Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Rebuilding a trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding a trans

trying to rebuild a 4 speed trans, anyone have any experience? How did you reinstall the bearings?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM

I tried rebuilding my W50 (5-speed) transmission out of my 1980 pickup last year. Here's what I learned:

1.) There's a reason why transmission repair is so expensive. It's because transmission repair and rebuilds are a nightmare. Thinking you have the aptitude to rebuild a transmission because you can rebuild a carburetor or even an engine is like thinking you can fly a jet fighter because you can handle a 5HP go-kart. Even a simple transmission like the L43 or W50 are nightmares to work with.

2.) If you decide to attempt to rebuild your transmission, you will need your pickup's factory service manual (FSM) or your particular transmission's FSM. There are no exceptions to this. You need all the information within for minute clearances and adjustments. Even the little springs need particular adjustments. If you don't mind these tiny adjustments, you'll experience your shifter slipping out of a fork which will require you remove and open the transmission back up.

3.) Pulling and replacing bearings are a nightmare within a nightmare. Get the quality bearing pullers, not the cheap ones from Harbor Freight (the transmission jack/dolly is fine, though.)

4.) The worst substance on the face of the earth is burning napalm. The second worst substance is gear oil. Not bothered by the smell of gasoline or motor oil? Same here. But gear oil nothing like other petroleum products. God help you if you spill any on any carpet or the like. It and the smell will never come out.

5.) Make sure you get all-new OEM replacement snap rings or the aftermarket equivalent. The rebuild kit I had didn't include those. They're vital. You can't use any other generic snap rings.

I plan on pulling and rebuilding my 20r engine this coming spring. I'm looking forward to it. But I am never, ever going to touch another transmission as long as I live. My advice is you buy another rebuilt transmission from Marlin Crawler and swap it out or have a pro do it.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:45 PM

I got the bearings out, now I just have to put it back together!