Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Death Valley March 25-29

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
In an overflow (read: dirt field) at Sunset Campground / Furnace Creek about 100 yrds. east of the Chevron station
Next time y'all believe me when I tell you to rsvp early!

Next time, I think we'd all like to do the backcountry route. The amount of driving each day gets to be unbelievable after a while. An extra 3-4 hours of "connect time" to get to trailheads each day really added up.

Bulldog and I found an AWESOME group site up Cottonwood Canyon (hopefully he has pics, my camera was dead by that point) that would be perfect for a good sized group of us. I'll wait for his pics before giving more detail on it...

on the other hand, if any of you go back, and it's NOT easter weekend, you will find lodging much easier to come by, but really, the only quality campground is furnace creek, which usually fills up if you don't have rsvp.

(or I'll just reserve the group site, and we'll have a reaaaal good time!)

Last edited by Scottiac; 03-30-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a couple more

Racetrack rock - "V marks the spot"....This was in Goler Wash. In several crevices such as this one there were rocks & boulders precariously piled, I envisioned a mild seismic event bringing them down. The pic I wish I took was further down the wash of a very large boulder wedged in another crevice only by its sides. Scottiac reminded us of the Indiana Jones movie where the similarly-shaped large boulder rolled down a narrow corridor similar to the wash, with no room to spare on either side.
Attached Thumbnails Death Valley March 25-29-roll1010.jpg   Death Valley March 25-29-roll3008.jpg  
Old 03-30-2005, 04:40 PM

I'm up for another trip when you guys are ready. This time I'm leaving the family at home and traveling light. I too want to explore the caves and mines.

Maybe I can get my lift in beforehand (although I think I would still be ok without it). There are some harder trails to explore where a lift would be necessary.

So when's a good date?

Mark
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Expat
I'm up for another trip when you guys are ready. This time I'm leaving the family at home and traveling light. I too want to explore the caves and mines.

Mark
I know it's been said, but your entire family was awesome with the ups and downs of the trip. We were all really impressed with how great your kids were through the whole thing, in spite of the bumps, the wind, the rain, and the never-ending dust!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
I used the GPS to navigate and gave you guys all the incoming traffic and tricky spots I have my Garmin GPS track log if you want. So I can look up the highest and average speeds we did.
Knowing how slow I took that route the last time I did it, I'm sure Bonnie (mom) and Molly (fiance) would be interested in those stats!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scottiac
I know it's been said, but your entire family was awesome with the ups and downs of the trip. We were all really impressed with how great your kids were through the whole thing, in spite of the bumps, the wind, the rain, and the never-ending dust!

Thanks. We jollied ourselves along with sing-a-longs, the Junior Ranger Booklet, DVD's, I spy and lots of snacks!

Still, they expressed interest in letting dad go by himself next time unless there are other kids and more play time

Andries - I'd love to get the GPS log. I have yet to download mine but I missed lots of waypoints that I'd like for future reference. You were an awesome lead driver...thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scottiac
Knowing how slow I took that route the last time I did it, I'm sure Bonnie (mom) and Molly (fiance) would be interested in those stats!
Ok here are some stats:
Tea Kettle to Ubehebe 20 miles took 40 minutes avg speed 30 MPH, that included sections were we slowed for oncoming trafic and a little for you guys Highest logged speed on GPS was 53 MPH

Sunday from Goler Wash exit to Ballarat 15 miles in 20 minutes avg speed 43MPH due to less traffic from the front and smoother road surface. Highest logged speed was 60MPH.

VSC worked really well, as it beeped twice and brought the rear in line very quickly. I tried a few times on corner to make it slide and it just beeped and brought the back in line again.

I guess for me years of driving on dirt roads on SOuth African farms makes a 4Runner feel like a luxury liner on dirt roads

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 03-30-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Expat
Thanks. We jollied ourselves along with sing-a-longs, the Junior Ranger Booklet, DVD's, I spy and lots of snacks!

Still, they expressed interest in letting dad go by himself next time unless there are other kids and more play time

Andries - I'd love to get the GPS log. I have yet to download mine but I missed lots of waypoints that I'd like for future reference. You were an awesome lead driver...thanks
Mark you guys were great!! Thanx for the comp. I haven't marked the way points on the GPS log as it is very clear on a topo map. I'll send you an email.

Next trip we need to make it a back country adventure and prep as such.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

OK here is the Goler Wash Video (18MB)

My write up, please let me know if it needs any correction.

I will post a link later tonight or tomorrow with copies of the full size pics. You guys can just download the pic you want then. It will only be up for a few weeks though so beware.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

OK Full Size pics here. It is still uploading and should be done in thenext couple of hours. I will pull this in a couple of weeks so make sure to get you fill of what you want.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

You're a funny guy Andries.
Awesome pictures
Old 04-01-2005, 07:10 AM

WOW! I love the pictures. This is the best thread ever.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Banned

awesome pictures, guys!! and i'm sorry, but i have to say this: as a woman, i love that you guys took pictures of / appreciated the flowers.

and the trucks ain't lookin' too bad either!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by r0cky
awesome pictures, guys!! and i'm sorry, but i have to say this: as a woman, i love that you guys took pictures of / appreciated the flowers.

and the trucks ain't lookin' too bad either!
Heh. With my mom and my fiance along, ya think I had any choice? My mom put up with the wheeling only so she could get a chance to shoot photos like these. Although by the end of the trip, she grudgingly admitted I just *might* know what I was doing out there. (With one exception, when both she and molly were screaming to get out of the truck before I went *any* further... )
Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Scott,
When are you going to post some pix?

R0cky,
Teresa was more interested in the flowers than anythinmg else, so we had to make some stops just for pictures of flowers. She was supposed to be the "official photographer" in my 4Runner, but after I noticed she never took pictures of the trail or 4R there was some "incouragement" from my side.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Scott,
When are you going to post some pix?
Probably not until I return to California next weekend. :cry:
Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Ok for eberybody that thought we drove fast. This is what real rally driving look like.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/up-pikes-peak-quickly-56785/
Old 04-13-2005, 07:24 PM

Ok for eberybody that thought we drove fast. This is what real rally driving look like.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56785
Holy Crap!! That was nuts! On a different note, Scottiac, are you ever going to post your pics?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:04 PM

Rock-blasted sliders

Uh...have you guys checked out the underneaths of your sliders? Mine are totally rock-blasted from the DV trip...the last pic is the top...still smooth as silk.
Attached Thumbnails Death Valley March 25-29-img_8454.jpg   Death Valley March 25-29-img_8453.jpg   Death Valley March 25-29-img_8450.jpg  

Last edited by RBLACAUSA; 04-14-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned

That's bound to happen with any slider, I'd think.

Quick Reply: Death Valley March 25-29