Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Starter "sticking?" on first start

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter "sticking?" on first start

Okeh. The day has come to get this beast running and moving on its own power. For those of you who don't know- its got a brand new- never run 22R from Sunwest. New clutch/pp/throwout etc, resurfaced flywheel, brand new rebuilt factory carb, etc...

That being said, I'm trying to crank it up for the first time and other than not firing right up and riding off into the sunset, the starter seems to be "sticking" is the best way I can describe it. I'm not sure what would cause this symptom. It's got plenty of juice from the battery, it's the same starter that I used before the swap that was fine and other than the random "sticking" otherwise it seems fine. So, I'm sure there's a correlation between my sticking issue and not starting.

Got plenty of good gas.
Got spark at the plugs.
Timing is questionable, but I don't think it's that far off.

How do I check my timing without the motor running? I've only ever used a timing light... :/

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srkSB...4m8wyLX7nzUV0=

Ideas? I'm supposed to be moving to Charlotte tomorrow in it lolz...

Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 AM

Been searching like a mad man and can't seem to figure out what would cause this. Bump!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM

that doesnt sound like a starter issues that sounds like timing, it wants to fire but timing is off, maybe by a tooth, you may have its on the wrong stroke like the intake, 180 your dizzy out with #1 at tdc and make sure its the right tooth on the came gear, theres 2 little dots that should line up, one on the cam gear, one on ur dizzy gear, it sounded like it wanted to start, if anything take ur starter out and hook it to a battery and see ifs your starter sticking
Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yep, either ur timing is off, or, the plugs wires r not on the correct plugs ;-)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Cool! Thanks guys! I'm going to go double check everything. When I put it all together it was really late and I was really tired ha... I'll report back and let you know what happens!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Pimp status you guys. The timing must have been off. I think I might have set it at 0* BDC when I put the dizzy in a couple weeks ago. In my defense, it was like 3:30 in the morning and I had worked a double that day after I rowed in the morning. Long days are past now and this B moves under it's own power. Thanks!

I just reset the timing for 0* TDC and put the dizzy back in according to the FSM and it cranked up on the first try. Win. It runs rough, but I need to fine tune the timing with a timing light, and trace all my vacuum lines. They were also put on at an ungodly hour in the morning with little sleep. So there's a few that are probably routed wrong!