooking the backs of the heads and valves........best price I got was on EBAY (not sure if it fits your year but I believe it does.....Doug Thorley 505c Headers......about $600.....but I saved 10% with an EBAY coupon I had.....so it came in at about $40 or so cheaper than Summit Racing.

that's about all I can think of right now off the top of my head......let me know if you can think of anything. The luxury I have is time......this vehicle is just sitting.....my son just turned 15, there is no insurance on it, so it's not costing us any money just leaving it sit there in pieces.......just really anxious to get back to it to have it running for summer to drive around with the top off.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 03-01-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 PM

So I was looking at LC engineering and they have a 3VZ head gasket set. It says it has MLS style head gaskets. Anyway, it seems to good to be true that that's all I need cause it is only $125 as seen here:

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...7-E052FC19BB85

So what is that?

I can't seem to find the "engine overhaul gasket set" on dealer direct parts. But I'll probably just give them a call tomorrow and see if I can't find it then.

Just looking at your list of parts, I wasn't planning on doing the oil pump. I haven't heard of those failing too often. And I have never even heard of a freeze plug. I don't know what it is or if I should or shouldn't be replacing it.

92 toy: reading your thread makes me want to pull the whole thing and paint it all pretty like you're doing. However, this needs to be running soon as my wife and I are getting tired of sharing one car. Thanks for all the help though
Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 AM

freeze plugs are the 6 bottle-cap looking things around the block (3 on each side) that allow the coolant(or water) to expand "out" in case they freeze. had one pop out while the motor was on the stand and froze in our garage so it and it's 5 friends are getting replaced.

dealer direct parts does not have a good web-site. i got frustrated and just called them. like i said, FREE SHIPPING is what sealed the deal for me but the "engine overhaul gasket set" is a complete (mostly complete) gasket set of Toyota stuff......prices you will find with the dealer range from about $305 to over $400.....but in retrospect, the bulk of that price is made up of 2 head gaskets and 2 exhaust gaskets which account for probably over $250 of it.

although I've ordered from LC Engineering before and would again, I was not impressed when I asked them a question about that gasket set.......I believe I asked them for an itemized "list of ingredients" so that I could see if it was an "apples to apples" kinda thing comparing their kit to the engine overhaul gasket set.....ya know, because the file picture says something like the picture does not necessarily represent that kit.......the 1st reply was them sending me that picture.......to which I replied that the caption says what i just said, and they said, nope, thats whats in it.........so i was pretty turned off by that and decided to just go with TOYOTA head gaskets etc etc etc.........you will also get the metal washers for the fuel rail stuff.....which are supposed to not be re-used.

i'm kinda boring and really OCD about this stuff, so I feel confident that I bought the best stuff at the best prices while keeping in mind the amount of work that would have to be done in the future to be back at the point we are today.........so that's why we are doing the oil pump too.

any other questions , please ask me......I can take pictures of anything that is puzzling you. I received so much help when I did my 22re that i am forever indebted to YOTATECH and these guys that helped me that I am perfectly willing and able to help whenever i can. especially because you have taken the time to read that thread and do your own research too.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by abj27
So I was looking at LC engineering and they have a 3VZ head gasket set. It says it has MLS style head gaskets. Anyway, it seems to good to be true that that's all I need cause it is only $125 as seen here:

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...7-E052FC19BB85

So what is that?

I can't seem to find the "engine overhaul gasket set" on dealer direct parts. But I'll probably just give them a call tomorrow and see if I can't find it then.

Just looking at your list of parts, I wasn't planning on doing the oil pump. I haven't heard of those failing too often. And I have never even heard of a freeze plug. I don't know what it is or if I should or shouldn't be replacing it.

92 toy: reading your thread makes me want to pull the whole thing and paint it all pretty like you're doing. However, this needs to be running soon as my wife and I are getting tired of sharing one car. Thanks for all the help though
one more thing.....as far as pulling the motor.....in re-reading my son's thread, i annoyed myself reading it all and me debating about pulling the motor. when i did my motor (THREAD B in my sig), I did not pull the motor, as this was my 1st experience with anything more difficult than changing my tires.....I had never even changed my own oil until just a short whike before I rebuilt my motor.

Joe's motor was such a complete oily mess from leaky valve covers that we puled it out for the two reasons of much easier to work on and the ability to degrease it and the engine bay.

i forget what point you are at with your's.....if you have the heads off or not, but if you have gotten that far......i probably wouldn't pull it....for a few reasons....one being that you have done all the impossible hard work so far and two, you lost your lift points if you have the heads off and would essentially have to "diaper" the motor to get it out.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 AM

So I just dropped my heads off at the machine shop. They want $25 per head to resurface them and $35 per head to pressure test them. I know I want them resurfaced, but how important is the pressure test? Any help?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short answer: I paid $200 to have a full valve job done on both heads.

Long Answer: The machinist's testing revealed I had cracks in my old heads so I had to find good used ones from a salvage yard... that cost $200 more.

Had my original heads been good, it only would have only cost $200, where you are looking at $120 for resurfacing and compression testing only. My advice would be to let the machine shop test them so you don't put all the time and money into re-installing your old heads without knowing they are in good shape.

Last edited by Wrenchinjoe; 03-05-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM

After giving it some thought I decided to see about getting the valves done too. I called up the shop and they said they would do resurface, pressure test and valves on both heads for $200. So I decided to go for it. I dropped off the camshafts today so they can do the valves too. Still need to order parts though...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM

any guesses why the gasket set found here:

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page28.html

is so cheap? Is it a bad idea?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 PM

I called Dealer Direct parts and they said they didn't have a engine overhaul gasket set. I probably just got someone on the phone that didn't know what they were doing. So I'm about to go cheap and get all my parts off of partsdinosaur.com unless someone else manages to convince me otherwise quickly.

Other than that not much progress. I need to clean the block this weekend.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

you got someone that didn't know
Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

call them up and give them the part#....based on your VIN from toyotapartszone.com
Old 03-18-2011, 04:09 PM

So I got my gasket kit and I'm having a problem. See pic below:

It seems like I should have two of these gaskets, but I only got one new one. Plus the center hole diameter is larger on the new gasket. Any ideas? Or does the new gasket go somewhere else and I'm just not remembering it right now.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Oh yeah, and I think I should update on my parts list in case anyone was wondering. I ordered all my stuff from parts dinosaur. Here's what I got:

1 3VZE Toyota Head Bolts Set T-T-Y $37.95
1 3VZE Toyota 3.0 Timing Belt (1993- 95) $32.00
1 3VZE Toyota Timing Belt Idler (Upper) $48.95
1 3VZE Toyota New Water Pump (93-95)(with outlet elbow $39.68
6 3VZE Toyota 3.0 V-6 Fuel Injector Seal $3.95 x 6
1 Permatex RTV Ultra Grey Sealer $5.99
1 3VZE Toyota 3.0 Head Gasket Set $99.00

With shipping it came to $298.65

Now I know a ton of people swear by the official Toyota head gasket set and I didn't get it. But it was $200 more! I decided it was a risk I was willing to take. Not to mention I only put about 5000 miles per year on this truck, so even if the new gasket only makes it 50000 miles that'll be plenty for me. If/when it does fail I will let you all know. We'll consider it an experiment in the cheap gasket set.

I did find that the head bolts set does not come with new washers. which would be fine except that I seem to have lost one. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere in the garage...

That whole gasket kit does intimidate me a bit. So many gaskets with no labels. I'm gonna check out redyota91's HG thread though. I seem to remember a good pic with some help on where they all go.

I also got my heads back from the machine shop. They sure are clean

So, total cost so far:

parts: $298.65
Craftsman 18" 1/2" drive breaker bar: $35
Head resurface, pressure test & valve job: $200
2 x oil changes and filters: $40

that's all I can think of right now. I'll try and do a more complete summary of expenditures upon completion.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM

am I supposed to be putting down any sort of gasket sealer with these headgaskets? I am inclined to say no, as the FSM makes no mention of it. Plus I am afraid I would do more harm than good putting it down unevenly or doing too much of it. Anyone done this and have some input?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM

Also, I broke this:

thanks to redYota91 for the pic. This is actually from his HG thread, but mine looks the same - broken.

Is this the part I'm looking for:

item no. 23262 in the pic? Cause toyota parts zone has it for $50. seems like a lot for a little piece of plastic
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM

I am also in the middle of a 3VZE rebuild! One thing I would recommend replacing before you put the heads and intake maifold back on is a new knock sensor and wire that sits in the middle of the motor under the lower intake manifold! I have heard of guys rebuilding their motors and this part going out soon after, and having to tear the engine back down and replace that simple little part! Simple part doesnt imply cheap though. I paid 180 for the sensor and 15 for the wire from Toyota, but its peace of mind that I bought. Just a heads up that I was given and thought I would pass on to you! Good luck with the rest of your rebuild!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM

somehow i missed the last few posts.

NO...NOTHING except the gaskets goes on....no sealer.

yeh......i was petrified to break that sensor thingy or whatever it is......i used a scalpel to cut the hose rather than pull it off. still have a chance to break it putting it on though.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM

@YotaDaniel: Thanks for the advice but I'm gonna pass. There are a million things I could do while it's in pieces but I'm just trying to get it back together for cheap at this point. That is good advice though.

@92 Toy: thanks, that's what I thought. I actually tried getting the heads on last weekend (without any sealer) and had a mishap that resulted in bending and cracking my brand new left head gasket . But I got a new one in the mail yesterday, so I'll try again this weekend. I'll post a more thorough account and some pics when I get around to uploading those pics...
I wish you would hurry and get yours together before me so I could read your thread

next question: I'm gonna try to install the heads with the crossover already torqued onto one of the heads. So which side is more of a hassle to get to while in the engine bay? I'm thinking left side is going to be a little easier to get to so I plan on bolting the crossover to the passenger side head before installing. Input?

Quick Reply: 92 3.0 HG diagnosis, questions (and replacement?) thread