84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Finished Painting.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black top would be nasty! great looking truck.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 AM

I'm attempting to start the truck and im not getting any kind of crank. I bought a new battery cause I new the old one would be shot. I do recall a certain connection that has to be put back together for it to start some were in the rear of the truck. Anyone familiar with this?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Only a few things it could be, but first, I'd check;

1. Starter connector from harness to starter. Mine came out easy, so I rigged it up toight! lol
2. Be sure that, even with the new battery, you're positive side secondary wire is connected well, and that the ground side secondary is as well
3. Make sure the starter cable is attached well and that, and IF you have a starter relay. check that(not sure I remember what year yours is... think they added them in 88??)

Do you have power to the dash, etc.? Just no crank? Any clicking at all? Has it been sitting, and possibly the starter solenoid froze up?(lil rap with a hammer has freed mine up after sitting 2 years).

Just throwing stuff out there.. MORE INFO, PLEASE? Lol.

PS> "Rear of the truck".. ??
Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Only a few things it could be, but first, I'd check;

1. Starter connector from harness to starter. Mine came out easy, so I rigged it up toight! lol
2. Be sure that, even with the new battery, you're positive side secondary wire is connected well, and that the ground side secondary is as well
3. Make sure the starter cable is attached well and that, and IF you have a starter relay. check that(not sure I remember what year yours is... think they added them in 88??)

Do you have power to the dash, etc.? Just no crank? Any clicking at all? Has it been sitting, and possibly the starter solenoid froze up?(lil rap with a hammer has freed mine up after sitting 2 years).

Just throwing stuff out there.. MORE INFO, PLEASE? Lol.

PS> "Rear of the truck".. ??

Truck 1985 4runner 22re 5spd 4wd

The hazards work on the dash, horn and when the key is in the on position it lights up the charge sign on the dash cluster. Going back to the rear you have a wiring harness that is on the drivers side. It comes from under the dash back behind the drivers seat to a box for the rear power window. Right next to that box I have a plug that I'm not sure what it plugs into and I don't have anything to plug it into at this point. Also I have three plugs under the drivers seat. One goes to the seat belt the other two I'm not sure were they go and I don't have any plugs for them to plug into. Also nothing else on the dash works. The volts from the battery do no register with the dash cluster.

Sorry for the BS no descriptive first post. I'll check back shortly for any responses, I'm going to go take a nother look.

Also I do recall about 3 years ago when my brother and I were taking apart the truck that we ran into the same problem when we went to move it but we figured it out. Now I have know idea what it was.

Edit: no cranking at all.

Last edited by richf; 08-29-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Hmmmmm. Interesting that you're not getting any cluster voltage. As far as those "WTH ARE THESE" wires, lol... maybe turn to the key to on and then turn it to STA position and see if you get any voltage to those 'mystery' plugs. They are original harness connectors that you're talking about? If not, maybe they were just to an AMP or something similar that the PO removed?

Do you have brake lights? Turn Signals? Parking lights? I doubt any within the cab control that, but it's worth checking into and making a list of 'THIS WORKS, THIS DOESN'T', ya know? I'm not a huge help, I'm sure, but maybe someone, the more you check, list for them, etc., might be able to say "AHHHHHHH hahhhhhhhhh! I know what that is", ya know? Mine's a 4runner, so I have connectors, etc., under the console.... But not sure under the seat area.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 AM

I'll see if I can get the camera to work and take some pictures for you to take a look at. I do believe this truck may be a SR5 if it makes a difference.

thanks for the help chef.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 AM

Ok here are the pictures.
This is mystery plug #1 The thing in green tape is the switch for the bolts that secure the top.

Mystery Plugs #2 & #3 under the driver seat. The connect that is connected goes to the seat belt.

Mystery Plug #4 this is the plug behind the driver seat on the drivers side. It sits next to the power window connection as you can see.

and this is the dash as you can see the turn signal work and the little charge light on the bottom right is light up.

thanks for any help guys.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Hey Rich,

I'm pretty wiped, tore into the head on mine today and about 10 other things, since around 10am... just came back in and I'm DONE, lol. I'll look at mine and think on this, maybe hit my chassis electrical diagrams(you might wanna hit that section as well in the haynes or whatever manual you have.....)... Check thoroughly, because THOSE ARE factory wiring looms and connectors. Toyota used those pastel colors and stripe marked wiring, ... just not EXACTLY sure just yet what they're going to. Is there a CAB-LIGHT in the rear, ... I know some of them had one, and maybe the SR5 would, eh?

In regards to the dash, Hmmmmm... That IS an SR5 Cluster, and there are a couple reasons why the gauges wouldn't work. One of them would be wiring, another would be they're not connected at the Oil Pressure Sending unit or Coolant Temp Sensor. If those lights work, but not the dash lights, I'm not sure that's going to mean that it's just bulbs, as I'm pretty sure that the signal and check engine and charge lights, etc., are independent of the rest(they switch off when you turn on the truck and they aren't dependent on the headlight aux. switch, ya know?). Meaning, also, the lights that light the dash up, like the gauges and speedo and tach and odometer?... all those bulbs are on the same circuit. If NONE of them work, ....that's interesting(and you said you have no voltage there, hmmm). If ONE worked and the others didn't, ...well, then you probably would just have to replace the bulbs, as they're all powered off the same strip-feed. Also, I see the lights on the right, but no Check engine light.... that's interesting as well... maybe, by some short or bad wiring connection, you're not getting power to 'SOME' of the dash cluster circuits.... I guess I would think so, considering you said 'no power to the connectors that light the rest of the dash".

You said you have a roll down rear window... is that stock? If so, does it have defrost? By the look of the box you said controls it, .... I would think they'd have just included it there, if so.

Far as the 'no crank'... I'll put up some info asap on that, ok? I still say solenoid is frozen or fried, possibly? Give it a wack yet?

I'll look into it as best as I can, Rich....Gotta crash, I'm just wiped.... and I think I'm sounding moronic! hahahaha. I will think on it, though, promise!

Have a good night... and don't stress, it'll come together, Rich, we'll/you'll figure it out. ...and it's LOOKING GOOD!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM

PS> Are you SURE you're getting fuel and then power to the ignition system, etc.? Have you tried jump starting it?(I'm assuming it's a stick... lol)

Also, forget the starter clicking... do you hear 'click' behind the glove box when you turn the key over to try and start it? I'll read back, tomorrow,.. because, again, I'm assuming it's EFI and has a Circuit Open Relay that would be clicking when you turn over the key, lol... Told you, I'm tired, ...be back soon as I can man. I'm sure others will chime in, too.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Rich,

I'm pretty wiped, tore into the head on mine today and about 10 other things, since around 10am... just came back in and I'm DONE, lol. I'll look at mine and think on this, maybe hit my chassis electrical diagrams(you might wanna hit that section as well in the haynes or whatever manual you have.....)... Check thoroughly, because THOSE ARE factory wiring looms and connectors. Toyota used those pastel colors and stripe marked wiring, ... just not EXACTLY sure just yet what they're going to. Is there a CAB-LIGHT in the rear, ... I know some of them had one, and maybe the SR5 would, eh?

In regards to the dash, Hmmmmm... That IS an SR5 Cluster, and there are a couple reasons why the gauges wouldn't work. One of them would be wiring, another would be they're not connected at the Oil Pressure Sending unit or Coolant Temp Sensor. If those lights work, but not the dash lights, I'm not sure that's going to mean that it's just bulbs, as I'm pretty sure that the signal and check engine and charge lights, etc., are independent of the rest(they switch off when you turn on the truck and they aren't dependent on the headlight aux. switch, ya know?). Meaning, also, the lights that light the dash up, like the gauges and speedo and tach and odometer?... all those bulbs are on the same circuit. If NONE of them work, ....that's interesting(and you said you have no voltage there, hmmm). If ONE worked and the others didn't, ...well, then you probably would just have to replace the bulbs, as they're all powered off the same strip-feed. Also, I see the lights on the right, but no Check engine light.... that's interesting as well... maybe, by some short or bad wiring connection, you're not getting power to 'SOME' of the dash cluster circuits.... I guess I would think so, considering you said 'no power to the connectors that light the rest of the dash".

You said you have a roll down rear window... is that stock? If so, does it have defrost? By the look of the box you said controls it, .... I would think they'd have just included it there, if so.

Far as the 'no crank'... I'll put up some info asap on that, ok? I still say solenoid is frozen or fried, possibly? Give it a wack yet?

I'll look into it as best as I can, Rich....Gotta crash, I'm just wiped.... and I think I'm sounding moronic! hahahaha. I will think on it, though, promise!

Have a good night... and don't stress, it'll come together, Rich, we'll/you'll figure it out. ...and it's LOOKING GOOD!
When the truck was daily driven about 3 years ago everything seemed to work fine. I do not remember any of the gauges not working. Also I smacked the starter with a wrench but still not start not even a crank. Like I said before I had this problem in the past but I'm not sure what I plugged in to make it work.

The roll down window is in the rear like all 4runners. I do not believe it has defrost.

Would the rear tail lights, front lights and turn signals have to be installed for the truck to be turned on? I do not have them installed as of right now.

Can anyone with a 4runner or SR5 runner take a look under your seat and see if you have theses same plugs and the same thing for the plugs behind the panels on the drivers side. Did SR5 4runners come with power drivers side seat? Maybe that's what the plugs are for.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 AM

alright found out what mystery plug 2 & 3 plug into. They go to the rear window controller. up and down and the window washer.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 AM

HOLY CRAPOLI, Rich.... I"M SO SORRY! I told you I was tired, .... I JUST realized this was a 4Runner. I even went back to the pic of your truck! hahahaha. Sorry man, I've been a bit overwhelmed!

I will check out the kick panel, today. You've got an SR5, and I'm not sure, but it should have Cruise Control...>??? As far as the dash lights, I'll have to look, to see if that one plug is related(just might be). It could be part of the ignition switch, etc.

I'm not sure if you dug into the motor end to clean things up, but it's possible that the STA plug(starter) from the relay became disconnected. If so, NO GO-GO on the starter. It's a single wire with a colored plug(on my 87 it's brown). Far as banging on it, I would use something heavier than a wrench. You don't want to dent it, of course, ....but toward the starter motor end, where the solenoid housing is, you'd want to give it a good whack. It might just be a starter that's frozen up. It might help to have someone turn the key over and listen for a 'hummm', as with anything that might have frozen up. Starter is not that difficult to remove, and can easily be verified at your local parts store for free. Just because it worked, before, doesn't mean it's not given up the ghost, right?

I'm looking in my book right now, too. Can't get out to my truck till a lil later, K?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 AM

Plug #1 looks like the plug related to the window motor in the top, I'll have to look again at mine.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Thanks man I'm going to take some more pictures and check on the starter.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 AM

This is under the dash on the drivers side. As you can see two more mystery plugs and it looks like some relays are missing on that board.

I took these so you can get a better look at plug 1 and 4

Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Anyone have and info on those plugs? I was toying with it today and still getting the same thing. Is it possible that the tail gate must be hooked up for it to start?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
Rich ..
that plug on the left hand side .. in the pic with the green tape ..

is a detector switch .. it must be bolted to the "skeleton" .. and then with the top on , and the "specific" bolt in place .. it completes the circut for the rear window ... so it will move up and down

the one next to it is for the rear speaker

Last edited by slacker; 08-30-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
Rich ..
that plug on the left hand side .. in the pic with the green tape ..

is a detector switch .. it must be bolted to the "skeleton" .. and then with the top on , and the "specific" bolt in place .. it completes the circut for the rear window ... so it will move up and down

the one next to it is for the rear speaker

thanks. have any info on the other plug by the power window box right behind the drivers seat?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 AM

Just an update. I got the truck running last night. Turns out I needed the 100amp fuse under the hood and a flue pump fuse. I have know idea how both of those went out but they did. I didn't find this out until I purchased the $130 flue pump and then I took it out for a spin and broke both belts.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by richf
thanks. have any info on the other plug by the power window box right behind the drivers seat?
Does your window wiper on the rear work? If not, maybe that's the culprit you're chasing down?

Great to hear you got it running. Yep, that High Amp Boy(Alternator Fusible link) in the Fusible Link Box will sure keep ya stranded... Sorry, I should have thought of that... been too slammed lately, with work and my own gremlins, hahaha. Slipped right past me.

Belts are cake, .....good thing to hear it's RUNNING! Have fun, Rich!

Quick Reply: Finished Painting.....