Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4.10's out, 4.56's in!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Funny stuff. Ok, so I might have exploited the wife while she is in a giving mood. Just picked up some 5 star rims off a 2000 4Runner. Only have about 400 bucks left with all the money she alotted me, so I was looking at getting some treadwrights to go on there. I was gonna get the BFG A/T knock offs, but she said get the Guard Dog M/T's instead. She said they looked cooler. Not gonna argue. So if I get M/T's thrown on there, I am gonna have to take it out wheeling! Can't just run M/T's on the streets of Tacoma!!

Pretty sure I will be outlawed from buying stuff for the next 6 months, maybe longer. Which I must say I am ok with given the week I have had!

God I love craigslist!

Last edited by kiyobrown; 12-16-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Dang man, those are freakin nice!!! Mmmmmm mud tires!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Well I figure I can make a little of it back when I sell the rims and tires I have on there now. Probably should buy her something nice with that money.... Or my luck may run out!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Well, I have this week off of work, so I decided today was the day to throw my set of 4.56's I got off craigslist. Had to get them from 2 different people, but all in all I spent $220 for the gears. Not bad at all. It took a while, but thats mostly because I wasn't on a time table so I stopped for lunch, walked over to the parts store for some gear oil, etc.

Everything went smooth, but man, somethings are hard to put back together when you are working solo. My wife did help with the front diff. She pumped up the floor jack while I balanced the diff on it. Good work, wife!!

I have read all the folks on here saying regearing is a waste or you won't feel a difference. When I had 31's on my 88 4runner with the 3.0, the speedo was off, but I didn't feel much of a difference. The 22re, however, was a huge difference!!!

Thanks to everyone on YT, since this is where I got all the info to do the swap. From proper gears to buy to steps to do the swap, I wouldn't have attempted it otherwise.

Jason
Wow! Re-gearing, LCE headers & complete exhaust system add a K & N filter and thats my whole wish list. Can't wait to hear the difference you notice when you put on the header, cat and exhaust. Sounds like bumping up to the 4.56's made a huge difference? I have a '86 22r 5spd P/U on 31's and man is it SLOW!!!

Better take care of the wife this Christmas...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 86 TOY
Wow! Re-gearing, LCE headers & complete exhaust system add a K & N filter and thats my whole wish list. Can't wait to hear the difference you notice when you put on the header, cat and exhaust. Sounds like bumping up to the 4.56's made a huge difference? I have a '86 22r 5spd P/U on 31's and man is it SLOW!!!

Better take care of the wife this Christmas...

The gear swap made a huge difference. Needs way less throttle to get through each gear. Doesn't take 3 miles or a downshift to pass someone on the freeway, either. And instead of the K&N, check out the Supra MAF swap thread Junkers88 started. I won't be needing the K&N, especially when the supra swap cost about $80 when it was all said and done!!

And she will be taken care of. Man, she is cool. Just this past April she got me a softopper for my 30th birthday. That thing is cool as hell, too.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah, I thought about it, I have read some folks on here felt like they lost a little bottom end with too big of an exhaust. The other option was going to be obx headers on ebay, with a magnaflow 2" cat and pacesetter exhaust from Summit. The pacesetter is 2" before the muffler, 2 1/4 out to a 3" tip.

And I just thought of this Vitaly, Maybe thats why your exhaust is burning hot, time for an upgrade?

I mulled over options with the wife, she told me "just get the good stuff, its not that much more." Can't complain too much about that, right?

I guess if its a little much, I can sell you the exhaust kit and downgrade to the pacesetter.
haha well it may be burning hot now... I wonder what its gonna do with a s/c on it this summer I may have found one on cl for 1300 gonna see if i can talk him down to 1000.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:31 AM

Ooh, I saw that on there yesterday! That would sweet. You get your new hood on there yet?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
sweet! did you do the "YotaWorks IFS diff Studless kit"??
Could you point me to some more information about this? I did some searching and can't seem to find any about it.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a kit I am starting to put together... It replaces the studs on the diff so it's raiser to change out cvs or the 3rd for that matter. I will start a thread on it shortly.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Wheres the kit??!??

Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Engineer
Could you point me to some more information about this? I did some searching and can't seem to find any about it.

Trust me, it made the front diff swap much easier. If you have ever taken a diff out you will notice its a little bit of a pain to separate the cv's from the diff, since the studs are in the way. Now, when you are supporting the weight of it trying to get it back into place and making sure the studs aren't binding up the cv's on the way in, you'll see why this helps.

Basically, when reinstalling the front diff, I had to balance the diff on a jack while my wife raised it up. The only thing I had to line up was the front bolt hole on the crossmember. Once that bolt was in, the wife left and everything else could be done solo. I would have needed a second set of hands under the rig balancing as well as lining up and moving the cv's around as the diff was put in place.

Thanks to Tofer who saved me a lot of cuss words during this point of the swap!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Wheres the kit??!??

For you Logan, just send the $$$$$$$$$$$$ (note thats a lot of signs..) And I will send it right up!! I am helping Tofer tonight if he gets off work in time, I can round up a kit for you.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet man!! It'll give me another excuse to keep the truck in the garage longer!!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:09 AM

Thanks Logan! Almost done now! Headers, exhaust, new tires........

Get your stuff in yet? Headers? Exhaust? Did anybody else get a coupon for 10% off on any order placed before Jan. 31st from LCE in their monthly newsletter? Do they do that often? I just signed up to receive them last month.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Well, of course they sent me that after I ordered it. My header,cat and stud kit came yesterday. BBP convinced me to wait and swap it all at once, my exhaust leak still seals up after warmup. Now I wonder if Ricky ever got his pair flanges taken care of? I still have to look and see if I need a washer or two to space the bolt holding off those pair blockoff plates.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, of course they sent me that after I ordered it. My header,cat and stud kit came yesterday. BBP convinced me to wait and swap it all at once, my exhaust leak still seals up after warmup. Now I wonder if Ricky ever got his pair flanges taken care of? I still have to look and see if I need a washer or two to space the bolt holding off those pair blockoff plates.
I did get the flanges taken care of. I filed the flanges a little and then used two sets of gaskets and Copper Coat. I still want to install the third stud in each side and put a nut on there I just haven't had time yet.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM

The third stud. Thats where I have the short little bolts for the blockoff plate. Did it seal up the leak, or are you getting a little through the third holes? and what about the third hole down on the middle bottom of the header? I know bleeder had a little leak coming from that spot and threw a stud in that spot as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The third stud. Thats where I have the short little bolts for the blockoff plate. Did it seal up the leak, or are you getting a little through the third holes? and what about the third hole down on the middle bottom of the header? I know bleeder had a little leak coming from that spot and threw a stud in that spot as well.
The leak is sealed to the point that I can't hear anything but I can feel a little tiny one at the top of the front plate right above where the third stud will be going.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Well, of course they sent me that after I ordered it. My header,cat and stud kit came yesterday.
Stud set? What stud set are you talking about? If I buy their header for my 22r should I buy a stud set?

Is this the one you're talking about:
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...5-4e8f9c45b1c9
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Thats the one I got. I got it bc I have a stud free spinning, its damaged as well as the threads in the head. so I am helicoiling all the holes and going with the new studs. I already got the studs, and I can tell you they are a little longer threads, so hopefully it will allow for proper torquing without any problems.

It's up to you if you want it or not. I don't think it's a "must buy" or they would include it and jack up the price.

Quick Reply: 4.10's out, 4.56's in!!