Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Buchanan's Mudfest - Robertsville, MO

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buchanan's Mudfest - Robertsville, MO

Mods, move this thread as appropriate. I didn't know what section to put it in.

For those of you who don't know, the MudFest is just a huge farming field about 45 minutes southwest of St. Louis, MO, with randomly placed mudpits, trails, rock crawls, and car crushes. Once or twice a year, the landowner puts on this event. Its a $15 admission, and you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Totally uncontrolled.
Totally barbaric.
Totally awesome.

I didn't bother taking any pics of the fields full of trucks, but I'll tell you that this was a gathering like nothing I have ever seen before. If the terrorists blew up the Anhueser Busch factory, this would be the army that retaliates.

The "thing" to do was to ride in the bed of a truck that goes through the mudpit.

I got there and immediately hit a couple mud pits. Very fun. I got stuck in a few of them, but always managed to get myself out without getting towed out.

This truck had tractor wheels & tires on it. The tires were an easy 4-5 feet tall, and in trying to get out he dug himself in all the way up to the body of his truck. So you do have to be careful. You can't get too cocky in this mess.

Some kind of Chevy frame with a Caprice cop body on it.

At this point, I decided to hit a trail. BAD IDEA.

The trail entrance looked tame, but once you got beyond the point of no return, a truck like mine (with A/T tires) regrets going in.

I get through 90% of it without too much of an issue, and I'm powering through the sloshy mud, until I notice a big hole in front of me. Its about 3 feet wide, and about 4 feet deep, and its right in front of my right tire, so I have to stop.

I can't get around it. The grooves in the mud are keeping me in track to fall right in it. I find a guy who's nice enough to try to tow me around it, but the attempt fails, and it sucks me into its vortex.

Notice the legs of two guys standing to the right of my truck, to give you some perspective of the hole.

My front right tire is about 2 feet off the ground, my truck feels like if I lean too hard, it'll just fall over on the driver's side.

The guy I'm strapped to (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...89/index3.html) keeps pulling, he and I together power out of the hole.

Went through a couple more mudpits for good measure, and I headed home.

Last edited by Reverend; 09-16-2008 at 08:57 AM.