Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

AISAN CARB ISSUES: Should I fix, rebuild, or replace w/ new Weber carb???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AISAN CARB ISSUES: Should I fix, rebuild, or replace w/ new Weber carb???

I have a dilemma I need help with, please... I have an 83 22R with Aisan carb that won't start unless I spray stuff in the carburetor - and then BOOM it starts instantly. It will idle on it's own while warming up but it bogs down if I gun it. It has only 60,000 original miles (because it's a motorhome that wouldn't get started for several years at a time).

I want to get the starting issue fixed and then desmog it.

The way I see it is that I have three choices...

1) Fix the starting and bogging down issues but I don't know what is causing them.

2) Rebuild the Aisan carb, but why would a carburetor with only 60,000 miles on it even need to be rebuilt?

3) Replace the original Aisan carb with a new Weber.

What would YOU recommend?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not a mechanic but I'm good with tools and can follow directions.

Last edited by magentawave; 05-14-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 606 Likes on 442 Posts
Does it's choke function??
Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM

Weber's are really nice. It's like going from a flip phone to an iPhone.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM

I'm not sure if the choke is functioning or not, but maybe these three photos will help.

1 PHOTO (left): This was cold and before I tried to start it.

2 PHOTO (center): After trying to start it with NO starter fluid. (It would not start.)

3 PHOTO (right): Started using starter fluid and after letting it run for a few minutes. (I couldn't keep it running without keeping my foot on the gas.)
Attached Thumbnails AISAN CARB ISSUES: Should I fix, rebuild, or replace w/ new Weber carb???-1-before-starting.jpg   AISAN CARB ISSUES: Should I fix, rebuild, or replace w/ new Weber carb???-2-after-trying-start-no-starter-fluid.jpg   AISAN CARB ISSUES: Should I fix, rebuild, or replace w/ new Weber carb???-3-after-running-few-minutes.jpg  

Last edited by magentawave; 05-14-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 606 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by magentawave
I'm not sure if the choke is functioning or not, but maybe these three photos will help.

2 PHOTO (center): After trying to start it with NO starter fluid. (It would not start.)

3 PHOTO (right): Started using starter fluid and after letting it run for a few minutes. (I couldn't keep it running without keeping my foot on the gas.)
Looks like the choke is closing some. Might need to adjusted for even greater cold choke. Do you pump the accelerator vigorously before attempting to crank??

If the carb is dead dry from laying a long time between uses; long cranking times are to be expected.

Does it run well with good power once it is warmed up??
Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by millball
Looks like the choke is closing some. Might need to adjusted for even greater cold choke. Do you pump the accelerator vigorously before attempting to crank??

If the carb is dead dry from laying a long time between uses; long cranking times are to be expected.

Does it run well with good power once it is warmed up??
Yes, I pump the gas vigorously before cranking but it won't start without starter fluid. When running and warmed up it still kind of bogs down if I hit the gas hard and will die if I don't back off. I could drive it if I was careful. Rebuilding looks like a major deal to do myself and very expensive if I pay someone. I just found a new Weber conversion kit on eBay for only $193.00 with free shipping so I'm kinda leaning that way. I figure I can desmog it and put the Weber on and sell the Aisan for about $75.00 on eBay and I'm way ahead.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I'd probably go with the Weber. My 81 is desmoged, with the stock carb. It runs descent for the short distance I drive it everyday. At some point I will switch to a Weber.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:13 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Be sure to get the real Weber. I've always heard there are cheap knock-offs out there.

Sitting for years will gum up a carb. Sitting is actually terrible for vehicles. Expect an old truck with low mileage to act like an old truck with high mileage. When sitting, seals and bearing don't get lubricated, gas goes stale and gums things.

I had a 78 Chinook and put a Weber with a manual choke on it. I loved it. There seem to only be a few select people with a "touch" for carbs. Everyone else has nothing but trouble rebuilding them. I haven't even had good luck with professionally rebuilt carbs.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot speak for the Weber as I have never had or driven with one, but I had my Aisan rebuilt by a knowledgeable shop for $135. It runs great.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magentawave

The position of the choke valve in pictures 1,2, and 3 are normal.

When you pump the gas pedal, as in starting a cold engine, you should see fuel squirting out of this port, it is circled in red.

That's the manual accelerator pump.

If it doesn't, then you either have a clog circuit or a damaged diaphragm.

The condition of the carburetor in your pictures looks to be in poor condition. The insides looks too dirty, or corroded.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Good point. I hadn't even opened up the photos to get a better view, but since you mentioned it I did. That's a pretty dirty carb.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by 83

Sitting for years will gum up a carb. Sitting is actually terrible for vehicles. Expect an old truck with low mileage to act like an old truck with high mileage. When sitting, seals and bearing don't get lubricated, gas goes stale and gums things.
I agree with 83 (hey, that rhymed).
I personally think cars that sit for long periods of time will suffer much more degradation than one that is regularly driven. I think the carburetor and the rest of the vehicle would be in better condition mechanically if it had twice the mileage.

It is up to you if you want to rebuild your original carburetor or get a new one. I bet either way, the engine will benefit.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 PM

Depends on use..

I ha e an 87 4x4 that is stock with all smog control in working order. I was told by professional you performance guys that you can not desmog with the Asian carb. My truck gets an average of 22 mpg no matter how I drive it. I am still considering a swap to a Webber and a desmogging kit only because I would like a little more power. Not sure how much more I will get though.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:12 AM

Just look around this forum and you'll see all the info you could ever want on whether you can desmog the Aisin carb...
Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Desmogging

I didn't say you couldn't, I said it is not advisable since the Asian is a backfeed carb and needs the smog stuff to function properly. Sure, a lot of "kids" have removed some smog stuff and truck runs ok. I have an 87 with Asian and all smog equipment and the drivability is there and I get 22 to 28 mpg depending on how much trailing I do. Take off anything you want,,, not necessary...
Old 05-25-2017, 05:43 AM

Ok
Old 05-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I've never seen any legitimate claim from someone running a Weber on a 4x4 getting 25mpg or really even close. 19-20 is the realistic average.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:24 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
DO NOT USE A WEBER. They are not great. A properly rebuilt Aisin Carb is way more reliable. I work at a landcruiser specialty shop and every weber that has ever come in gets "tuned" a couple times before its ultimately replaced by a rebuilt aisin. I will add that doing a desmog will bring the engine to life even more (at least on the land cruisers)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
DO NOT USE A WEBER. They are not great. A properly rebuilt Aisin Carb is way more reliable. I work at a landcruiser specialty shop and every weber that has ever come in gets "tuned" a couple times before its ultimately replaced by a rebuilt aisin. I will add that doing a desmog will bring the engine to life even more (at least on the land cruisers)
what does a desmogging consist of in your opinion when running the Asian carb? I may try it. Leary because truck runs so good now.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:42 AM

Weber worked great for me. I agree that a good aisin carb is better, but they're so old now...and so many people do crappy rebuilds. A really good rebuild is one thing. But unfortunately carb experts are getting harder and harder to come by.

Webers are brand new and easy to tune, though they definitely take consistent fine-tuning to stay in the "zone". I will admit that I only had about 20,000 miles on mine when I sold the truck, so I can't say how well they do long term.