86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE valve cover removal is a Pain!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE valve cover removal is a Pain!

I did my front rotors and pads today and repacked the wheel bearings. I had a friend help me and after we decided to take off the valve cover to check my timing chain guides. Well, we got all the hoses and bolts off, but that thing wouldn't budge. After doing some reading tonight after giving up on it, I realized we should've taken the grommets out (which we didn't) Other than taking the rubber grommets out and tapping on it with a rubber mallet, does anyone have any suggestions? It's a 90 and I doubt it's ever been off before. I'm going to take a crack at it tomorrow after taking the rubber grommets off and using a mallet all the way around I guess.

I could've sworn on my old 86 the valve cover popped right off, but that was years ago.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With a new gasket, mine pops right off. Your grommets have turned solid- one option is to burn them out- seriously. Spray some brake cleaner on them and light them up for ~20 sec, and they'll soften up a bit. Once those are off, there should be nothing left holding the valve cover on.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM

I should buy some new grommets then? I just opted for the fel-pro gasket with no grommets for $9, when I could've bought the one with grommets and the half-moon gaskets for $16.... Oh well, live and learn. Do you think the fel-pro gasket will be ok? It looks fine, just a bunch of rubber.

Last edited by pruney81; 03-16-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My old grommets were mashed into the threads and hard, but they screwed out. Just unscrew them like a nut. I thought they were supposed to be that way until I got new ones.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, you should buy a valve cover kit - grommets, valve cover gasket, half moons, and the nuts on top of the grommets.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM

Cool, I'll just return the gasket tomorrow and get the kit then. My buddy who is a mechanic was sticking a screwdriver in there and trying to pry it open, and I was all yeah I think we just leave it.....We never thought to take the grommets out, it was a long day dealing with rotors and having to buy a new caliper as well. Just let me say that the cone washers come out easy when you just give the hub a solid tap with a mallet, way better than the brass punch and hitting the bolt method.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by flyingbrass
My old grommets were mashed into the threads and hard, but they screwed out. Just unscrew them like a nut. I thought they were supposed to be that way until I got new ones.

2x on that

I just did mine, same thing. I bought a gasket set from NAPA that had the grommets, half moons, valve gasket and plenum gaskets.

Last edited by Western Canuk; 03-16-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
PRUNEY...

x whatever on the grommets....mine basically unscrewed off, but even after that it was an SOB to get off....BLACK FIPG is very good and did a great job holding it down.

yes, get the new grommets / gasket and half-moons.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 AM

thanks 92, I'm going to take a ride over to Advance here in a minute. Did you just tap around it with a rubber mallet to get it budge? I ask this because I don't to try to wedge anything else in there after yesterday, I admit I chipped my head a little bit.

Last edited by pruney81; 03-17-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by pruney81
thanks 92, I'm going to take a ride over to Advance here in a minute. Did you just tap around it with a rubber mallet to get it budge? I ask this because I don't to try to wedge anything else in there after yesterday, I admit I chipped my head a little bit.
I did pry a little........OOOOPS
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM

Alright, well I don't feel as bad now...ha
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 AM

here's what I really did after I pryed....... I used a plastic spackle knife to "cut" into it....once I felt I had enough bite, I was able to peel (yes, pretty much peel) it off.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:27 AM

I think on mine I had to turn the garment because it was hard as a rock . Just try to loosening it like a nut .Worked for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Well, I wasn't able to get to the valve cover today because, after taking my truck in to get an alignment after doing the front pads and rotors yesterday, I came to find out that my passenger side caliper is sticking which is why it was pulling to the right. Also, my rear passenger tire is stuck too. I already bought a new caliper for the front but what do you guys think could be wrong in the rear? I'm hoping it might just need new hardware, I'm gonna tear into the rear but I'm not sure what to look for.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bipolarandproud
I think on mine I had to turn the garment because it was hard as a rock . Just try to loosening it like a nut .Worked for me.
+1 here
and get the whole kit, with half moons and all.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I should buy some new grommets then? I just opted for the fel-pro gasket with no grommets for $9, when I could've bought the one with grommets and the half-moon gaskets for $16.... Oh well, live and learn. Do you think the fel-pro gasket will be ok? It looks fine, just a bunch of rubber.
FelPro is fine, never had FelPro fail on me. Buy all new rubber bits and might as well check the hoses in the engine bay as they might be toast as well- if they feel soft when you squeeze them, they need to be replaced.

Yeah, a rubber mallet would work, but if those gromits are solid, then you might not get too far as they may be holding the valve cover to the valve cover studs.

With that chipped head, you will have only chipped the surface that mates to the valve cover- this is not a critical surface, but it may leak oil. You might get away with using a bit of JB-weld if the chip is big enough to cause an oil leak. Otherwise, you could put a dab of RTV gasket maker on the chip. Remember to use RTV on the half-moons otherwise they will leak.

Last edited by Matt16; 03-17-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Remember to use RTV on the half-moons otherwise they will leak.
Yeah don't try to get away with just the valve gasket. When I pulled mine oil was leaking badly out the rear half moon and it wasn't noticeable because it was running down the back of the engine. There was oil in the cap nuts as well because the grommets had hardened.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM

half moon huh

I have herd them called cookies ,biskets and donuts
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM

It's actually just a tiny chip on the very edge of it. It doesn't appear to be leaking yet. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to my truck so it bugs me. The valve cover gasket and grommets etc. have been put on hold. I had to replace my passenger side brake caliper today and adjust the rear shoes in because the tire was seized, Tomorrow I need to go get a wheel cylinder and find a friend to help me bleed it cuz right now my pedal is mush. Then, I'll get to the valve cover. After that I hope to be done for a while as in the past few weeks I've replaced clutch and brake master, front pads, rotors and both calipers and now the rear brakes are giving me issues, almost done though.

Tomorrow I'll snap some pics of the chip in the head just so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by pruney81; 03-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 PM

The grommets are used in junction with the washers to put pressure and hold the valve cover down. With dried up grommets, you may overtorque the valve cover down. I always replace all at once, just a thought

Quick Reply: 22RE valve cover removal is a Pain!