Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Idling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idling Issues

Here recently my 79 started having idling problems. Like when Im just cruising down the road whenever I push the clutch in instead of the RMPs droppin quick like normal it jus barely declines. It seems to me like its a vaccum problem of some sort but really I have no idea.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 AM

Lots of threads pertaining to this subject...use the search engine for the forum...and we need more info. Stock carb? I know when I put my Weber on, I had to adjust the spring on my throttle linkage to get it to close fully. Try working the llinkage by hand to see if there's any play and adjust accordingly. In the meantime, with it running, spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold and the vacuum lines and listen for a stumble. That should give you an idea of where to start. Good hunting. I have a California model and it had all that extra emissions crap on it, when I took it all out, it ran so much better.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by uglymudder
Lots of threads pertaining to this subject...use the search engine for the forum...and we need more info. Stock carb? I know when I put my Weber on, I had to adjust the spring on my throttle linkage to get it to close fully. Try working the llinkage by hand to see if there's any play and adjust accordingly. In the meantime, with it running, spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold and the vacuum lines and listen for a stumble. That should give you an idea of where to start. Good hunting. I have a California model and it had all that extra emissions crap on it, when I took it all out, it ran so much better.
Just don't forget to hook up the vac advance for the distributor. That's the only vac line my truck needs.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:47 PM

I had the same problem. What I did to fix it was attach one end of any old spring to throttle linkage and the other end under a bolt that bolts the carb to the manifold. that was enough tension to pull the throttle all the way back so that it would idle. Problem solved.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Vacuum problems generally have the opposite effect, it will make your idle drop or stop.

Wolverine has your answer, your throttle return spring may be week, or your throttle linkage is getting jammed open. When I got my weber, since it uses the old throttle linkage, I replaced one of the return springs (the long one attaching back towards the valve cover) and I adjusted the linkage pivot spring (the one that coils around the pin on the linkage). To adjust the pivot spring, heat it up (EVENLY) just enough that you can bend it. Bend it open slowly to make the spring more stiff. Heating it too much can warp the spring out of shape.

The nice part about getting stiffer springs on your throttle is that the pedal feels heavier and throttle response feels more crisp.