Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 Toyota Pickup acceleration issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 87 Toyota Pickup acceleration issues

Hey all,

Trying to diagnose and trouble shoot some issues I've been having - im going to try to be as detailed as possible so that hopefully someone can help me out.

The truck is an 87 Toyota pickup with the 22r (weber 32/36 carb) the carb has no fuel regulator (planning on getting one soon). I have deleted the EGR and vacuum lines and put block plates in their place. The only vacuum lines I have connected is the one from the weber to the dizzy (closest to the rad) and the other side blocked off. The timing is set to 0 degrees and advances to around 8? I believe with the vacuum line connected. The next thing I think is notable is that I have swapped from the stock igniter/coil as the igniter went bad and swapped over to the HEI GM swap ignition module and coil. Also has an exhaust leak from exhaust manifold/downpipe can't really tell where exactly yet, haven't looked at it.

Anyways so onto my issue. It starts up just fine, other than the fast idle being really high and only disengaging when I pump the gas pedal once. It mostly idles fine, other than the odd time it starts stumbling a bit (sort of like a small misfire) but its at random times and usually goes away after a little while but makes the engine shake a bit and stumble. My main issue is when accelerating particularly at lower rpms, it feels like there is a fuel cut and it bucks followed by either a backfire out of the carb or out the exhaust (hard to tell which one) and it only seems to buck and act up when it is in gear, if I keep it in neutral and rev it, it seems to have all of its power and not have the dead spot or fuel cut but will still backfire a bit if I rev it high enough and it backfires on decel.

To my understanding, to me it seems like a vacuum leak or the timing is off by a bit? Does anyone have absolutely any suggestions that I can check/try? I've seen some people say I should advance the timing quite a bit more with the weber carb? is that true?

Anyways, I hope someone can come up with suggestions for me to try out,

Thank you
Old 06-03-2022, 03:56 PM

Bump - Anyone have some ideas?
Old 06-04-2022, 05:35 AM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanTaylor
The only vacuum lines I have connected is the one from the weber to the dizzy (closest to the rad) and the other side blocked off.
You've got this backwards. You're currently feeding vacuum to the "retard" side of the vacuum advance. The port on the vacuum advance closest to the distributor body is the advance port. Switch this around vice-versa & recheck your engine timing & see how it goes.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:35 PM

Not to sound rude, but I don't believe that's true. The one closest to the rad is the vacuum advance. I did try it for ˟˟˟˟s and it ran like garbage and would only advance a couple degrees. When the other side is hooked up it advances like 10/15 degrees or something along those lines.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:14 AM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
@JordanTaylor You are not being rude & you were right to call me on this. Upon further review I whole-heartedly retract what I said in my previous post.
You are correct, The advance port on the vacuum advance is the one closest to the radiator side.
I apologize for the misleading info I posted.

"Never give advice or do anything important before you've finished your morning coffee."
Old 06-06-2022, 03:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Is this a recent 32/36 install?