Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

weird engine noise!! what is it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird engine noise!! what is it??

This weird noise comes randomly when driving fast. The mph go crazy and the engine kind of dies. Carburetor seems fine, I've got it checked out. Engine seems fine also. I've been told it might be a bad distributor. BTW it's a Toyota 1979 truck with a 20r engine.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Where does the noise sound like it is coming from?

When I swapped my gauge cluster out, my speedometer would make a similar noise because the speedometer cable was not connected properly. You might have a bad cluster or speedometer cable.

I have no idea if this is your problem though because that would not explain why the engine wants to die.
It definitely sounds like something is rotating is and not happy.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 PM

It sounds like it is coming from the driver's side and in the center of the engine. I also encountered this issue when I drove quite harsh changing gears and making a violent turn in order to park in the shoulder of the highway.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:23 PM

today I found out my distributor was loose. I tightened the screw that connects it to the engine and it seems the engine runs quite better now. Maybe this loose screw was the issue after all?
Old 11-18-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
You will need to check and adjust the ignition timing if the bolt holding the distributor was loose. The distributor is adjustable and that bolt along with the slot in the distributor is where you adjust the ignition timing.

This adjustment is critical for the engine to run properly.

How loose was the bolt?

I am assuming that the 20R engine also has the bolt adjustment just like the 22R but I could be wrong.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:41 PM

The bolt was so loose that it was all the way to the top of the slot of the distributor, meaning the distributor was dropped all the way down. You could have moved the distributor easily with your hand. The bolt was less than finger tight. So it was very loose, yeah.

I bet the distributor was moving up and down while driving and messed up the timing and so it made the engine do all these weird noises. I tightened the screw right on the middle and the car seems to run better. I am yet to see if this engine craziness has been fixed though, but I think it has.

How do you adjust the timing? Do you need a timing light gun? Do you do it by ear?