86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1JZ turbo Supra motor and tranny in a 86 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
kinda not the same vehicle, but a really sweet swap nonetheless... looks like a lexus/2JZ with Nos swap...
Oooooooooh....hahahahahhahahahah!

That is fricken awesome. I saw this post while I was trying to eat pineapple and darn near shot it all over my screen and keyboard.

Now that is entertainment you can't buy!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 94toyotapickup
i think a 1jz is a better engine STOCK, and the 2jz is to expensive so id say the winner would be a 1jz out the 3 supra engines.
I disagree with you. The price difference between a 1JZ and a 2JZ is a few hundred at most. With that, you're getting 20% more displacement, which will help your low-end torque out huge. Take it from me, a guy who's had both 1JZ-GTE, and 2JZ-GTE motors in his car, the 2JZ is hands down, a much better option, ESPECIALLY in something heavy like a truck, or Supra.

The 1JZ-GTE transmission (R154, same as a 7M-GTE) can be mated with the truck's transfer case, provided you swap out the rear housing and tail-shaft, in effect making an R154F.

FWIW, the 1JZ-GTE stock is actually around 300hp, not 280hp. The specifics of why they were underrated will not be gotten into here, but suffice to say, several people have dyno'd stock 1JZ motors (myself included), and found they put out about 300bhp.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
instead of going that hard core think about everything else here man ok ok the motor and car is cheap woo whoo ok but now can your truck take the power i say god no think about it your going to take it easy for a wile then your going to get stupid i know you cause i would do the same then your going to drop your trany or blow up your diff(s) im thinking about going the same route with just a short cut ya dig

7mge 88 soup take the 22re lower mounts and the 7mte upper mounts and the bell housing from the soup and guess what your almost done then wire run exhaust and two ele pusher fans and your readdy to drive and the good thing is it only puts out about 150-200 hp not going to hurt the drivetrain i did alot of homework on this swap and found many many many people doing it with write ups and how tos

plus with twin turbos and a heavy truck can you say turbo lag then pop?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
I disagree with you. The price difference between a 1JZ and a 2JZ is a few hundred at most. With that, you're getting 20% more displacement, which will help your low-end torque out huge. Take it from me, a guy who's had both 1JZ-GTE, and 2JZ-GTE motors in his car, the 2JZ is hands down, a much better option, ESPECIALLY in something heavy like a truck, or Supra.

The 1JZ-GTE transmission (R154, same as a 7M-GTE) can be mated with the truck's transfer case, provided you swap out the rear housing and tail-shaft, in effect making an R154F.

FWIW, the 1JZ-GTE stock is actually around 300hp, not 280hp. The specifics of why they were underrated will not be gotten into here, but suffice to say, several people have dyno'd stock 1JZ motors (myself included), and found they put out about 300bhp.
yeah, they were underrated because of primarily insurance reasons. the same thing happened with the mister 2's.

I disagree somewhat though with which engine is the better option. ANY ENGINE installed with more horsepower is more prone to breaking things, and the more horsepower there is, the more likely things are to break, particularly when mated to the stock driveline. Yeah, cautious drivers won't dump the clutch at 4000 rpm for a hard launch, but....

We are talking a small truck here, not a race / rocket.

There are more cost effective ways to make the truck more capable off road than just throwing a high hp engine in... more effective gear ratios, dual transfer cases ... and maybe even different axles ... comes to mind.
... old army jeeps are more capable off road than many heavily modified newer trucks... and even some mildly modified toyota's are too.
There is some truth to the axiom: slow and steady.

And turbo's aren't always the answer to needing more power. Off road, controlled torque planted on the ground climbs obstacles, not sudden onslaughts of torque and rpm. With a turbo's motor, if you can't keep the turbo in boost when you need it, you're either stuck or spinning tires.
Yeah the dual/staged turbo setups broaden the powerband and make usable power for most instances, but the first time the throttle is let up on, due to wheel spin for instance, the turbo's dump and you have lag until they spool back up. It might be fine for a vehicle racing the one in the other lane on the highway but it is not something you want to have happen when you're trying to finesse your way over some trail somewhere.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
plus with twin turbos and a heavy truck can you say turbo lag then pop?
the point of the twin turbos was one sized for better low end response and another sized for top end, thus the typical 'pop' isn't as noticeable.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian

There are more cost effective ways to make the truck more capable off road than just throwing a high hp engine in... more effective gear ratios, dual transfer cases ... and maybe even different axles ... comes to mind.
... old army jeeps are more capable off road than many heavily modified newer trucks... and even some mildly modified toyota's are too.

And turbo's aren't always the answer to needing more power. Off road, controlled torque planted on the ground climbs obstacles, not sudden onslaughts of torque and rpm.
Ab,

Some of the guys might want to build a street rocket out of their 4WD. Just 4 fun, ehh?? Isn't that why you go wheelin', for fun??

I am now the owner of a 22RTE with stock CT20. Lots of Turbo Lag. But I tell you what I love it as a daily driver over my pickup with 5 speed 22RE. And the Runner is an Auto! I dislike autos!

I am sure I am telling you nothing you don't already know. But then I wouldn't be able to waste my time on this forum as much if I didn't participate a bit, ehhh?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by khoopes
Ab,

Some of the guys might want to build a street rocket out of their 4WD. Just 4 fun, ehh?? Isn't that why you go wheelin', for fun??
Yeah, true that.
I am now the owner of a 22RTE with stock CT20. Lots of Turbo Lag. But I tell you what I love it as a daily driver over my pickup with 5 speed 22RE. And the Runner is an Auto! I dislike autos!
CT26 man... go... mantra... CT26 supra.... (not celica/mr2)....

automatics have the nice side effect of not letting the engine rpm's drop too low causing the turbo to fall out of it's boost curve.

Side-note: I had an 84 chrysler laser 2.2 turbo auto that was almost a second quicker from 0-60 than my bud's 87 daytona turbo z. I was auto, he was 5-spd. He could top-end me but he didn't start gaining on me until about 90.
I am sure I am telling you nothing you don't already know. But then I wouldn't be able to waste my time on this forum as much if I didn't participate a bit, ehhh?
So, it's all about the post count, eh?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM

the point of the twin turbos was one sized for better low end response and another sized for top end, thus the typical 'pop' isn't as noticeable.
Actually, both motors had two turbochargers that were identical in size.

The 1JZ ran them in full parallel. Both turbos spooling the same time, each running off of 3 cylinders. They were undersized for the motor, combined with a set of cams that were heavily biased to lower rpm torque, the 1JZ actually has a very flat torque curve, with little to no turbo lag.

The 2JZ on the other hand ran them sequentially. The exhaust was fed all through one turbo below around 4K, where the second would come online and both would run up higher. You are correct though, the 2JZ had a flat spot on its torque curve at transition.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, they were underrated because of primarily insurance reasons. the same thing happened with the mister 2's.

I disagree somewhat though with which engine is the better option. ANY ENGINE installed with more horsepower is more prone to breaking things, and the more horsepower there is, the more likely things are to break, particularly when mated to the stock driveline. Yeah, cautious drivers won't dump the clutch at 4000 rpm for a hard launch, but....

And turbo's aren't always the answer to needing more power. Off road, controlled torque planted on the ground climbs obstacles, not sudden onslaughts of torque and rpm. With a turbo's motor, if you can't keep the turbo in boost when you need it, you're either stuck or spinning tires.
Yeah the dual/staged turbo setups broaden the powerband and make usable power for most instances, but the first time the throttle is let up on, due to wheel spin for instance, the turbo's dump and you have lag until they spool back up. It might be fine for a vehicle racing the one in the other lane on the highway but it is not something you want to have happen when you're trying to finesse your way over some trail somewhere.
i have to agree with abe here. Ive never been offroading (shoot me now) but i can imagine that the shifts in power from a turbo would be EXTREMELY dangerous on a trail, or just useless. If you really do want power, you could supercharge, or just stick with the stock engine and really learn how to 4wheel without the power to really make urself that much better of an offroader.

If you are building a drag racer like Corey, go with that huge, monster, turbo'd engine and put a cop license plate holder on the back so you don't get pulled over
Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
funny... the xJZ started in 1990, didn't it?

edit- maybe not so hard to believe, a 1990 engine in an 86.
Depends on the market we are talking about here.

In the USA, Toyota used the 7MGTE from 86 1/2 through 4/93 (Last built as a 92) They introduced the 2JZGTE in 5/93, as a 1993 supra, and continued production through 98, when the Supra was haxored.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one thing should be noted in the argument...about the HP numbers between the motors..."annoyingrob" pointed out some hard evidence about him puttin some motors on the dyno...yes..that will give you BHP..not HP...the drivetrain has what we call parasitic loss...a motor making 1000BHP..may only make 800hp or so at the wheels...you said the 1JZ-GTE puts out about 300BHP...well they are saying it has somewhere between 200-280 hp AT THE WHEELS..thats a whole lot different than at the flywheel...so get your stuff straight bud!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Stock 1JZ I dyno'd 230whp on a mustang dyno, with a very flat torque curve

1JZ with cams, ECU and dual downpipes, I dyno'd 315whp on a dynojet, same boost (10psi) but it was a bit of a dog under 3k.

Last edited by annoyingrob; 04-03-2009 at 05:40 PM.