Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

gentryoffroad.com

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gentryoffroad.com

Hello everyone,

http://www.gentryoffroad.com/
I am making a website with lots of trail reviews so that it will be easier for people to research where to wheel. ............yes it is all free.

Enjoy
Lewis
Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM

Thank you TOYOTA 1 for submitting
callahan

Last edited by whokrz; 07-08-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Thank you treknwil for submitting
Prairie City
Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 PM

Cow Mountain
Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 PM

...why are table mesa and fj trail locations listed on the net, thought we didnt want trail routes available to idiots on the internet?
nvm, looked closer at em, and it doesnt have actual gps/directions to the trails, just the trail head which is good.

nice site whokrz !!

Last edited by sh0kk86; 07-11-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sh0kk86
...why are table mesa and fj trail locations listed on the net, thought we didnt want trail routes available to idiots on the internet?
nvm, looked closer at em, and it doesnt have actual gps/directions to the trails, just the trail head which is good.

nice site whokrz !!

sh0kk86 i do not believe that you have submitted a trail, at least not with this user name.

I do not recall telling anyone that I would not allow "actual gps/directions" to be posted on trail reivews so that "idiots on the internet" wouldn't be able to find them.
You see I am one of those "idiots on the internet" and I am making this site so "idiots on the internet" can find information on trails easier with out searching for hours.

Table Mesa was submitted by iNfErNaL from http://board.marlincrawler.com/
All the Florence Junction trails have been submitted by Rocksurfer from http://board.marlincrawler.com/
If someone wants to write a trail review with "actual gps/directions to the trails" on our public lands I will be happy to post it.

Happy to hear that you like the site.

Lewis
Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Slick Rock
Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 AM

So...these might be dumb questions but, anyone can post a trail? Is that right? Is there an edit or approval process before stuff gets posted? Can others add/overwrite like Wiki?

I love this idea but I can see how this could get abused. But, I see more good in this than any potential bad stuff that might come from it. You know, stuff like private land trails being posted.

Lemme know what the rules are and I'll start posting stuff for VA.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 PM

They are not dumb questions, I actually rewrote the submit trail page on the site because you asked them. Hopefully it will make it clearer for others in the future.
Yes anyone can submit a trial.
A page is created and we work on it until you are happy with how it looks then it is posted to the main menu so the public can easily find it.
Only I can edit the site. The author owns the review and only needs to request the change that he/she wants.
I will only post trails that are on private land where public access is granted. PG&E has some up in the Sierras, and some logging companys grant access around Lassen and in Oregon. As for posting Bobs field with the creek..... well those people should be forced to pull Bobs weeds. I also do not want any off trail pictures. These acts give the whole 4wd community a bad name.

Here is the link to the rewritten submit trails page http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/trails/submittrail/
Thanks for your post and I look forward to learning about trails in VA.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Hey man, Sorry its been a while..

Id like to get up to Cleghorn so I can take some pictures and write a review / report that will correspond with the pics (I want to take pride in it) so thats what the wait is about..

Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Its ok I am not in a hurry. Happy to hear that you take pride in your review.

Also you seem to take a lot of wheeling trips and I would like you to know I am very jealous. I only have 4 days of camping in so far this summer but in a 9 days I get to go for a week.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Rating system has been upgraded. http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/ratingsystem/ A explanation of why it was changed is at the bottom of the page.
I will also be adding weather, directions, and links to other reviews for each trail.
Hopefully these changes will make the site more helpful to visitors.

Last edited by whokrz; 10-20-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot e-mail from work and my internet at home is down but I have a few trail suggestions in SC.
1. Gulches ORV park in Laurens SC, it's a combination of harcore rock crawler trails to moderate trails for daily drivers. In the rain it's quite difficult for a stocker but manageable. The mapping is quite difficult as it's sometimes hard to read it and often times you'll find yourself going in the wrong direction (this is as of 2 years since I've been). Also if you have a full sized vehicle it will be tight as some of the trees are very tight and you'll have to make difficult turns. It was hard for my 4Runner in some places.

2. Now the name escapes me but its a new ORV park in Liberty SC. From what I'm told it's really difficult and part breakages are all over the trail. I have not been there so I cannot give more details.

3. A sesonally opened trail in Pickens SC called The Horsepasture. It's a very scenic trail ride for about 4.5 hours. You have to ride no faster than 15mph and be careful of other 4wheelers riding during the week. It has 2 entry points. One on hwy 178 going towards Rosman in NC. Once you see Rocky Bottom camp of the blind slow down until you cross a bridge. You will take an immediate left on the gravel road to the right. If I can figure out how to upload a "homemade map" then I can do it entirely by memory. The other entrance is a bit tricky but it's pretty boring that way.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:50 PM

To bad every trail is illegal around here
Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
I cannot e-mail from work and my internet at home is down but I have a few trail suggestions in SC.
1. Gulches ORV park in Laurens SC, it's a combination of harcore rock crawler trails to moderate trails for daily drivers. In the rain it's quite difficult for a stocker but manageable. The mapping is quite difficult as it's sometimes hard to read it and often times you'll find yourself going in the wrong direction (this is as of 2 years since I've been). Also if you have a full sized vehicle it will be tight as some of the trees are very tight and you'll have to make difficult turns. It was hard for my 4Runner in some places.

2. Now the name escapes me but its a new ORV park in Liberty SC. From what I'm told it's really difficult and part breakages are all over the trail. I have not been there so I cannot give more details.

3. A sesonally opened trail in Pickens SC called The Horsepasture. It's a very scenic trail ride for about 4.5 hours. You have to ride no faster than 15mph and be careful of other 4wheelers riding during the week. It has 2 entry points. One on hwy 178 going towards Rosman in NC. Once you see Rocky Bottom camp of the blind slow down until you cross a bridge. You will take an immediate left on the gravel road to the right. If I can figure out how to upload a "homemade map" then I can do it entirely by memory. The other entrance is a bit tricky but it's pretty boring that way.
It would be nice to have some trails from SC
Here is a link to how the process works http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/trails/submittrail/
When you get your internet going at home I would be happy to work on a review for you. You can also send me a instant message in yotatech if that works better. Also if you already have your pictures on the internet I can normally download them from there if that makes it easier for you due to your internet situation.
I have found http://maps.google.com/maps to be useful to locate trails, and any other map is also great to have.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Your site is a great resource. I really like how you have it set up.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Thank you, I am just glad that people take the time to post trials.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 AM

I decided to check it out today and I must say your site is well organized and easy to reference to! I'd contribute but haven't found any good trails in Texas yet. If I do I'll be sure to post it up on your website. I bookmarked it.