Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Operation Desert Run: Wheeler Injured.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operation Desert Run: Wheeler Injured.

Hey Guys,

this weekend I went out with guys from Cal 4 wheelers to Ocitillo Wells and we had a bad accident out there. On the first obsticle of the day on the "Slot" while climbing a steep hill approx .5 miles from Devils slide, a vehicle failed it atempt on the hill and began rolling backwards. We are not sure exactly what happened (what the driver did) but the vehicle (FJ40 named CHEVYOTA) rooled backwards and turned. The vehicle rolled down the hill inwhich in the middle of the second roll the driver was ejected and launched well over 30 down the hill. the vehicle continued to roll and missed rolling over the drive by inches. There were two other pasangers which were uninjured. The driver survived but was badly injured complaining of back and rip pain. He for sure had broken ribs, but beyond that, I have not received more news other then that he is in stable condidtion. He was life flighted out. Other then that, everything went really well and we all had a good time. I believe there is video of the accident and I will post it if permission is received from the drive. He WAS wearing a seat belt but only a lap belt. In crawling and general offroading one must be able to check his position, but in cases of charging hills and what not, this accident is case for have 4 or 5 point harnesses. Anyways, I'll keep you all updated on the drivers condition as more info is received.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM

I hate to hear about that -- Makes me sick to think about it and I don't think we need to see the video
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Hopefully everyone will be ok. He must have been going up the hill at the beginning...this one

Brucets going down
Old 10-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

i bet that thing is steep as i know pics dont do justice and it LOOKS steep!

hope he comes out ok and even though he was wearing his seatbelt, a lesson should be had to all who do not.