84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Old 4Runner new owner - long

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Old 4Runner new owner, repair needed - long

OK, got a lot of questions, I?m new to this forum and kinda new to my 4Runner. I am 17 years old and have a stock 1985 4Runner that has been sitting for a couple of years. It is overall in above average shape but needs a lot of TLC and a few mods. Well it needs a lot of mods but I am limited on cash, I have about $2400 to spend on it. It does run and drive OK but the steering is loose. I want to keep a stock look, it still has the original paint, I?ll try to attach a pic.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...ofMVC-815F.jpg

This is going to be a driver, not a crawler or big-time mudder, yet, maybe later when I have the $$$$$$ and another ride.
This is what I want to do but know there are a lot of aftermarket parts that might be better then stock but I am having a hard time deciding on which ones are most important and also trying to find good sources.
First is to replace the brakes with the vented cruiser brakes and new shocks and suspension bushings.
Second is to rebuild the front axle, only what has to be replaced, and steering parts, maybe overspring if it is not much more expensive and worth the extra.
Third is to tune up the engine that is in it, 250k but still runs, rebuild later I hope as well as transmission and transfer case, I thought about headers but the engine is well worn and I don?t know if it will help, would be cool though. I think it will need some exhaust work too, maybe a whole new system.
Fourth fix up the interior, new seats (really need advice on these) and carpet, I need new door panels (especially the back one and some inner door parts (like window crank and tailgate latch).
Fifth is to install a functional roll bar and a new rear bumper.

I really don?t think my $2400 budget will do it all but it will do a lot, my dad is going to spring for new tires and a system once I am done so that is a ?FREEBIE?.

OK so if you read all that junk here are my questions, at least some of them, and any advice from anybody would be great, I?ll be taking notes.
First where are the best sources for quality replacement parts, like for the tune up, and the brake upgrade, and stuff.
Second what aftermarket upgrades are really worth it and will I not ?waste? money on. Like rebuilding the front axle and front brakes and are the aftermarket replacement engine parts worth the extra $$$$, like which shocks are good and what kind of plugs and wires and distributor cap and on and on.
Should I just go to Advanced and buy my parts or should I shop aftermarket for stuff.

So what ever you can tell me or suggest would be really great. I want to research before I spend my $ and will be starting in the spring, I hope. I plan on really tearing it down, cleaning, repainting, and putting a roll on bed liner in it, under the new carpet, as well as under part of the truck.

Thanks Rob

Last edited by Richredneck989; 12-26-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome, you will find lots of info here. Im new to Toyota trucks also, and ive learned a lot from this site and others. What i would do is start with the mechanical stuff first, give your truck a complete tune up, change all fluids, check and replace all coolant and vacuum hoses as needed. you said your steering was loose, that would also be one of the first things to check and fix. As for the front axle, if its not leaking anywere then don`t worry about rebuilding it right now, it can wait. for shocks, if your keeping your truck stock for now then just get a good set of stock shocks. A good place to find tune up parts and other stuff is PartsTrain.com or AutoPartsWarehouse, ive ordered lots of parts from these places for my 85 Toyota 4x4. But in general just do an online search and you will find what your looking for. Or just ask questions here and someone will help you out
Old 12-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Welcome, I would say start here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/

and read up on some of the treads that apply to you.
also it is good to read up on the problems other people are having it will help when you come along a similar issue.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:01 PM

Welcome. Looks like you've got a diamond in the rough there. I think you'll probably get a few " I'll take her off your hands" responses. 85's are a good truck due to the solid front axle and EFI. Stay away from the FIPK air cleaners. Have fun with it.

Last edited by Babypig; 12-26-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:38 AM

I love the colors on that truck!

Some of the things that I have done on mine and would recommend for yours are to get it running well first. Check over engine, brakes, etc. Even if the engine is tired, a header will help some. If i had a truck like yours that would be the first mod i do to the engine. Also, if your truck is experiencing the 'saggy butt' look, a pair of extended shackles helps in the rear and they are pretty easy to install. Also, when getting tires you may want to look at slightly bigger sizes. Im currently running 31" BFGs and they dont rub and look and perform great. Good luck!