Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 Toyota Pickup Clutch Pedal Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I bled like instructed above, but still nothing. I'm just going to finish pulling out the pedal bracket. I'll you guys know what happens.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 AM

So, here's something new, I went to go remove the slave cylinder to inspect it, gave it a few pumps, put a C clamp on it, had my assist push the pedal so I could look for leaks (wound up being nothing) went to put the CSC back on, felt the pedal and suddenly BAM! the thing was waaaaaaay firmer after a couple of pumps. WTF?!?! What happened?!?!?! I still have to make some adjustments (when I start the truck in first with no brakes it still rolls forwards a bit) and get the shifter seat bushing in. Next month I'll work on finding a shop to weld up my pedal bracket.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where are you at in this great country, if in CO ill do it for free, welding it that is
Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Sorry for the long reply. Thanks Blake, I'm actually west of Denver, but a buddy of mine has a MIG and were going to tear the pedal bracket out over the weekend. I'll snap a few pics.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Quick question (I'm getting ready to remove the old bracket), do I remove the U-Joint on the steering column to get the bracket out, or do I remove the pedal (bolt tough to get to). If the U-Joint, how do I remove it?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM

So we finally pulled out the bracket, welded the bajeeziz out of it and put it back in. This was kind of fun because he let my try his little 90 amp MIG welder (the last time I used a welder was a stick welder in high school shop class) and did a very ugly job. I'll post some pics as soon as I get back in town.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 PM

we have a 88 toyota 4x4 3vze & had the same problem we thought it was transmission

Originally Posted by josiahkerley
Hello guys and gals, I'm new to Yotatech, but I've seen a lot of articles in the past and this site seems to be the best out there for a guy like me.

I have a 1991 Toyota Pick SR5 3ZVE that has been giving me some trouble. A few days ago I started having issues shifting into 1st/Rev, so I went to go inspect under the hood. The clutch master cylinder had fairly dark DOT3 in it, so I decided to flush the old crud out. I hooked up a venturi vacuum brake bleeder to the bleed valve on the slave cylinder, opened the valve, and got all of the old stuff out. Next I took the line off of the master, blew it out, filled the reservoir, and primed up the master cylinder. I then reattached the hose and opened the bleeder on the slave and vacuumed fluid through until there were no more bubbles (all the while keeping the reservoir at level). Next, uh-oh! Clutch pedal only comes up half way and I can't even shift. I then talked to a guy down at Advance Auto Parts and he said it sounds like the slave cylinder went bad. So I went ahead and bought a new slave, installed it, bled the system, but still nothing! I bled it again using the old Buddy Method (as prescribed in my manual) but still no dice. Clutch pedal is only going about half way and I'm feeling little resistance. I can see the slave cylinder move when the pedal is pressed, and when I clamp off the slave, the pedal feels mushy. Any ideas? Thank you much.
we had same problem lately when our slave cylinder went out it bounded up the gear shift and the bolt in side gear shifter had broke we had to extract bolt with extractor tool and get the broken part out with a magnet & used magnet to get shavings out from drilling it out put new bolt in it and it was good to go once we bleed system again so try taking gear shifter off in neutral only and look down inside there at hole before box should be a bolt if dont see one u might want to try same thing we did
Old 01-17-2015, 06:46 AM

Well, I peeked under the hood and found this little beauty. I'm assuming the next step would be to replace it? Also, when my helper pumped on the pedal, it didn't seem to bulge.
SAME HERE ahha lets fix this!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:49 PM

So we finally pulled out the bracket, welded the bajeeziz out of it and put it back in. This was kind of fun because he let my try his little 90 amp MIG welder (the last time I used a welder was a stick welder in high school shop class) and did a very ugly job. I'll post some pics as soon as I get back in town.
So, here it is, July 2017, and I'm having practically the same issue with my 92 4x4 22re pickup...

After reading this thread, I was really hoping to see the photos of your fixes.

Oh well, hopefully you made it back to town.