86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'89 Pickup Manual Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '89 Pickup Manual Shifting Problem

Hey all, I scoured the forums, and while finding many similar cases, I didn't stumble across anything like this, so I figure I'll ask away.

Vehicle info: '89 SR5 pickup, 22RE/5spd, 2WD, 240K

My problems started about 6 weeks ago when I was driving home from work. Shifted into 2nd getting on the freeway and 2nd gear ground pretty bad. Shook it off as a crappy shift on my part, and told myself to be careful. Nothing happened again for about 3 weeks. Then about 3 days ago, practically overnight, the truck starts grinding on about 7/10 of its shifts, regardless of gear (although it seemed most common in 1, 2, &4). I immediately stopped driving it after that day, so I wouldn't screw anything up. Experimenting with it in the driveway, I noticed that the shifter will actually slowly slide from 1st to neutral as I let the clutch out with it in first; the truck does not move and the clutch doesn't feel like it engages at all when I do this. I have tried holding the shifter in 1st and letting the clutch out to prevent the stick from moving, and it grinds BAD when I do that. 1st gear is completely unusable. The truck has always had a pretty soft clutch, pedal is easy to depress and catches slowly, it's definitely an older clutch. Is it just clutch time, or does this sound like something else?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you ever replaced the shifter seat? I would start there. Marlin Crawler makes a good one.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...avy-duty-seats You need the white one. I would also replace the socket.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmtoy
Have you ever replaced the shifter seat? I would start there. Marlin Crawler makes a good one.
Yes, I have seen that. I actually ordered both of the shifter bushings from my local Toyota dealer yesterday, they'll be in in a couple of days. My shifter has virtually no slop in it though so I don't think they'll be bad. I'm just amazed at how bad it got this fast.