Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Toyota Newb need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was removed(as told to me by the seller) I will check it out regardless though.

I fixed most of my issues though. besides the bog the truck is great and I am very impressed with it.

jeremy
Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the problem related to how far you depress the accelerator or is it strictly a function of rpm's?

I ask because your symptoms sound kind of like the symptoms I had when my carburetor had a clogged fuel passage for the secondary. My truck ran great as long as I didn't get into the secondary on the carb. If I depressed the accelerator pedal too much, it would bog very badly and lose speed very quickly. As soon as I let off the gas a little it would come back to life with a violent jerk much like you describe.

In addition to draining the tank and replacing the fuel filter, I would recommend that you replace the rubber fuel lines and blow out the hard lines with compressed air. Then check the carburetor. Then I would move on to the ignition system. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 PM

I agree with scottd on the possibility of a non functioning secondary being the issue. I can't remember if it is a mechanical linkage that kicks it in, a vacuum diaphragm, or a combination of both. If there is a vacuum diaphragm involved and it's busted, that could also be a possible source of your problem, or as scottd said, a clogged passage or jet in the secondary.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Scott I think you are right on the money. I replaced 20 feet of vacuum line today. Still need a lot more. I have the fuel line and will get that on tomorrow. There are a few issues as there are a few vacuum lines that are plugged and one that was broken off(non related though)

I need to get all the way through the lines and then I will know for sure. So hopefully I find my problem tomorrow but I am sure I am going to have to get into the carb.

Thanks again guys though for continuing to help me out! You guys are a hell of a lot more helpful than pirate4x4 .

Let yall know when I have it fixed.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Ok guys I got the carb borken down. I took the carb cleaner and sprayed it down in the secondary jet at the bottom of bowl... Nothing... Took out the "venturi-secondary" #54 on parts list. The o ring had corroded and was completely clogged with a combination of black rubber and gunk. I cleared it and shot a burst down the secondary jet again and sure enough the cleaner blasted right through and shot out of the secondary.

The interesting part was the carb is not very dirty at all and looks to be done within the last few years. The bottom of the bowl had a little discoloration but nothing like some of the pictures of sludge I have seen on the web. I assume what happened is whoever installed it last did not properly seat the O ring. When the secondary bar"venturi" w/e was forced down into the bowl it ripped part of it and pushed some into the hole this gunked up and eventually clogged. I am going to post some detailed pics with arrows so NEWBs to come can easily fix this exact issue. I did a lot of research on the web and before SCOTT mentioned it I found nothing diagnosing this exact problem. Also I was told on other boards many things to look for that had absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

So I just want to say thank you guys again so much for taking the time to get me up and running! Thanks to Scott for the reco on where to start!

jeremy
Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 PM

For anyone that is having Issues with their 22r carb bogging down very hard during acceleration this is a not a guaranteed fix but a likely candidate!

If you spray carb cleaner into the SECONDARY JET at the bottom and the cleaner does not come gushing out of the 5 holes then you have a blockage that needs to be cleared.

As you guys can see this is my carb before I cleaned it! I had all of my problem from a piece of rubber the size of the tip of a #2 pencil blocking my 2ndary. Once it gunked up it was all over.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Glad I could help. Nice post you added with the pics. Would have been helpful when I had this problem.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM

i have sort of the same problem...but mine is after 3/4 throttle...which is when the secondary Barrel SHOULD open...but mine doesn't always open..and even when it does..it just bogs down...i figured out i have a vacuum leak around the back of the carb ( towards the firewall) no vacuum lines there or anything..so it has to be that the throttle shaft has worn the carb. body...creating a good vacuum leak.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Camo .. that sucks.