Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Painting the metal dash parts while dash IN the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Painting the metal dash parts while dash IN the truck?

I have a new dashpad coming in this week. It makes the faded metal dash look it's age. So, have any of you painted your dash while it's IN the truck?
Is that possible?
I'm thinking just tape it off really well. Good spray primer and then try to match with some color matching to the factory blue dash...at a good paint store.
Any ya'll ever done that?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
I could see a lot of over spray on the interior of the cab, if you don't remove the dash first. I guess it would be possible. If you don't remove dash, then I would think about removing the windshield to get to the front edges of the dash.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lons81
I could see a lot of over spray on the interior of the cab, if you don't remove the dash first. I guess it would be possible. If you don't remove dash, then I would think about removing the windshield to get to the front edges of the dash.
After getting my dash pad in, it sure makes the rest of the cab look old. I may have to take it all out now and spray it.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have painted dashes before and one freshly painted piece does make the older ones stand out like a sore thumb. I have painted dashes while in the truck and there is alot of masking to prevent over spray. With all of the masking involved, in my opinion it is worth pulling the dash.

After doing the dash, it made the doors and the rear of the cab look old. Where do you stop? I wound up doing the entire cab, first the doors, and then the rear of the cab. Doing a section at a time was a pain. Next time I will just do it all at once and remove about everything except the headliner.

On a 1st Gen you can remove everything up to and including the VIN Assembly and isnt to bad to remove and install.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-02-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have painted dashes before and one freshly painted piece does make the older ones stand out like a sore thumb.
Yea..see my buildup thread lol:

I have painted dashes while in the truck and there is alot of masking to prevent over spray. With all of the masking involved, in my opinion it is worth pulling the dash.
I can see the benefit of taking the whole thing apart and redoing some of the things like the heater core. I had AC added later and it worked as factory through the A/c controls. But I'm sure it's not working anymore. I want that fixed, eventually, too. It used to work great.

After doing the dash, it made the doors and the rear of the cab look old. Where do you stop? I wound up doing the entire cab, first the doors, and then the rear of the cab. Doing a section at a time was a pain. Next time I will just do it all at once and remove about everything except the headliner.
yea, I heard that. My doors are the 80's velour I had put in with my last name embroidered on it. Like I said, seemed like the thing to do in 1987. duh.
My headliner is good faded some, but intact, just really really dirty from my younger smoking Marlboro 100's in a box days.
Smoking and beer and trucks just went together.

On a 1st Gen you can remove everything up to and including the VIN Assembly and isnt to bad to remove and install.

So, if you get a minute..how'd you do it? Remove the metal dash?
Great forum we have here.