84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

84 2wd Toyota EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 84 2wd Toyota EFI

I'm having a problem w/ getting my truck to start. It turns over and starts when I squirt gas in through the air intake tube. I'm not getting power at the fuel pump unless I straight wire it from the battery. The fuel pump comes on and the truck fires up but will not stay running. Any help on trouble shooting this issue. Its a 84 toyota truck 22re FI motor. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 PM

My first thought was that EFI didn't come out until 85, and then only in 4WD 4Runners.

Anyway, is it that the truck stops running because the fuel pump stops?
I think there's a relay in the 12V line to the fuel pump, and maybe the relay's control circuit (EFI ECM?) has a problem. I'll look at a wiring diagram.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 PM

And does it run OK when you direct wire the pump?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Usually the problem is the either the air flow meter or the circuit opening relay that causes that particular issue.

You can actually jump the fuel pump test connector to get the fuel pump running since it bypasses the airflow meter; however this won't work if the circuit opening relay is shot. The fuel pump will run anytime the key is set to the "ON" position.

Air Flow Meter testing procedure.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml

I don't have the circuit opening relay procedure with me at this time, but I can post it when I get home if the above testing procedures don’t reveal the problem.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:17 PM

It will crank and run for about 5-10 seconds but it shakes like hell. The fuel pump is working, the air flow is working but I just don't think that the fuel is getting through the injectors. I'm gonna try to get the injectors cleaned out and see if that helps any.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by purevenom1
I'm having a problem w/ getting my truck to start. It turns over and starts when I squirt gas in through the air intake tube. I'm not getting power at the fuel pump unless I straight wire it from the battery. The fuel pump comes on and the truck fires up but will not stay running. Any help on trouble shooting this issue. Its a 84 toyota truck 22re FI motor. Thanks in advance.
The fuel pump relay is located right behind the RF speaker, does it have water in it? Also, I assume the air flow meter is hooked up and plugged in? If its not, the air flow meter opening is what turns the fuel pump on when your not craking on it (engine running). Turn the key on, engine off, reach i nside the air flow meter and open and close the door, do you hear the relay clicking? You should.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
You can actually jump the fuel pump test connector to get the fuel pump running since it bypasses the airflow meter; however this won't work if the circuit opening relay is shot.
Actually, jumping the 2 pin "T" terminal at the air flow meter does power the pump directly, it does not even go through the relay. So this bypass method ingnores the relay and will run the pump, assuming no trouble elsewhere.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Actually, jumping the 2 pin "T" terminal at the air flow meter does power the pump directly, it does not even go through the relay. So this bypass method ingnores the relay and will run the pump, assuming no trouble elsewhere.
Learn something new everyday

It will crank and run for about 5-10 seconds but it shakes like hell. The fuel pump is working, the air flow is working but I just don't think that the fuel is getting through the injectors. I'm gonna try to get the injectors cleaned out and see if that helps any.

Does the motor go into a fast idle when first started up? It should go somewhere between 1000-1500 RPM's. Does fire right up or does it crank for a while?

I had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned in my 84 and it made a huge difference. However, I check and tested every single component (computer and every sensor, all ignition components, and checked for vacuum leaks) and ohmed out the entire wire harness to narrow my problem down to the injectors.