84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

dual tcase, best transfer case to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dual tcase, best transfer case to use?

So I'm heavily contemplating doing the dual transfer case setup. I've pretty much read that it has been pretty much nothing but good for those that have installed or set them up. I don't really see any downsides to it besides creating a slightly steeper rear driveshaft angle, but I think that the double cardan joint will take care of that in the back.

I've got an 84 4runner that I've been building for the last year and a half so (just keep plugging away when I have free time). I just installed wabs classic 4" in the front and 5" in the back. Awesome lift and definitely some of the best stuff you can get out there. Before getting the driveline work done, i figured I may as well take a good look at the dual transfer cases.

Is there a setup that is better as far as which cases to start off with? From a particular rig/model? Also, I see info on upgrading to 23 spline over the stock non turbo 4cyl 21 splines. Any have any input/suggestions on the dual setup? I just like to get things right on the first go round.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Dual adapter, 23 spline
Crossmember, extra tcase mount
4.7 gears, 23 spline
HD detent springs
Speedo extension
Twin stick or even triple stick
Extra tcase
Possibly chromoly rear output

Front case or crawl box has to match your tranny, top or rear shift
Yours being an 84 carb I bet it's forward shift

Rear case has to be top shift

Any case can be converted either way

Use your stock case where applicable and then just find another good post 83 tcase.
You can look on Pirate FAQ and see the differences.

To assemble everything it all gets torn apart so you can replace any bad bearings or seals then.

If you don't do 4.7 gears and upgrade them to 23 spline you must stick with 21 spline.

Fixing to do this exact thing to the shop Mascot.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the info, it will help.

This mod is completely new to me, as has been a lot of this project. I will read up more and post as I learn more about the project from a standpoint of being new to duals.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:17 PM

So far what I have is the following:

Costs/Parts
--------------
Second Transfer top shift $150
Transfer Case adapter - $320
Speedo Cable Extension $30
Cross Member $210
Universal output flanges $27 each (not necessary)
4 new shift knobs $25
Twin stick shifter - $160
Twin Stick shift boot - $20
TCase mounts? (needed/quantity?)
4.70 gears with 23 spline - $470
HD Springs ~$25

It is looking like the cost would be around $1500 so far. Are there any other necessary parts that anyone sees?

I believe I have both top shift tranny and tcase at the moment in the truck. I think the best option would be to get another top shift tcase for the second one. Does anyone have a photo of this installed in the cab? I'm beginning to get a grip on the whole install/setup, but still a little foggy in areas.

Quick question, the 4.7's go in the rear case and the 2.28's go in the front/crawl box right?

Last edited by live4soccer7; 10-11-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Banned

Shift knobs will come with adapter, twin stick and gears.
Dual cases put out a LOT of torque. You want a new tcase mount.
With 4.7 gears 23 spline, adapter has to be 23 spline.
You should consider Bobby Long's chromoly output shaft.
You can put 4.7 gears up front too but typically in the rear case.
Some pics on project "Weasel".

Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I am running two mounts from 4xinnovations:

With the additional torque Wabbit mentioned you should consider upgrading your motor mounts too. They can fatigue. Mine before I replaced them(not sure if just old or from the duals)

4crawler has a write up on chaining the mount, cheap upgrade.

Last edited by dropzone; 10-12-2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM

octo, which mounts did you go with on the tcases? Also, did anyone see any missing items from the list to complete the mod besides mounts?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:37 PM

Couple quick questions on quick understanding of all the functionality of the duals. So there would be the standard tranny stick, obviously, the standard transfer case stick and then the stick for the duals as well. What would the "triple" allow? different gear ratios in 2wd? Is that the only difference?

edit: never saw anything about duals in weasel.

Last edited by live4soccer7; 10-14-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I am running two mounts from 4xinnovations:
Originally Posted by live4soccer7
octo, which mounts did you go with on the tcases? Also, did anyone see any missing items from the list to complete the mod besides mounts?
See above: http://4xinnovations.com/p-TCC1322.html

Originally Posted by live4soccer7
Couple quick questions on quick understanding of all the functionality of the duals. So there would be the standard tranny stick, obviously, the standard transfer case stick and then the stick for the duals as well. What would the "triple" allow? different gear ratios in 2wd? Is that the only difference?
The triple sticks like Radesigns: http://radesignsproducts.com/TripleSticks.aspx or
Dave's Off Road: http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...e-shifter.html
are nice because there don't require you to have an additional hole in your Tunnel. they also allow you to keep the truck in low range but in 2WD. This is nice when you are running a front locker and are bound up. Can help prevent destroying a birf or front R&P.

Some folks are under the impression that a triple stick or twin stick would allow you to do front digs (front wheel drive only) but that is not true, you would need a rear driveline disconnect to do that..
Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 AM

Interesting information. Thanks for the info. Any preference over either triple stick setup? Will either clear w/o body lift. I know the one from daves says it will, but how about the other?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

I have heard that the Radesign's T/S needs a body lift but that you can get it to work.
They are both well designed.

here is how ScottyC installed one in his 3rd Gen 4Runner:
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Rory Desjardin from www.RADesignsproducts.com was kind enough to send me one of his triple shifters as a prototype testing platform. I must say that this kit is pretty damn simple to install. It will require minor cutting of the transmission tunnel, but I sure do wish this kit would have been available when I started my build.

It went together seamlessly and the only reason I cut out the center portion was to make it easier for me to bolt the linkage on. Trust me, I did NOT want to have to drop the t-cases as that requires pulling the entire front suspension out, so working from the top was much easier. Also, simply cutting an access panel for the shifters and using some 18 gauge steel as the panel was simple.

The kit comes with everything you will need except some RTV.

I still at this point have to trim up on the portion of the center console to fit, but I will at least have access to one cup holder again, which IMO is critical. After all, you might spill your drink!
There was an install article in a 1st Gen 4Runner in Toyota 4Wheel Drive owner's magazine a few issues ago.

Last edited by dropzone; 10-17-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: can get it to work, not can't
Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 AM

sweet.... I like it. I see that one comes with a boot, does the other as well? It doesn't say anything about it. If they are equivelant in quality then that would probably be the deciding factor. That and the BL issue. I do need to replace my body bushings, so a BL wouldn't be ab bad idea. Any idea on how much would be needed?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I have heard that the Radesign's T/S needs a body lift but that you can't get it to work.
They are both well designed.

here is how ScottyC installed one in his 3rd Gen 4Runner:

There was an install article in a 1st Gen 4Runner in Toyota 4Wheel Drive owner's magazine a few issues ago.
Can you post a link to that build up tread I can't seem to find it......man I love Scottys builds
Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 PM

It looks like i have a g52 or a g54, which from what I am reading means that I would need a top shift transfer for sure. The one in the truck should be a forward shift.

From what I believe, I can keep the one in the truck and use that for the crawl box and then the top shift that I find will be for the rear case. Can anyone confirm that? Also is it going to make a difference if I know i have a G52 or a G54, can't imagine it would? Just thought I'd ask though.

Also, for the fact of know, could I simply replace the g series tranny with a w56 series tranny w/o any adjustments/adapters or no? Just like to know what the options are in case that comes up in the future.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:28 AM

I guess the last thing that I need to know and am not sure on is if with the triple stick will work with a top shift crawl box (forward most box) and a rear forward shift box? I have a forward shift in it already so, I don't think I have to convert it if I buy a top shift for the crawl box. Can anyone shed some light on this. I think I should be able to get started after that.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Just got the triple shifters from radesigns. I would expect it would be here in a few days or so as he is only a few hours away from where I live.

I'm contemplating just getting two dual transfers as you can get a transfer for the price of the conversion kits and you need two top shift transfers anyways.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

Building one will help you understand things so much better for future repairs and projects.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM

What are you referring to when you say, "building one"?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Your last post sounded like you were thinking about buying built units.
Did I read it wrong?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm not buying built units. I will build it myself. I was referring to buying two top shift transfer cases (stock ones) instead of doing the conversion on the forward shift. It seems that you can get a transfer for around 150 and the kits to convert them cost that much. I will build the boxes, I always try and do as much as I possibly can myself. Look forward to tearing them apart and building up the crawl box. Should be a fun project. A little spendy, but fun.

Quick Reply: dual tcase, best transfer case to use?