Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

20R/Carb/4-Speed Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20R/Carb/4-Speed Swap

I have a 1980 Toyota Pickup which I'm putting a lot of consideration into swapping out the 20R motor, Carburetor, and 4 speed for a 22RE, EFI, and 5 speed. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? If so, how difficult would it be to do?

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure, its possible. Toyota changed the 22r(e) in 1985. Most of the re's you will find will be the later block (correct me if I'm wrong, but early model 22res were only in celicas?). The engine will swap in whole but parts won't interchange between the two. Pry not an issue in your case as you'll be swapping an entire engine. You'll likely have to fab up a crossmember mount for the transmission unless you can come across an L-52 which should be a direct bolt in. Aside from that you'll have to deal with a bunch of wiring.

Personally, it sounds like a big job for not much gain. In my opinion the real gain you would see would be EFI and the extra gear. The former of which is not as critical to me, YMMV. If it were me, I'd swap in a 5-speed and give the 20r a frehening up if it needs it, and maybe a weber carb.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If you can find a L52, it will bolt up to your existing T/C. any transmission besides a L series [21" long] will require you to move the cross member since 84+ G,W, or R-151 transmissions are about 25" long..which means you will need a shorter rear driveshaft and a longer front shaft.
this is based on thinking you are talking about a 4wd..but you didn't specify .
similar conversions have been done a few thousand times. there are a lot of good conversion threads...get the ecu and wiring harness that matches whatever 22re you end up with..stay aware from one from an auto. best bet is to get the whole kit and kaboodle about of the same truck

Last edited by dropzone; 11-22-2016 at 08:42 PM.