Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re coolant "pipe" question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you have the intake manifold off.....if you are trying to do this from the bottom of the engine, you will have to remove the starter to get to the fuel filter/bracket. Its the bracket to the fuel filter that is in your way.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by soulisshaking
I have just done the exact same thing as you. I have a 1994 22RE 2wd Std. and I did the head gasket job. When I finished and filled up, I was leaking fluid from this same pipe.

To answer you question, you do not have to yank the head again! You just need to move the fuel filter bracket. First take off the fuel filter, you should be able to leave the hoses attached, but I am not sure. Then once the fuel filter is off the bracket, remove the fuel filter bracket.

My pipe is lined up and in the right spot, but I forget the washer or o-ring and I am leaking. I am hoping I do not have to remove the intake manifold and that I can just wiggle the pipe down, slip on the o-ring and then reinstall the two bolts. I can not believe I did my first head gasket and I got everything right except.......this!
So, after putting this project off for some time, i took another crack at it over the weekend. All I did was remove the fuel filter bracket and then I was able to get the pipe in and line it up. This thing started on the first try and purrs like a kitten, with no leaks I might add.

If you forgot the rubber o ring you do not need to remove anything. I have bannana hands and can still get the two bolts under the coolant pipe (using a ratcheting wrench) and remove it to put a new o-ring on, so you should be able to get to it as well.

I have also torn down this thing to the bare block like 10 times now.. so i got really fast at it

I am really glad this is all done now and I look forward to driving the wheels off this thing.

Also, quick shout out to "92 toy". His comprehensive write up was very helpful and the pictures he posted made great quick references. Thanks buddy!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 PM

I just finished mine today. Running great, and no leaks after 50 miles.

Thanks to PismoJoe for the Toyota P/N of the o-ring that was missing. My o-ring that came off the original pipe was flat hard and stuck on, I did not even realize it was o-ring.

I was able to get it swapped out with little trouble. I had to loosen the bolt holding the pipe to the back of the head. I had to remove the oil filter and unplug 4 plugs. But I was able to get my hand down there without removing the intake manifold or EFI.

Big thanks to TerribleIbs for starting this topic!!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:27 AM

so this is an old thread but...

I am curious about another part of the coolant/injections system similar to the one discussed here. There is a pipe that comes off of the back of the timing cover on a 22re with two hoses that attach to it. The larger diameter hose is a 180 that goes to the coolant temp sensor (I think) the other hose goes to the IAC mounted to the throttle body. The pipe bolts with 2 bolts that go through the front side of the timing cover and thread into the pipe. The toyota part no is 16268-35030. (Somebody has all this "piping" in stainless so someday...) The gasket for the pipe attaching to the back of the timing cover is part of the timing cover gasket so and I guess if you read this far you realize I am replacing this for reasons not relevant to this post. So now the question. In addition to the gasket is there an o-ring? When I took mine off I could not tell if it was an o-ring or RTV that I used when I did the timing chain. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
i think that i attached that pipe with rtv on the paper gasket?

be careful of rust on that pipe, the original unit that i had was missing most of the hose end on the big pipe, i had to cut a slit in the end of the big hose, push it on the big pipe, enough to wrap the slit around the small pipe, then put hose clamps on each side of the small pipe... there was barely enough metal left on the big pipe, to keep it from leaking.

Last edited by osv; 12-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrcocoa
(Somebody has all this "piping" in stainless so someday...
While 22REPerformance sells the "stainless steel" pipes, those are actually OEM (or the updated part number version) from Toyota.

Also, the web page has a wealth of info on the gaskets etc necessary

http://22reperformance.com/parts/ins...ion-parts.html
Old 12-06-2016, 04:12 AM

Thanks. I actually talked to 22re Performance and they tell me that it is just a gasket on that connection so I am going to gasket it and put a little RTV on there as well. As for the rust, I am waiting for the pipe to arrive from Toyota Parts Deal. http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/ They seem to have as many parts as anyone and the prices are generally competitive if not better than most sites I have found and consistently better than my local dealer. I will say though that most if not all the Toyota parts counter guys at two Dealerships I have used to source parts for this truck go out of their way to help me and have done things like sent me diagrams and researched parts so that is part of why I have had 3 Toyotas in 27 years. Thanks all.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GOOD Toyota Parts guys are amazing.

I had one (he left the dealership) that would know "cross reference parts"
These are parts that are close enough facsimiles to the part in the computer, but were NOT listed in the computer as a cross reference.

For example, I wanted to put a "Oh Crap" handle above the DRIVERS door (like the one over the passenger door) and hadn't found any in the junk yard.
The parts guy was like - oh - use the one from a XX Celica.
I get the part, its a totally different number, it wont cross ref to the Truck part, It was 1/10 of the cost, and I could not tell the difference.