86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 intake manifold port/polish?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 intake manifold port/polish?

Hi Everybody, new to the site, so please don't yell at me if I post something that's already been discussed. I saw a thread a while back where a guy did a port and Polish on his upper intake manifold. He cut it in half across the tubes, did the port and Polish on both halves and then welded it back together. He did a pretty darn good job too I might add. I haven't looked for it in a while and I don't remember if he did the lower manifold as well. But I guess my question here is whether this can be done without having to cut and weld. Also I've seen intake manifolds/plenums for the Supra and xB that can give you a 30-60HP boost just from bolting it on... why has no one done this for the 3VZE???!!! HP is hard to come by with these engines, it'd make things so much easier, and whoever would make one would make a ton of money too, cause I know we're all looking for something quick and easy to add power. GUDE and LCE already make them for the 22RE... maybe I'm just dealing with the wrong engine, but just the same, I'd like to see what I can do with what I've got.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM

That would be amazing with the 3.slow!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Inu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shap of the upper is kindof a pain. The only way i could think of to not at least cut the back chamber off is the.hydro medium stuff. Sorry dont know the proper name but its a pro shop kinda setup. Looking at my heads last time they were off i'd start there, intake does little if the heads the problem.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM
RSR

Lower should be fine to do w/o cutting. It's just straight tubes so should be able to be ported on a shop press type setup. The curves of the plenum are such that you have to cut...

Have you already done the supra intake swap, isr delete, ported and polished throttle body, new high flow exhaust including headers and hi flow cat and high flow muffler and mandrel bends, performance heads w/ oversized valves, performance cams, supra ignition coil, 8mm wires, spark plugs to supra specs, adjusted your timing for performance, installed a wideband O2 sensor to tune your AFM, performance injectors, etc? If not, start on any of these first before worrying about the plenum (it should be the last of your concerns). All of these others are far more restrictive than the plenum despite its piss poor design. One thing you could do w/ your plenum is to take it off and have a radiator shop boil it to remove 20-25 years of gunk. That would be a big performance benefit before cutting it in half... And a little bit of texture inside the plenum helps to disturb the air for more optimal air intake -- you don't want your plenum to have a glass polish.

Last edited by RSR; 07-30-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM

No headers or anything too fancy on there just yet, only performance intake (Weapon-R Dragon intake) and all new exhaust with hi-flow cat and muffler. Want headers and I'm intrigued when you say Supra intake swap... you talking about the MAF sensor or what? I haven't looked too far into all of my options. I've read up on performance cams and bigger valves and would like to do that, but it's expensive. All of it is. I'll definitely look into all of it and price around and do the work myself if I could only find a place to do the work... me and my buddy are toying (forgive the pun ) with ideas of how we can fab our own custom performance plenum. More to come on that later.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My head gasket just blew, 200k on the od. I'm gonna replace the engine with one of those raptor engines (chs)190hp. That's like a 40 hp bump.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 AM

Go for it... but while you're at it, if the price is right, why not go look at the used engines at Suprastore.com They're priced fairly well and come with an automatic transmission or for a few hundred more, you could choose the 6 speed option. What I'm saying, is if you're already prepared to buy an engine, this site has the full swap kit for more pony's than a beefed up 3VZE can offer, for maybe a little more. I've thought about it myself. Their price for a 7MGTE is $1800, whereas the 2JZGTE is about $3200 including shipping. ECU, wiring harness, fuel rail, intake and exhaust manifolds, injectors... everything you need to do a complete swap. And Hey, They're all 3.0s, so it wouldn't be like you're cheating on your 3VZE, they're all in the family.

Last edited by jclofty47; 07-31-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM

(Real excitement and panic in my typing here, read it as such) Quick!!! Does anyone know if there's any kind of difference, even if it's only by a little bit, between a 2wd and 4x4 upper intake manifold??? I just read a thread, merely from Googling, and there was a guy that was selling an upper intake manifold. His brother had ruined his 4x4 muddin and had a 2wd backup, but he swapped the top half from the 4x4 and put it on his 2wd. The guy selling it thinks there must be some kind of difference in the 2... if that's the case, it's REVOLUTIONARY!!!!! I can't see any noticeable difference from the pics I've seen, but that doesn't mean there can't be any difference though, right?
My pickup is only 2wd, but that's fine for me, never been into mudding. I like having fun on the open road. The plenum air chamber could be bigger or something. What would that do for my hp/tq?

Last edited by jclofty47; 08-01-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Inu

Dont get excited. There the same intakes as long as it came off a 3vze
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM

OK, that's what I originally thought. that other guy must have swapped them because one was better/cleaner than the other, or maybe he had the 4x4 Plenum ported out and didn't wanna screw with it on 2wd. Gotta be it right there. His brother (the one selling) must not have paid attention in Yota school.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
plenty of mods to do with the 3.0. long tube headers, bigger throttle body, egr/pair delete, mild port n polish, bigger injectors, 7mge afm, bump the timing, etc etc etc.... search....
Old 08-01-2013, 06:47 PM

I know, I've been doing a lot of reading (and not so much doing as of yet). I'm a truck driver and I'm on the road for 2 weeks straight and then only get 2 days home which is usually spent with family. I don't even have my Yota at home at the moment, it's 150 miles away, and like I said, usually so busy and spending time with the family that I don't have time to go out and get it so that I can tinker with it for even a few hours out of a weekend. At least the battery is disconnected where it sits. Trust me, my first big mod that I've decided on is the 7MGE AFM swap... that's proven to be the easiest so far that I've read. Could take a while to find an AFM at a salvage yard in VA Beach, but if I have no luck, I'll check eBay. Also, autodirect.com has a remanufactured 7MGE AFM for $200 with 1 year warranty, compared to $680 new from Toyota (ouch)... If I get home early enough on Saturday, I'm driving out to South Boston with my woman to retrieve the prodigal truck... it'd be nice if it came home on it's own though, lol. If there's any time after that, I'll start unbolting the upper intake and in turn, clean it thoroughly, as I'm sure it's never been done... Wheezy is a 93, and I've owned her for 8 years now and I've never even thought to clean it until I started reading these threads... shame on me... then again, I'm still kinda new to the DIY stuff. Only did the performance intake and shocks by myself, transmission flush and filter, 3in drop blocks, and spark plugs/wires/distributor cap and rotor with help from my wrenching buddy. He's a Nissan gearhead, but he's cool, only needs a pack O smokes and a 2 liter of Dew.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM

good luck
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Thanks much.
Hey Inu- my engine isn't having a problem, I'm just looking to get a little more pow wherever I can, lol. In fact it runs well except for one little hiccup. It's not idle, it's not misfiring, it's something with the transmission. Here's the example I give everyone. The engine is warmed up and you've been driving around for about a half hour or so. You make a stop to get gas or a bite to eat. Then when you get back in, fire it up and go to get on the gas. The engine revs up but the gears are barely catching, you're barely moving, then all of a sudden it catches and you get bucked. This is an auto"magic" and Yes, it's fully in gear/drive when it does this... maybe it's just time for a new transmission?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 PM

maybe at least a fluid and filter change. could be a vacuum leak
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM

It started before I did the fluid and filter change the first time. Even bought extra fluid so I could empty, flush, empty and refill.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Inu

Sounds like somthings sticking in the trans. When you restart do you just flip the key shift and go, or do you let put it in gear wait a sec? Is reverse the same?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Reverse is fine. But I put it in gear, then let the idle pull it forward before I step on the gas.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Inu

Does it feel like it shifts right to second? Will it keep doing it if you shift to park ?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 PM

After it's started back up again, it has done it from stop light to stop light. If I'm cruising at highway speed and slow down, no problem. But as soon as I come back into town and go light to light, there it goes again. It's only from a dead stop after it's been restarted. And Yeah, it does feel like it goes straight to second. If I start off in 1st (usually when I'm feeling froggy and wanna feel those rear wheels launch me like a rocket) it's fine.

Quick Reply: 3.0 intake manifold port/polish?