Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

craftsman tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Their warranty is not supposed to cover air tools outside of the 1 year warranty that comes standard. I think you got lucky!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it had to be at least 3 years old lol. come to think about it, i never saw that guy there again... maybe he got fired for it.. who knows. he was cool though
Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Husky tools have held up much better than my Crapsman tools. I have given all of my Crapsman tools away over the years and replaced them with Husky and a few True Craft (the True Craft were given to me by a true craft rep). I have only broken one Husky tool, my torque wrench....I took it to the store and they gave me a new one no questions asked. I got really down on Sears after having a lot of trouble with their batteries and there power tools. Cobalt tools look to be built very well, I just never shop at BLoews...it is too geared toward soccer Moms.

Sorry for the misspellings!

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 11-28-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 PM

bloews does suck! i agree!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
bloews does suck! i agree!
Got a nice selection of mechanics tools though, I like it better than the depot b/c the depot has the same junk and not that much of it anyways. I looked in sears, walmart, home depot and the hardware store for a smaller ballpeen under 25 dollars that had anything but a wood handle. Lowes had one.. All I needed it for was work, would wont work as it gets slick and will break overtime.

But I digress, I am not loyal to any one tool maker. I got tools of all assorted brands name or not (not my mechanics stuff). If you work in a shop and the tool guy visits you-your golden. If you gotta track a guy down its much harder and annoying.

Number one thing I break is ratchets, and the gears inside them. Sockets break using air ratchets on them, I havent broken anything else and I been hard on them. Specially day in and out using my snap on cordless impact gun for tire changes at work (sometimes 10 a day). got a snap on cause it had the highest torque output and I use normal sockets lol..
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I've gone Snap-on. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. And they are comfortable too. I think Snap-on makes Kobalt too so they are probly good too.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 PM

I gotta tell ya I feel a lot better after reading all these posts, I thought that I was exceptionally hard on my tools because I certainly break more than the guys I work with and hang around with....now i can just tell myself I'm a harder worker!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by dirtbiker13575
I've gone Snap-on. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. And they are comfortable too. I think Snap-on makes Kobalt too so they are probly good too.
comfortable? I dont like thir open ended wrenches they hurt my palms. Have you checked out that new craftsman open ended wrench? Now that looks easy on the hands.

I know about the trick to use 2 wrenches so you have a flat surface to pull on but sometimes space is limited.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

you guys are bunch of gorillas. I've only broken one racheting wrench, and that's b/c I used it as a hammer, b/c I was too lazy to go find the real hammer. I've worn down three sockets. Other then that, all my craftsman tools are holding up fine.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
comfortable? I dont like thir open ended wrenches they hurt my palms. Have you checked out that new craftsman open ended wrench? Now that looks easy on the hands.
OOOOOHHHHHH shiney.... that looks like a new toy I have to get... christmas is coming ho ho ho... Oh Santa?...

FWIW I have yet to actually break a Mastercraft tool (except for a screwdriver or two... they are really not designed to be used as a pry bar... go figure) I have worn a few wrenchs and sockets out though.... always replaced no problems at all... now for pliers/side cutters etc. you can't beat Klien Tools mine are years old and still work like new...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 AM
CJM

Klein builds the nicest pliers and screwdrivers period. Too bad they are really expensive
Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 AM

x2 on Klein
They make the BEST electrical tools (cutters, pliers, crimpers) and the Sears stores near me now carry there line of tools.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Klien screwdrivers are great but not very comfortable in the hand... best screwdrivers I've found are Wera from W. Germany [last time I looked that was still stamped in the handle x-years after reunification lol (I guess they had a really good mold for the handles)...]
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
if your breaking a 1/4" ratchet, maybe its time for a 3/8". go big!
3/8" is usually my first choice, but too big for tight spots sometimes. Plus I'm a former bicycle mechanic and 3/8 was overkill most times. Now if I could talk myself into a 1/2" set...
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

My grandfather had a vending machine repair company and was big into cars. He had a huge collection of tools that became my Dad's.

We still use his craftsmen tools that are at the minimum 30 years old if not more. I have never broken one of his tools.

Also, I carry a set of 3/8" metric Thorsen tools in my truck and they have never let me down. I use them all the time. I picked up a set with a ratchet, two extentions, regular sockets, and deep sockets for $25 at big lots. I have had them for over a year and havent broken one yet. (I'm known to break a lot of tools also)
Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM

Klien is where it is at for electrical tools. 1st used them with my neighbor as a youngster. He had like $3K worth of klien electrical tools and he always let me borrow whatever I needed. I decided at a young age when I could afford it I was getting quality tools.

In fact I remember the exact moment- I was using a cheap tool tech set of pliers and I had my pinkey in between the handels when one handle broke under my intense teenage grip (no where near old man strength) and I ended up crushing my pinky. Hurt so bad, I still feel it.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM

I could see if I was a mechanic or something then I wouldn't mind spending the money on Snap-On. For my garage at home though, I buy Craftsman. My 207 piece set has gotten me through an engine swap without any breakage. Only one of my tools ever broke. It was about 7 years ago...I came outside to see a buddy standing on a pipe extension on my 1/2" drive ratchet. It broke and ended up in the bottom of my toolbox. About a year ago I finally brought the 2 pieces into Sears. Just gave them the broken one...they handed me a new one and I was on my way.

I see nothing wrong with Craftsman quality.

Jason
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
CJM

Yea what I am saying is sears used to be good, but now thier stuff is cheaper..
Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Guess this all has to do with profession or how much time you spend working on stuff. I Have a craftsmen ratchet set I bought at a pawn shop it came with a broken socket and I have broken one of the hinges on the case...been meaning to bring that stuff back to sears. But I am definetly not a mechanic.

But for my job as an elecrtician I use Klein, Ideal and Greenlee. And have a Millwakee drill. All the people I work with using mastercraft and craftsmen stuff are returning something all the time and eventually going to Klein.

Last edited by toyotatom93; 12-02-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:03 PM

My dad ~20 years ago had a craftsman drill that sat in a bucket of water for about a month (my brother didn't put it back). Well he dried it out and its still goin. But, they probably don't make them like they used to.

Last edited by Mr.Dabadina; 12-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: craftsman tools