86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 22re Coolant Temp sensor volcano!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22re Coolant Temp sensor volcano!

Ok so driving home from work today my temp sensor, which the PO apparently JB Welded into the water outlet, volcano'd on me...

So after digging around with the schucks guy through books, boxes and what not we found the right one, single wire temp sensor a WT600. Brought it back to the 4runner and bang...my threads are messed up!

So in looking in the FSM the water outlet on page CO-7 does not even show the port in the following pic...Anyone have any clue to which thermostate water outlet I actually have? I'm going to try to find one at the wrecking yard tomorrow but alas that may not be doable...

To the left in the pic you can see the jb welded temp sensor, I have a new temp sensor now but no place to install it...

Name:  0_3.jpg
Views: 19786
Size:  107.4 KB

also found this diagram that doesn't show the port their as well...

Well off to have dinner, prolly won't check this again for a bit since I can't get parts today anyhow...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think 86 was the only year that had the temp sensor on the thermost housing. Your going to need to find a new thermostat elbow and get a new sensor and replace both.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Thanks myyota...that helped when calling places or else it would have been a wild goose chase...unfortunately Schucks, Napa, and Carquest did not have one with the port on it...neither did the 3 junkyards closest to me...Called my parts guy at Vancouver Toyota he did some looking and that water outlet does not exist anymore from Toyota...soooo after a little research he said that temp sensor is for the A/C shut off (or something like that) and that since my A/C is disconnected anyhow I can just run without it for now...

So I guess for the time being until I can A.) Find one in a jy or B.) Retap the hole I can just use a water outlet from upto 95...Went to carquest and grabbed one, tossed in a new thermostat while i was there and the runner is up and going again weeee!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 87 turbo 22re has a sensor in the top. and my buddies 84 pickup. and my old 86 4 runner did.

but like said. none of my local shops had one..

i got lucky and found one in the junkyard....

you could try the dealer?

Last edited by weaselman; 04-07-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Yea i checked with the dealer...its discontinued part...so hopefully sometime I'll find it it the jy
Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 PM

hi guys does that thermostat sensor on top of the water outlet have a 2 prong connector or single prong?

i have an 87 4runner 22re and it has a single prong connector on the temp sensor. However I went to my local autoparts stores to get a new one and both places wanted to sell me a dual prong temp sensor.
BTW,i have a single blck/grn wire going to the temp sensor on the outlet.

Last edited by budgetbuilder; 08-12-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its just a single wire going to that temp sensor.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 PM

Had the same problem i had to retap to bigger size got it to work just fine AutoZone had the retap kit 14.99............
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Just use a bushing to get it back to corret size...............
Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya my truck has two sensors there. And mine did the same thing. Ended up getting it welded and re-tapped
Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have actually ended up buying the t stat housing from autzone which has NO ports in it, drilling and tapping the correct thread size to accept stock senders. PLUS and aftermarket gauge.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Irish Death
Thanks myyota...that helped when calling places or else it would have been a wild goose chase...unfortunately Schucks, Napa, and Carquest did not have one with the port on it...neither did the 3 junkyards closest to me...Called my parts guy at Vancouver Toyota he did some looking and that water outlet does not exist anymore from Toyota...soooo after a little research he said that temp sensor is for the A/C shut off (or something like that) and that since my A/C is disconnected anyhow I can just run without it for now...

So I guess for the time being until I can A.) Find one in a jy or B.) Retap the hole I can just use a water outlet from upto 95...Went to carquest and grabbed one, tossed in a new thermostat while i was there and the runner is up and going again weeee!!!!
LCE sells an OE replica t-stat housing, predrilled for the sensor on the housing. They sell it, due to demand to add a temp gauge to models without it. They also have a piece you can place inline of the upper rad hose that does the same thing.

That sensor was not only on the 86 model. It was on the first gen EFI. IIRC, it was the temp sensor for the ECU. The temp sender for the gauge, is buried deeper on the intake. Centered between number 2 and 3 cylinders. The later model EFI, the sensor for the gauge was the same as for the ECU, allowing them to eliminate the bung in the t-stat housing. One less part, less wiring, and one less hole to drill and tap. For reference, I do not have A/C and I have that exact sensor on mine. The only purpose for a temp sensor for A/C, is for electric fans.

O.P, did you ask for a "coolant temp sensor" or the "temp SENDER" for the gauge? I only ask, because you should have asked for the first.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yotafoot
LCE sells an OE replica t-stat housing, predrilled for the sensor on the housing. They sell it, due to demand to add a temp gauge to models without it.
No they don't.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by xylicon
No they don't.
Yes, they do. Part number 1032067, for $55.95. Modeled after the 81-83 style housing. The in-line unit is part number 1033001, for $22.95.

Next time, check first. Don't assume. Those numbers and prices are current, as of september 2012.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 PM

So did you check where Yotafoot suggested to see if you have a sender there?

The problem with owning a 95 is that everything I see on my own truck is the absolute last word that Toyota ever had and so I don't see any of this type of stuff.

It should be noted because a lot of people have this issue, that there are TWO coolant temperature sensors on most vehicles. The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT in the manuals) Sensor is a two wire sensor usually mounted right below the outlet manifold, next to the cold start solenoid. Then there's the temperature gauge sender which is a single wire and located in between the #2 and 3 cylinders on the inlet manifold.

I can't imagine that sensor could ever be used for the ECU because it's in a really bad spot to measure actual engine temperature. I'd be really interested to know if it's purely for AC and therefore there's also another sensor for the combometer gauge. Also, the ECU sensor is two wires for a very good reason, so a single wire gauge simply won't work.

PS xylicon, they do sell it, under cooling->accessories and it's a whopping 67$...
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Alot of part stores list that sensor as a temp switch and usually run less than 15 bucks. If the threads aren't to cheesed run a tap throught it and teflon tape the sensor/switch that's how I got mine back together and its still going strong
Old 12-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xylicon
No they don't.
You are correct.

Originally Posted by Yotafoot
Yes, they do. Part number 1032067, for $55.95. Modeled after the 81-83 style housing. The in-line unit is part number 1033001, for $22.95.

Next time, check first. Don't assume. Those numbers and prices are current, as of september 2012.
This part -> 22R Thermostat Housing/Water Neck (81-83) <- is for a carb'd 22R . . . the snout is too short & would point right into the valve cover on a 22RE + the sensor wouldn't fit sticking out to the side like that
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jerry507
PS xylicon, they do sell it, under cooling->accessories and it's a whopping 67$...
My previous post still holds true, the only thing I see there is one for a carbed 22r which will not work on a 22RE.

It would be nice if LC did sell what OP is looking for, I myself would buy a couple.

Last edited by xylicon; 12-03-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jeetS
ya my truck has two sensors there.
Mine too. I never figured out why there were TWO sensors in the water neck plus a third for the ECU below it.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM

I'd be really interested to know why there are two sensors. These sensors in the water outlet, they're always a single wire?

Quick Reply: 86 22re Coolant Temp sensor volcano!