84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Leaking Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Fuel

Hey everyone im new here but my dad and myself are working on my 1985 toyota pickup. Its fuel injected 22re and we just recently replaced the fuel pump and gas tank since I wasnt getting fuel to the engine. In doing all that we pulled the bed to get to the tank easier and realized that we werent getting power to the pump. So just to make sure the truck would in fact run with the new pump we direct wired a battery to the pump and turned over the truck and it ran great for several mins and we shut it off.

We started trouble shooting why we weren't getting power from the truck to the fuel pump, we started smelling gas and noticed we had fuel coming out of the spot I have the light on. Is that a fuel regulator? And would that be a result of having the fuel pump constantly on from the direct wiring?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Is the light on the throttle body? I believe the Fuel pressure regulator is under that. Maybe a better picture. Pointing at it with a finger or pen or mark it with a piece of tape. There are a lot of parts right in that area. Good luck hope this helps
Old 01-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am thinking that is the Fuel Dampner. If I am correct, I think it is just a brass crush washer in between it and the Fuel Rail unless you have a brittle, dry rotted hose leaking. To remove the Fuel Rail, you will need to pull the Plenum and disconnect the Fuel Hose off of the Fuel Filter closet to the Firewall and repair or replace the Fuel Rail.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-01-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Fuel damper, fuel dampener or fuel pressure pulse dampener, what ever you want to call it.

There is a diaphragm in side, when they get old they get brittle, when they are old and they dry out they leak like a sieve. They were removed from the system in later models, if that was accounting or engineering would only be a guess. They are a little expensive so a popular mod is to replace the fuel line, banjo bolt and crush washer with the late model ones.

I chased the red herring of the crush washer to utter frustration when mine failed.