84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Where is this wire supposed to go to

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where is this wire supposed to go to

Hi, everyone I have a 1985 Toyota Pickup 22r 4WD. The car was my dad's and it's been sitting for over ten years. I just put in a rebuilt engine and new clutch cleaned everything I could and she fired right up. Took it out to drive and my turn signals don't work. Hazards work fine, horn works but plunger is worn, battery is charging fine, no blown fuses. So I took out my manual and found looked at the two wires that give power to the left and right bulbs after the turn signal switch, they are the green/black and green/yellow. I looked by the kick panel fuse box and i found these two wires that are green/black and green/yellow. I need help finding out where they go. I looked under my dash and i couldn't find it.

kick panel fuse box
Old 01-21-2020, 05:06 PM

I just had mine completely apart sorting out my turn signals. My problem turned out to be the actual switch in the steering column being extremely dirty and not making good contacts. The green relay on your fuse panel should be the turn signal relay. If I remember correctly they go from the switch in the steering column to the relay in the fuse panel then to the plug under the passenger side seat and to the rear lights and splitting off under the dash to the front. I would assume your problem lies somewhere between the switch in the steering column and the relay in the fuse panel. Wish this would of been 2 days ago I just put my dash back in the truck and could have gotten pics for you. Under the newbie tech section I have a thread on my turn signals maybe some of the posts there could help you some. Seems it would be from your switch to the relay I think if you have hazards that’s the only difference in the 2 circuits because one has power all the time and one only with the ignition
The following users liked this post:
Eber Chacon (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:18 PM

I have found what the problem was. For anyone looking, the two wires shown are actually for the radio, specifically the left front speaker + and left front speaker -. Makes sense in my case since the truck was robbed long long ago and the radio and speakers were stolen. As for my turn signal issue I figured it out. My turn signal switch is dead. Followed the Factory Service Manual and followed the steps to test the turn signal switch. No continuity between any 2-7 whether left, right, or neutral. Also nothing on 9-3. As a further test i connected it back and whacked the switch and my right turn signal came alive, sadly my left one would not come alive. To add insult to injury I ended up breaking my hazard switch while whacking
Oh well time for a good working switch.
If anyone is look here is the FSM
https://web.archive.org/web/20101127...985FSM_OCR.pdf
old87yota (01-22-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you guys have to remove the steering wheel to remove the turn signal light switch?
Eber Chacon (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 08:19 AM

Yeah the steering wheel has to come off. From there the switch comes off with three screws. It sucks cause the entire switch is about 100 bucks on ebay