Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Mombasa Roof Top Tent Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mombasa Roof Top Tent Review

Mombasa Tent Review
Click on the link above for that review.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Very nice Tim.
I will have a review on mine sometime next month hopefully.

Have had it for a month, finally just got it up to the mountains Saturday for a drive, but did not camp in it yet.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Very interesting review Tim.
I have to admit that is one thing that concerns me about these roof top tents... the weight with people in it.
For example the max. load rating for the roof on my cap is 300lbs. [as is the max rating for most roof racks]
I weigh 200 [with gear lol] the tent would weigh 80-120 I figure [probably more] so you see we've already run out of load... no room for a gf [if I had one] any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Very nice Tim.
I will have a review on mine sometime next month hopefully.

Have had it for a month, finally just got it up to the mountains Saturday for a drive, but did not camp in it yet.
Thanks Corey. I really like the maggiolinas! I was doing a bit of research on them. I may have to check one out sometime.

Originally Posted by aviator
Very interesting review Tim.
I have to admit that is one thing that concerns me about these roof top tents... the weight with people in it.
For example the max. load rating for the roof on my cap is 300lbs. [as is the max rating for most roof racks]
I weigh 200 [with gear lol] the tent would weigh 80-120 I figure [probably more] so you see we've already run out of load... no room for a gf [if I had one] any thoughts?
I was thinking about this. I did a lot of searching and it seemed like the consensus was that the factory racks couldn't handle it. (I figured that one out the hard way)
The other consesus seems to be that the Thule Yakima style racks are fine... When in reality as you stated they are not rated high enough to handle the weight.
I guess we have to assume that the Thule and Yakimas are underrated or that when a load is placed on them statically it is that much different than when its a dynamic load?
I wouldn't worry about your weight (with gear ) by yourself in the tent. I'm about 170 and she is about 120 and even the stock racks were okay with our weight for a while...

One suggestion, especially with Corey's hard shell style, would be to look at doing three load bars to spread the weight out over the roof.
I guess the only other thought I can think of is that every modern SUV is supposed to be able to support the weight of itself on its roof for rollover safety... Sooo as long as the "oversized" load is not moving around up there and is spread evenly over the roof it should handle a lot of weight... I think.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
Sooo as long as the "oversized" load is not moving around up there and is spread evenly over the roof it should handle a lot of weight... I think.
I don't know tim lying still might take a lot of the romance of the whole excursion away, most of the fun of bivuacing in the bush with your gf/so is "moving around" heh heh...

an suv roof could most likely handle the weight with perhaps only a few small depreesions being created in the roof at the attachment points but I was talking more about the roof of a fibreglass cap not being rated for the weight.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm to fat to sleep on the roof
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 AM

Me too
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know tim lying still might take a lot of the romance of the whole excursion away, most of the fun of bivuacing in the bush with your gf/so is "moving around" heh heh...

an suv roof could most likely handle the weight with perhaps only a few small depreesions being created in the roof at the attachment points but I was talking more about the roof of a fibreglass cap not being rated for the weight.
HAHA! I'm sure many a new 4x4 enthusiast were conceaved while out wheeling!
I just finished installing my new Thule bars so we'll see how a FULL test works out this weekend.

I noticed your sig pic after I had posted. With fiberglass I would be a bit worried, but do a little searching and there are a couple of guys using RTT's on their shell.
I've seen some get out the tube bender and make an external rack for holding the weight. That seems the way to go in you're case. Just a lot of extra work. If you incorporated some other needed items it might be worth it. (a few flood light mounts, hi-lift holder, a mount for a nice shade awning!)

Last edited by SOAZtim; 04-15-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...?t=1483&page=3
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...?t=1483&page=4

Check out these couple pages for some options on mounting a RTT on a truck with a shell. Very informative.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I just joined up over there earlier today.
I should have joined a long time ago the way I am building up my rig.

Will catch up on those links, thanks.

Need more hours in the day, so much stuff to look at
Just got a new Camping Cabela's edition catalog over the weekend too.
Drooling over the gear in there too...
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the links soaz... that's more or less what I was thinking if/when I do get a roof tent I would have to build a re-inforcing cage inside to help carry the load. FWIW you could probably fab something adequate out of some 1x2 flat stock and follow the curve/angles of the inside since all you need is another [additional] way to transfer the "static" load to the pick-up bed floor/frame the cap and box would handle the "dynamic" loads with no problem. If that makes any sense...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

I just joined up over there earlier today.
I should have joined a long time ago the way I am building up my rig.

Will catch up on those links, thanks.

Need more hours in the day, so much stuff to look at
Just got a new Camping Cabela's edition catalog over the weekend too.
Drooling over the gear in there too...
Ahhh Cabela's. The one in Phoenix is still pretty new and I can't go in without leaving with something I swear I really need... Its like a costco for outdoorsman!

Thanks for the links soaz... that's more or less what I was thinking if/when I do get a roof tent I would have to build a re-inforcing cage inside to help carry the load. FWIW you could probably fab something adequate out of some 1x2 flat stock and follow the curve/angles of the inside since all you need is another [additional] way to transfer the "static" load to the pick-up bed floor/frame the cap and box would handle the "dynamic" loads with no problem. If that makes any sense...
I'm no engineer, but I'm picking up what your putting down.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Tim, a new Cabela's has opened up in my state, not to far away, but no time to go there yet.
I just mail order my stuff.
Getting ready to place an order tomorrow hopefully for more needed stuff.

As for the weight of my load on the four crossbars, it is 360 lb.
220 for me
130 for tent and ladder
10 give or take for the sheets and down comforter.

It will be even more when I figure in my duffelbag and other gear I will keep with me (AR15 )

So I figure I will be pushing 400 lb pretty soon on the stock roof rack with the four Yakima crossbars.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

I may be wrong, but I think the 100 or 125 lb rating for Yakima/Thule bars is per bar so if you had 2 bars, you could do 200-250. If you go with 3 bars, then you can easily push 300-400 lbs.

Most expedition type trucks with roof top tents have at least 3 and usually 4 mounting points on each side attached to the rain-gutters. There is the problem with our toyotas, no external gutters. I think that the Yakima tracks, or the factory rails with 3 cross bars would be the ticket.

I have seen those tents a few times, and I REALLY like them. The older I get, the more attractive they look.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
I have seen those tents a few times, and I REALLY like them. The older I get, the more attractive they look.
Having owned two tent trailers in the past I really dig it.
Being up off of the cold wet ground is a plus.
Plus they are easier to setup than a tent on the ground.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Having owned two tent trailers in the past I really dig it.
Being up off of the cold wet ground is a plus.
Plus they are easier to setup than a tent on the ground.
Got any pics of the inside of yours? I am curious about headroom. I know its not as much as the tent style, but compared to sleeping on a sleeping platform in the back of my runner it might just seem roomy!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mine is not as high as the Columbus model, as mine id designed for more colder weather camping, so less headroom in my version.

But I can sit up and still have plenty of headroom.
Looks like mine will sleep up to three pretty darn comfortably too.

Here are a few inside shots.
I did not have the down comforter yet, that just came last week, and I am using it on my bed in my bedroom right now
It is soooooooo dang nice, I am going to order one for my bed.

Maybe the next weekend (snow this weekend is in the forecast) I will put the comforter in the tent.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

I think that kind may be for me.
Is that a small or medium?
Mine is not as high as the Columbus model, as mine id designed for more colder weather camping, so less headroom in my version.

But I can sit up and still have plenty of headroom.
Looks like mine will sleep up to three pretty darn comfortably too.

Here are a few inside shots.
I did not have the down comforter yet, that just came last week, and I am using it on my bed in my bedroom right now
It is soooooooo dang nice, I am going to order one for my bed.

Maybe the next weekend (snow this weekend is in the forecast) I will put the comforter in the tent.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

It is the medium one.
Here are the specs.
http://autohomeus.com/products/maggiolina.php
http://autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolinaAirlander.php

Weight 128lbs. (58 kg)

Closed
W x L x H (in)
57” x 83” x 11-3/4”

Open W x L x H
57” x 83” x 36-1/2”

Model No. M/10
So when it is setup, it is a tad over a yard tall.
May not seem like much, but I do not feel cramped at all.

I read over on the Portal that the reason the roof is lower on the AirLand model is to retain heat inside for when you want to winter camp.
The canvas is single wall and water proof, yet the fabric breathes.

And just when I think we are going to get a break in the mountains where I camp and wheel, they are getting 2' this weekend of more snow.

Regardless of the snow up there, I am going up there again in May to camp.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, with it being within 6 inches of the small I think a small would be best for my 3rd gens width or a med if I find a great deal somewhere.
Not right now though, but someday.

It is the medium one.
Here are the specs.
http://autohomeus.com/products/maggiolina.php
http://autohomeus.com/products/maggiolinaAirlander.php

So when it is setup, it is a tad over a yard tall.
May not seem like much, but I do not feel cramped at all.

I read over on the Portal that the reason the roof is lower on the AirLand model is to retain heat inside for when you want to winter camp.
The canvas is single wall and water proof, yet the fabric breathes.

And just when I think we are going to get a break in the mountains where I camp and wheel, they are getting 2' this weekend of more snow.

Regardless of the snow up there, I am going up there again in May to camp.

Quick Reply: Mombasa Roof Top Tent Review