The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

3rd Gen Rear Bumper Plans w/ Pic!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Rear Bumper Plans w/ Pic!

Ok, here's one view of how I'm going to be making my rear bumper. The plan is going to be pretty simple. If everything goes as planned, I'll be making these eventually, but no one get your hopes up yet, not that you would anyway. My goal is to be able to make it under $500, so a lot more people can afford to get one. This picture isn't proportional on the width of it, but most everything else is pretty close. It's going to be a very simple, hopefully not to labor intensive bumper. We'll see how it turns out. This drawing is enough for me to start working on it, but if anyone has any questions, please let me know. Here's a pic:

This bumper will have the highest possible rear departure angle using only a 2" high cross bar, with the lowest point being the hitch tube. This will help to minimize the rubbing to one spot and keep from having to constantly touch up the rear bumper. Not that it won'r hit on the ends, but not as much, since the hitch will be only slightly lower than the rest of it. It's going to have two locations for shackles and I'll be using stainless steel shackle from Off-road Only! No rust! Let me know what you think!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

I think you'll have a hard time seeing out the rear window. Pick a side and move the tire over.

What about the license plate? Web Wheeler?

You need to drive out here so I can meet you. The guy that stirs me up more that 44Runnner and Adam Fertig combined. I need to meet in the flesh !!!

Then we'll go wheeling and I'll slaugher you.

Old 09-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

For the shakle hangers you will need 1" x 2" solid stock. For the Warn shackles to fit.

Dam it's hard to type drunk.

Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 PM

Well, I don't want to off center it because of weight distribution. I may even make it even simpler by getting a rack mount or making one for the top of the vehicle instead, although that hurts the COG a tad. I haven't fully decided and actually a lof the ideas came your bumper and few others.

I'm going wheeling tomorrow, talker! What are you doing? Where you at?

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:16 PM

I'm not going to be using the warn shackles. You must really be drunk or didn't read a thing I wrote did ya?

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Re: 3rd Gen Rear Bumper Plans w/ Pic!

Originally posted by ravencr
This bumper will have the highest possible rear departure angle
So far I have the highest bumper. Why not leave the stuff on the botton off and go with a 3" tube?

You know a reciver is 2.5" how the hell you gonna fit that in a 2" tube?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:17 PM

The license plate will be mounted on the right sid of the picture on the downward sloping tube with a custom flat bracket. Can't you see it, drunk man?

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going wheeling tomorrow, talker! What are you doing? Where you at?
I'm wheeling Upper Woodpecker. 4/5 and sure death for you.

Old 09-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

He may be drunk, but he can make a point.

You put a 33" tire in the middle and it really eats up the rear window. Personally, whenever the day comes that I can afford one, I'll look for an offset mount.

What's your poison tonight Steve?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:20 PM

If you notice in the picture it doesn't completely fit in the 2" tube. It's not going to be 2" square tubing. You're getting afraid I'm going to have the highest clearance now aren't you? I see what the deal is. At aqny rate, I'm going to be either using 2"x4" or 2"x5" depending on how it lays out for the cross tube. The hitch will fit directly under the inside top portion of that tube with the bottom portion of the hitch tube hanging down, just like it is in the picture!

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:22 PM

Well good! Let's compare pics and video tomorrow! I'm not going to say I can hang with you, but I love to do it's not a competition, but when the day comes that we get together, I'll definitely make fun of you all I can. As far as the offset, my position stands. I would rather have it on the roof anyway, which the more I think about it, it makes fora lot easier fab of the bumper and lighter too.

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

My 3" tube is solid, uncut and it's done. What ever you come up with, Good for you. Mines done and not going to change. I personally thought it would be better to NOT cut the tube in the middle. Knock yourself out thought and cut that puppie.

Gordon Biersch: Blond Bock and Martzen.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Well good! Let's compare pics and video tomorrow! I'm not going to say I can hang with you, but I love to do it's not a competition, but when the day comes that we get together, I'll definitely cry like a little baby as you spank me silly and winch me over all the big bad nasty rocks.
Cool man. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:29 PM

I agree somewhat with you on cutting the tube, and I after thinking about it and seeing that there will actually be more metal in the center, I don't think it will be. I actually think it could be stronger, but definitely not weaker.

Steve, honestly you've given me a lot of inspiration. You know it's all in fun and games....until we meet on the trail!

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I would rather have it on the roof anyway,

In all serious ness you don't want to do that, it makes the truck way more tippy. I had an awsome roof rack with all kinds of stuff on it.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

too tippy. Seroiulsy keep the weight off the roof. Try it. You'll see.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 09-12-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:31 PM

Well good! Let's compare pics and video tomorrow! I'm not going to say I can hang with you, but I love to do it's not a competition, but when the day comes that we get together, I'll definitely make fun of you all I can. As far as the offset, my position stands. I would rather have it on the roof anyway, which the more I think about it, it makes fora lot easier fab of the bumper and lighter too.

Chris
For some reason, it was a tad different then I originally typed. That may happen, but you're going to have to have your wife guiding me when I'm pulling over them so we both don't get hung up!

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:33 PM

I thought it probably would be. What I'm probably going to do is keep the rear tire in the normal spot, then when wheeling, make a nice bracket to keep it secure in the cargo area, unless that area is full, but very rarely would that happen. Who know yet?

chris
Old 09-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Steve, honestly you've given me a lot of inspiration. You know it's all in fun and games....until we meet on the trail and you spank me like nd inbred realtive.
Well, you'll need to head out to the All Pro Jambo in the psring of 2004 or I guess were all meting up in Moab next year all very worthy events.

We could always have the "Spank Chris Silly Jambo" in AZ this spring as well. You name it Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California I'll be there, just make sure you don't pick a "family fun park".

Got Vacation ???
Old 09-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

I thought it probably would be. What I'm probably going to do is keep the rear tire in the normal spot, then when wheeling, make a nice bracket to keep it secure in the cargo area, unless that area is full, but very rarely would that happen. Who know yet?

chris
I had it in the cargo area for quite some time. Nevitt still has it there.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Chris, Can you take some measurements when you have freel time and scribe in the back window to that pic you have? I'm curious to see how much of the window would be left. Is that tire in the diagram scaled to any particular size?

Steve: Try some Shiner Bock next time.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Rear Bumper Plans w/ Pic!