84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Whine coming from steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Whine coming from steering pump

1985 4runner 22re. My middle power steering pump hose was cracked at the rubber portion so I discarded and bought a Duralast shorter hose from Autozone considering Toyota doesn't sell the original hoses anymore. There isn't much of a difference between the 2 hoses...the Toyota one was longer and had a weird metal bend in it that the Duralast does not have.

Not sure if that is contributing to my issue but ever since draining the fluid, replacing the hose, and filling back up with Dextron III ATF (I can't find Dextron II), there is a noticeable whine coming from the pump. I checked the fluid level and that looks good....no bubbles only a steady flow in the reservoir.

I read on this site that some folks have had success mixing (or completely using) hydraulic fluid to cure PS pump whine. Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
JARED
Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
sounds like you may have some air still in the line and it is cavitating
Old 02-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Thanks. I ended up taking out the reservoir, cleaning it out thoroughly, and refilling with Dextron III Valvoline High Mileage. Just like before, I jacked up the front of the 4runner and turned the steering wheel back and forth while filling it. There were no bubbles that I could see. The whine is still there (not while jacked up but put back on the ground) but it doesn't seem as loud. So, I will drive it around a bit and report back as progress is made.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
With the wheels off of the ground it can take quite a few times to get the air out. I have not heard of adding hydraulic fluid to stop whining. I have used a tablespoon or two of brake fluid for softening up seals and stopping minor leaks.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. Following your advice and other posts I took out the reservoir and thoroughly cleaned it and the inside screen. I lifted the front end and refilled with Dexron III Valvoline all while moving the tires back and forth. Like last time, I didn't notice any bubbles but unlike last time, this combination of actions seemed to do the trick. The sound is dramatically decreased and the steering seems to be much easier.

Thanks,
JARED
Old 03-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great to hear you got it fixed.