84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

timing chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
timing chain tensioner

Hi Guys I am taking a bit of a poll. I understand these little 22re motors are a little noisy in the valve train . But I am getting a noise from what I think is the timing chain. I spoke to engbldr and he told me to pull the valve cover and look down the at the tensioner and see if the oil pump bolt is making contact with the tensioner . My question is how many of you have had this happen and have you been lucky with just putting a shorter bolt or a washer under the head and curing the noise . basically im hoping I can pull the balancer and shim the bolt and wont have to get the timing cover off to actually replace the tensioner as Im afraid that it will leak after Im done . lol thanks in advance you guys are friggin awesome !!!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

I see theres been over a hundred views and no replys I guess im the only one thats though of doing this . lol
I actually looked down the timing chain and there is no bolt sticking thru there . I looked at the cam it looks fine as well and I looked at the valve springs and they look good too so I guess I just need to spend the money and try the new adjuster screws . Ill give an update after I get the screws tomorrow .
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 AM

If anyone is interested I went ahead and put all new valve adjuster screws in my my motor and it did quiet it down quit a bit . I guess the noise thats left is just the nature of the beast .Sounds like a sewing machine still .lol. the exhaust valves adjusters were in pretty bad shape .
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you describe your noise a little more in depth? I know it's been a few months. I think I've got a similar thing going on. I get a ticking from idle to about 1500rpms. I've adjusted the valve lash 3 times this year to try and get rid of this and it won't go away. I'm starting to think it's in the timing chain. Maybe the tensioner is not doing it's job, or something else. Sometimes I think it's temperature dependent (which would lead me to think valve lash), but other times, it's definitely not.

So, replacing the adjuster screws helped? Interesting.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Hey Robby These motors are known for their ticking. Did you adjust the valves when the motor was hot? This is the correct way. A little Lucas Oil can quiet things sometimes. A timing sound has more of a quality to it that something isn't right, not just a little ticking. Hope that makes sense. Use a piece of pipe with one end on your ear and move it around to different parts of the engine. Take all belts off first if you want to put it up to the timing chain cover for a listen. If no one else upgraded your timing system an '85 should have a single row chain and plastic guides. These stretch quicker than a dual chain and then eat the plastic and can then even eat the sides of the timing chain cover. It is wise to not let a single row go over 100k. The sets are not that expensive and you can change everything out without removing the head. At least pull your valve cover and have a look at the guides.

Last edited by leafsprung; 10-09-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Robby1870
Can you describe your noise a little more in depth? I know it's been a few months. I think I've got a similar thing going on. I get a ticking from idle to about 1500rpms. I've adjusted the valve lash 3 times this year to try and get rid of this and it won't go away. I'm starting to think it's in the timing chain. Maybe the tensioner is not doing it's job, or something else. Sometimes I think it's temperature dependent (which would lead me to think valve lash), but other times, it's definitely not.

So, replacing the adjuster screws helped? Interesting.
Sorry for the slow response I have been trying to get my Duramax dialed in and havent been in here to much the last month or so . So the noise I was getting was a ticking noise with a slight rub type of noise ( i thought the chain was rubbing something ) . I pulled the valve cover and peeked inside the timing chain area for protruding bolts and made sure the tensioner was moving like it should and all was good in there . Then I changed the adj screws after I replaced the adj screws It got better but didnt go completely away so I told myself the motors good it was built by one of the best and to stop worrying about it and that it must be the nature of the beast considering the cam and stuff . So I changed the oil and kept driving it . After about 2k mor miles what do you know the dam thing is quiet as can be now . I think the new screws must have broke in I guess you could say . They seem to wear a tiny flat spot on the end and I'm assuming once they do they get quieter because it sounds great now . Good luck
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Cool.

Last edited by leafsprung; 10-10-2012 at 09:50 AM.