Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r coolant in exhaust (but not from 4 exhaust ports)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r coolant in exhaust (but not from 4 exhaust ports)

After my 22r warms up just a bit, I have coolant coming out the exhaust (white exhaust and/or a good amount of dripping). The spark plugs look fine (not wet or white). Took the exhaust manifold off and found wetness in the two small holes below the #2 and #3 exhaust ports (pictured below). A pressurized cooling system tester was not able to force coolant to these holes (while the engine was cool). The engine runs very well (idles well, good compression in all 4) and doesn't overheats. At one point, I thought that the exhaust bypass gasket on the back of the head might be causing the problem, but that didn't pan out. What's causing the leak? Head? Head gasket?

Old 05-06-2007, 03:59 PM

is there a chance its not coolant coming out your exhuast pipe and jus condensation. some cars even have a constant drip as they drive from their pipe. Aren't those 2 holes just bolt holes?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you having to add coolant? if not its just moisture in the exaust
Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM

No, they aren't bolt holes. Those are the three holes in between the arrows.

I definitely have the sweet smell of coolant out the tailpipe (hey, maybe that would kill mosquitoes ). Even my wife complains about it. I haven't been driving it very far in this condition for fear of ruining the engine. I had been waiting for warmer weather before pulling the head, but I was dreaming that there would be another solution.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dug out the FSM but that didnt tell me what I recall off the top of my head....

First - some (but not all) of the exaust studs penetrate the water jacket. Im not sure if this is tru for the 22RE head but I have a vaugeu recollection of this being the case..

Second - off the cuff - I think that those two small holes that the arrows point to - are for the EGR "sample" ports. The EGR pulls the exhaust from there, routes it through the head, around the back (there's a cast iron plate back there" and then over to the passenger side of the head (at the rear) where it goes up throught the EGR to the valve that controls the flow into the intake.

It may be that since the EGR doens open all the time, that the coolant "condenses" there. Or that the HG leaks there. Since a pressure test doesnt force the coolant there I'd suspect that it jsut collects there.

Ya know I never did run a compression test when the HG went on mine... now Im curious as to what the numbers would have read?

Mine burned through the #1 "fire ring" on the HG.
250K. I guess thats good enough.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:10 AM

This 22r was bought to replace the engine in an 85 carbed 4x4 that I bought. The old engine had a completely fried #2 exhaust valve. I was told that the replacement engine was OK, although I don't know the mileage.

Fortunately I have no EGR worries since it is not hooked up (so I don't have any coolant making it's way to the intake side).

I don't think any of the exhaust studs go into the water jacket (although I could be wrong). The three studs holes in between the holes I marked do go into the passageway that goes back to the EGR side. As near as I can tell, this passageway appears to have nothing to do with the head gasket (although I can't tell for sure with the head still on the block). It is entirely possible that it could still be the exhaust bypass gasket on the back of the engine (unless the head is cracked). I tried to install the damn gasket with the engine still in the truck with the 1/2" of space between the engine and the firewall (what a PITA!!!). I may not have gotten a good seal on the thing. I'll probably pull the engine back out and try again once my motivation returns.