Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON!! 22R front main seal leak AGAIN and AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Please don't get mad but THAT'S your "leak"? Does it get worse?

:wabbit2:
not exactly sure what you are asking. Yes it is a leak. I kind of have a problem with doing things half ass.
Oil leaks, in my experience, usually get worse.
Are you suggesting this isn't much of an oil leak and I shouldn't be concerned about it??
Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
any chance that the timing cover would be slightly mis aligned causing the sleeve not to line up properly with the seal causing the seal to wear to somewhat of an oblong shape?
Yes that may be but it is hard to tell visually when I have the thing tore down.
Besides, I have put 2 new seals in this thing in a matter of a month. The repairs I have done regarding this issue have not changed anything.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
when you are changing the sleeve etc etc are you just removing the oil pump or taking the entire timing cover off? If just the oil pump, if the timing cover is off a bit I can see it being hard for even a new seal to seal properly if the crank is not exactly centered in the hole. Not saying that's your problem, but might be something to look at.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
when you are changing the sleeve etc etc are you just removing the oil pump or taking the entire timing cover off? If just the oil pump, if the timing cover is off a bit I can see it being hard for even a new seal to seal properly if the crank is not exactly centered in the hole. Not saying that's your problem, but might be something to look at.
In order to install the sleeve you don't need to remove the oil pump. You are only sleeving the pulley.
Sometime this week I will figure it out. The oil leak is enough to the point I need to get this fixed. I am down about a half a quart every 100 miles.
I'll post up a few pics of the mess when I get into it.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I see where you are coming from, if mine leaked I would want it fixed no matter how bad or minor it was. I see xtreme22r's point about the timing cover, could be it? I would most certainly use an OEM seal.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 PM

I agree. Using an OEM seal is the best way but I figured after 3 different Felpro seals ONE would fix it.
Is had been my experience oil leaks only get worse. It would suck if I was somewhere in the middle of nowhere and the seal failed completely. Better to stop any and all leaks while I have the space, tools and time. The problem is I can't seem to find out where in the hell this thing is leaking from.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
In order to install the sleeve you don't need to remove the oil pump. You are only sleeving the pulley.
Sometime this week I will figure it out. The oil leak is enough to the point I need to get this fixed. I am down about a half a quart every 100 miles.
I'll post up a few pics of the mess when I get into it.
Oh I was under the impression you have been changing the sleeve and the seal several times without it working.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM

I first changed the seal and it leaked then I changed the seal and did the speedy sleeve and and it continued to leak with really no change. It was the same slow weeping drip out of the pulley housing.
I hate to half to take it all apart and change the oil pump but it looks like that is what I have to do unless there is someone on here that has any ideas?

Last edited by toyospearo; 01-10-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Is there oil anywhere else but in those pics?

Is it possible the oil pan gasket is weeping and the oil seepage getting sucked up onto the pulley?

I understand the need for not wanting an oil leak. Some of us are just more OCD than others, which is

:wabbit2:
Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sleeved my crank pulley this weekend and used the seal from NAPA. It it possible the seal is to tight now with the sleeve and it is causing the seal to fail? Also could you have some kind of bur or trash on the sleeve? In the directions I read this weekend it said to completely remove all adhesive from the sleeve before installing.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM

I don't know if this matters at all, but I remember somewhere telling me to grease up that seal when you install it. Which is what I did. As well as the rear main.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Did all of the above. I just replaced the pan gasket. I thought that might be it but it's not. I did grease the new seal and I made sure things were nice and clean and tight.
When it comes to oil leaks on my trucks I am OCD without a doubt. I have owned too many american made trucks with given oil leaks. A 22r is a tight motor and when things are on the right way oil doesn't leak. I had a 93 and sold it with 375,000 on the clock and the only oil leak EVER on that thing was the valve cover gasket.
Can't say the same for american made trucks.
I just got out from under the truck and it is leaking still. I talked to Todd at EB and he said it is either the top bolt or the big nut on the pump. It is clearly neither of those.
I can not believe for the life of me this seal is still leaking.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe it's time for a new crank pulley?? Could the belts be to tight and it's pulling up on the shaft to much?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Pulley was replaced, not new but there was only a tiny groove and the seal actually sits just ahead of the grove making it impossible for the groove to let oil slip by.
Belts? mmm that is interesting. Never thought of that. Would that actually have an affect on the crank and where it sits??
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I gonestly doubt a rubber belt is going to have enough torque to pull up on a thick chunk of metal like your crank pulley.
Not only that, but the other pulleys would move before your crank pulley did.

*edited: saw the small stream of oil*
i'd see if you can't pull the whole oil pump, pop out the seal, clean everything up, then re-install everything.
to me it sounds like you might have nicked the seal.

Last edited by peow130; 01-10-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
I gonestly doubt a rubber belt is going to have enough torque to pull up on a thick chunk of metal like your crank pulley.
I agree, no why will a tight belt cause that. If anything you would be eating through alt or water pump bearings.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by peow130

*edited: saw the small stream of oil*
i'd see if you can't pull the whole oil pump, pop out the seal, clean everything up, then re-install everything.
to me it sounds like you might have nicked the seal.
I did. The O ring would not produce a leak like the one I have. At least I don't think it would. If the O ring failed the leak would be between the cover and the oil pump. This leak is coming from the crank pulley area.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i will say it again, CHECK THE PUMP AND THE BLOCK.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you sure it coming from the front seal ? I kept thinking the same thing untill I saw a drip forming between the oil pump and timing cover. Wipe it off , start it up hot and lay under it watching for the source of the leak.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM

the only constant in this is the placement of the timing cover since that has been in the same spot the whole time between all of the seal changes. By block you mean timing cover?

Quick Reply: WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON!! 22R front main seal leak AGAIN and AGAIN!!