84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 yota pickup standard reg cab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 yota pickup standard reg cab 4x4

Curious just a little bit here not looking do any long distance far shipping expensive stuff, but the way i'm looking at my current problem is hey a lot of american made trucks and cars can be restored with LMC but all i find for toyota is these bs pull your leg websites like rockauto, autoanything,JCWhitney, yea you can get a few good parts like a shroud but im looking deeper way deeper like a full resto project, panels, dash, guage cluster, trim parts, seats, door panels the full go around. my problem seems to be either i'm searching the wrong things on the internet or there isn't anything easy like LMC for toyota, and i'm going to be browsing ebay, craigslist and junk yards trying to accomplish my task. if anyone out there could help me expedite and narrow my searches, like is there a secret website with a crazy password or you know a guy who knows a guy, or maybe as simple as a single word. Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You pretty much nailed it .

Hunt for parts on Toyota Forums Ebay perhaps you will get lucky !!

Yards either don`t buy Toyota`s or that vintage has long gone to the crusher or what is there is picked over pretty good.

Fact of life Toyota`s just don`t have the aftermarket support Like the Big 3 American companies.

Finding Drive line parts is not to bad it is all the other restoration parts .

It does help to let us know where you are.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Depending on your location can make a big difference. 5 years ago I could find a Toyota on Craisgslist. Now I am lucky to see one come up on a monthly basis. We don't have the support like some of the more common big 3. Some parts are about to be come non existent any more.

When I do stumble in to a parts, I get some for the long haul as I can only imagine what finding some will be 5-10 years down the road for two of the trucks I intend to keep.

I have gotten good at restoring some interior parts. There is a build thread where one guy even made his own door panels and turned out great. Look in the Build Thread section for Gregos build. I think it is in his build on the door panels.

Good luck on a dash pad. I have found some and then to have them to crack out at a later time. There are some cover out there that don't look bad.

There is a ton of information on getting around some of the problems with a restoration on here, just depends on what you are looking for. This site can help a lot, just got to get used to it.

I too am restoring an 85. In my opinion, carb is the way I am going to go as I am afraid the electronics is going to start to be an issue. I went thru all the trouble of getting mine EFI and now I am going to go carb just for ease in the future.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately these trucks are being shipped to South America at an astounding rate. Parts are getting harder and harder to find.