84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Just Got In My First Wreck...And Won *Pics Soon*

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just Got In My First Wreck...*Pics Soon*

Ladies and Gentleman,

Before you all ask, I'm okay, thanks, however, I owe all that to my Toyota.

SitRep: Traveling at about 25mph. A 2004 Nissan Frontier pulled out in front of me. Impact occurred on his front right fender. Passenger of the other vehicle missed a ride in an ambulance by about 24 inches. Bottom line, everyone is alright.

Damage:
His car: Front end is toast from the tires up. I'm not sure about the frame, but his hood is toast, grill is toast, coolant lines were broken, electrical was toast. Saw it at the body repair stuff today, totaled, $8K in damages.

My car: The sturdy frame and steel body work (and an aftermarket well build winch bumper) took the impact. Aligntment is messed up, door doesn't close right, front left fender is bent significantly, hood is also bent. I'm not actually sure of the extent of the damage as far as actual frame is concerned, but it doesn't look like anything significant, and that's the important part. Bumper is toast (pushed it back into the grill, and probably into the radiator (I'll check tomorrow). My tally, $4K in damages, and counting.

So, if anyone has any advice or anything for sale, or any good body shops in the central Willamette valley to recommend, let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by Johannes; 03-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:30 AM

with the damage you've described, the insurance company is going to total it. they won't give you much, at least not enough to fix it.

take the money, give them 10% so you can keep the truck, then drive it as is or strip it and transfer parts to another 4runner.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by EviL inside
with the damage you've described, the insurance company is going to total it. they won't give you much, at least not enough to fix it.

take the money, give them 10% so you can keep the truck, then drive it as is or strip it and transfer parts to another 4runner.
I hope that's not the case, but that was my thought. Frame looks alright now, I'm taking it to a shop in a minute.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently Oregon has their fair share of morons too. Ever been to the bay area of California? You're not missing anything... including the traffic.

I'm sorry to hear about your runner. A 1985 4Runner in a wreck is painful... but I have a feeling you'll be ok. Sounds liek you just need a new fron clip, eh?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 AM

OH man thats terrible! Good to hear you are ok but that is a real shame about the runner! .

Let me know what you decide to do with her, my buddy has a solid front axle for sale along with some other bits laying around.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Awesome, I'll let you know.

Honestly I have no idea at this point. The other driver's insurance company is really giving me the run around. If I get anything from it, it'll be probably half of what it'll take to repair it, so yeah, I'm kind of in the woods on what to do.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johannes
Awesome, I'll let you know.

Honestly I have no idea at this point. The other driver's insurance company is really giving me the run around. If I get anything from it, it'll be probably half of what it'll take to repair it, so yeah, I'm kind of in the woods on what to do.
Take it and get estimates then turn them into your insurance company and they should go after the other guy's insurance for the remebersment also if you got the rental car deal if you got they will have to pay for that as well
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 AM

i was traveling on a highway here is so cal and the traffic all stopped at one time, there were like 4 seperate wrecks but i rear ended a lady in a 05 corolla, we were doing myabe around 20-25 after slamming on my breaks. her WHOLE read end was gone, trunk, bumber, both panels, every peice of plastic, everything.. only her window survived. the only think i could think of is, oh God i wont be able to have the money to fix my truck.. i get out and look at it... the hood right where the latch is had a small dent. my licence plate was bent a lil and the bottom peice of flimsy metal was dent in (i can pull it out with my hands straight). it ran fine, and i was about a block away form my mechanic so i stopped by and ran a quick look with him and nothing was wrong internally.. gotta love steel bumpers ad good ol solid trucks.. her car was towed, mine i got in and drove away. the best part though, i could see my hooks.. traler hookups, my whole front end was imprinted on her rear of her car.. i was a little proud of my toyota then, even the CHP liked it. sorry your truck didnt make it though quite as lucky but it will survive, its a toyota!...

BTW, GO DUCKS!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by nomiss05
i was traveling on a highway here is so cal and the traffic all stopped at one time, there were like 4 seperate wrecks but i rear ended a lady in a 05 corolla, we were doing myabe around 20-25 after slamming on my breaks. her WHOLE read end was gone, trunk, bumber, both panels, every peice of plastic, everything.. only her window survived. the only think i could think of is, oh God i wont be able to have the money to fix my truck.. i get out and look at it... the hood right where the latch is had a small dent. my licence plate was bent a lil and the bottom peice of flimsy metal was dent in (i can pull it out with my hands straight). it ran fine, and i was about a block away form my mechanic so i stopped by and ran a quick look with him and nothing was wrong internally.. gotta love steel bumpers ad good ol solid trucks.. her car was towed, mine i got in and drove away. the best part though, i could see my hooks.. traler hookups, my whole front end was imprinted on her rear of her car.. i was a little proud of my toyota then, even the CHP liked it. sorry your truck didnt make it though quite as lucky but it will survive, its a toyota!...

BTW, GO DUCKS!

Thats weird because with stock bumper my buddy folded my bumper in with ease with his truck trying to push my front axle off a stump. lol. oh and the ducks rule!! lol.

Johannes, no matter what happens with insurance, all i can say is DONT GET RID OF HER!! its a toyota, its always salvageable! lol. least thats what i'd do.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM

the picture on my avitar is after the wreck.. im pretty sure anyways, i can even take pics to show you what the damage is, my rear bumber is a lil tweaked cuz i was backing up to beat a buddy out of a parking lot and thought i was clear of the brick wall... apparently i mis judged the distance, needless to say, my bumper lost against it. but i did take a chunk with me!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by nomiss05
the picture on my avitar is after the wreck.. im pretty sure anyways, i can even take pics to show you what the damage is, my rear bumber is a lil tweaked cuz i was backing up to beat a buddy out of a parking lot and thought i was clear of the brick wall... apparently i mis judged the distance, needless to say, my bumper lost against it. but i did take a chunk with me!
LOL. thats a better story than why mine is bent. It was kind of tweaked when i got it but after turning around on many a norrow logging road in the dark has led to a corner folded in a bit. lol. although i did back clean into a stop sign at idle in reverse (enough to make quite a thunk) and not a scratch in the bumper. .
and bravo on taking a chunk, those walls are a menace. lol.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 AM

i was pretty proud of it, my friends all laughed.. but none of their tuners could have taken a chunk out of a brick wall.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Update:

I'm keeping her. Frame has been pulled straight. Now just waiting for sheetmetal to hang. I have the hood hinges, just need a grill, headlight bezels, hood, and driver's side front fender. I got about 3K for the repair, and it's going to cost me about 5K to fix it, which in my opinion, is worth it.

I looked around for weeks for a new ride and I just didn't find anything that hit me like my rig does, and considering I have an $8K bugdet, it was impressive that nothing within that price range could equal to how much I like my '85.

I'll have pictures posted of the damage soon, I wish I could have taken one of the frame warping, it was intense, like soooo crescent shaped. It never drove bad before, but it'll run straighter than an arrow now.

QUESTION: Temperature gauge in dash isn't functioning after accident. Is that engine or exhaust temp? Where's the thermometer? Any tips on fixing it?

Front bumper pulled right out. Besides some paint chipping you almost cant tell it was ever bent.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
glad an Oregon Runner is being resurrected.
Temp gauge is engine temp (coolant I think, brain dead just got doing taxes ) look for a loose connection or damaged sender that may have been damaged in the wreck.
You can find a Factory Service manual with wiring diagrams in the FSM link in my sig...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Yeah Johannes!!!!! Glad to hear your gonna keep that rig!! cant wait to get ya comeing out with the 4 wheel club!!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Sweet, I wanna see pics!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:01 PM

haha, thats weird. i was just in my first accident the other day too. only i was rearended at about the same if not faster speed on snow and ice... heres my winnings:

heres his

Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Me wanna see piccies too...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM

kinzer, was there even ANY damage to your rig??? lol
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Yeah his tailgate is a little dented where the snow has fallen off. Otherwise looks like it's still in great shape!

Hey, anyone know of anywhere in the U.S. to buy good body parts of fiberglass or steel? I tried the fellow in Canada, but it's $600 just to ship them to me.

Last edited by Johannes; 03-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Just Got In My First Wreck...And Won *Pics Soon*