Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Hello All

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 12 years on Downey springs, and nothing but good things to say about them.

You might want to take a look at my friend Barney's experiences with the OME lift for pickups.

I second the thumbs-down on body lifts.

Last edited by nico; 08-30-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Man what a day guys. On top of breaking a rocker arm yesterday and the water pump failing today. The old yota quit getting fuel. I had to drop the tank and remove all the fuel lines and clean and clear just about all the above. It's finally getting fuel again, but now it's acting like the float sticks or something, it will run just great for about 15 seconds and then fuel just starts squirting out of the top of the carb. I have been working on it since sun up and it just got dark here. I'm pooped and have made what feels like very little progress on her.

2 questions, if anyone can help.

Weber carbs.. What model, where and how much? I have looked at a few, but was not sure which would be best.

20R swap.. what is involved in doing this? I can get the whole motor for $400

I have only installed a body lift once, but it was on a pure mudding chevy. If you guys say that 3" springs will do the job then great heads up and thanks for the forwarning.

Nico, loved the writeup on the POR-15. I have worked with it before and it's some great stuff. I plan to do the interior floorboard as well, then dynomat it.

Im having trouble finding some nice front bumpers. I found a rear bumper I like, but can't seem to find a tube front that will hold a winch but does not have the stinger. I dont need the healight guards, I have always disliked them.

I really could use help on the vaccum hose diagram. Still have alot of unused and random hoses.. a picture... a drawing.. anything would help here. All the diagrams I have seen just don't do any good.

More to come!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
front bumper ideas

this is one from a thread on front bumpers:
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I used a Trail Gear winch mount that is for 84-89's on my '81. It doesn't bolt on but it fits the frame perfectly, just welded it on:

the zip tied turn signals are long gone, was just temp

Here is a link at pirate http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=89727 not specific to first gen truck but there are a ton in there.

This guy makes awesome stuff for 1st Gens: http://www.badlandbumpers.com/ it is the route should have gone

marlincrawler also makes one, I tried for 4 months to get a ship date for a front bumper from them, but they never could give me one...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Yeah, I seen yours in the previous thread ( I searched, I swear! ) but im looking for something that still lets me keep most of the stock look.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow.. your one lucky sob.. id love to find one that year with that little rust. congrtas on the yota!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:29 AM

I agree w/85 toy body lifts are junk. Go with a suspension lift. I have 33's and 4.88 gears on my 83 toy. 4.88 gears work great on the highway and they almost perfectly correct the speedo reading after putting 33's on.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:22 AM

Great info. Thanks Fyre. I have to rip the carb apart today and check why it's squirting gas out of the top. It's either a float sticking or they fuel bypass is not working on the pump.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Sure enough the float was F.U.B.A.R. I dropped 20.oo and rebuilt the carb with a kit from O'Reilys. Once again It fired up first try. Found 2 more vacuum lines that needed to be capped and now the truck idles just fine. I actually got to drive the truck around the block today!! Talk about a great feeling. I was smiling like a fat kid at a buffet, while everyone else was going.. WTF is that guy smiling about in his old beater.

i wonder why one kit came with a new float and the other didnt. Pretty lame in my opinion. Took two rebuild kits and parts from each to completely rebuild one carb.

Bad news is.. Somehow I got the timing 180* out, the truck will go, but has no power and will barely not even pull up a small hill in my yard. Guess this is a good time to do it all myself, double check it. Replace the head gasket and see why the water pump is leaking too.

Still, It's progress...

Oh, and I washed it.. You guys wont believe it but there was a truck up under all that dirt and tar. The paint is actually MUCH better than what I had expected.

Last edited by scooper; 08-31-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need pics of clean truck!!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM

LOL, alright. Wait til it stops raining here and I'll post some for ya.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Been a while

Well, it has been a long time since I have posted anything, I do apologize for the tardiness. I have been driving the yota every day and still love the truck more than any vehicle that I have owned so far, and that's quite a lot.

I need to get some pictures put on here for you guys, I have made a few changes with the truck since my last post.

I have removed the bench seat and added in bucket seats from another 1st gen that I found in the local junkyard. Now I can hopefully put in a center console finally.

I have put a new set of wheels and tires on the truck, It has a set of 32.5's on it now, they are called Hankook Dynapro MT's, and I have to say, these tires are really great. Not only do they ride superbly on the road, they look really, really well in the mud and trails that we have down here in the south, and they look good too.

I started on some bodywork today, I still have not found much rust on the vehicle at all, and just yesterday I had the Interior Rhino lined at a local truck accessory shop. What a great mod. I did drill only a couple of extra drain holes in the floor to stop water from standing in areas that I had noticed when wheeling in the nearby waterhole.

Oh, the fuel and running problem from the ol' 20R has been fixed, It turned out to be a clogged fuel filter from a rusty fuel tank. I fixed it good tho. I got a new tank and some new fuel lines and installed it, then I ripped the 20R out and put the head aside and put a 22R in there. Now im hoping to do a EFI converstion and possible hybrid down the road. I'm still looking into this head swap thing to see what all is needed.

The interior now features a Cobra 25 LTD CB radio and custom speaker mounts that I made myself, and I'm very proud of the install if I do say so myself.

My next project is getting rid of the stock 22r carb and putting a webber on there and modding it a lil' for the hills, I found a nice website showing how to mod the webber to a point that you can nearly stand the truck straight up and down and the carb will not flood. Uphill or Down.

I would really like to thank all of you guys that toned in for the help and assistance with the FSM and support of me and my Hilux.

The truck is being sanded and primered in the next few days and It will have a nice krylon flat green paint job, with a white star on each door, a few product support stickers here and there, but im trying to go with a "survivor"
theme.

More to come very soon.

Oh, the truck now has a set of yukon 4.88 gears and a set of Marlin Chromoly Birfields up front. I will do the rears soon, I shattered the first ones a couple of weeks back and was down and out for a few days.

Last edited by scooper; 12-06-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:17 PM

Added new brakes, drums and rotors today. I swear the old rotors were the thinnest ones that I have ever seen, there were about the size of one of those plastic cases that new CD's come in. I also fixed the E-Brake while I had it all tore down.

I know.. I need to post some pics...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Is it a four speed truck? You ought to look into switching to a 5 speed... which I believe is the L52 transmission...
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Yes , i really would love to upgrade the tranny to the 5spd. the L52 is in my brothers 83 and I love his 5spd. I have to find out if i will have to change rear driveshafts and what all is needed for the swap, if anything.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
squeeze the little pumper thing on teh fuel pump and see if fuel squirts out.
looks like a great start i just paid 750 for a sfa yota rusted out and needed a new motor you got a good deal
Old 12-11-2008, 04:25 AM

Great deal on the old Toyota Cooper. Glad you got it running and driving. Take some pics everytime you work on it for us.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM

I found this forum right after I purchased my toyota. I fell i love with the atmosphere here because there was no bashing going on, even to the new people who ask some pretty simple questions. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you don't start at the top.

I wanted to do my own "build" thread with my truck with photos just like some of you guys have done, it just takes me a while to gets some things done due to the fact that it is also my only vehicle and a daily driver.

I'm going to go take some pics now tho..