Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Windows Media Player 9 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fixed! I remembered the symptom started around the time I rigged my old blown CRT monitor to the secondary video card output. I bought a DVI/Analog converter plug off eBay to make the connection. The monitor still didn't work, but I never removed the secondary plug. I just pulled it, and it works now.

At least I think that's what happened unless it was a coincidence because I also uninstalled IrfanView at the same time. I had checked IrfanView to be sure it hadn't made itself the default video player (or it's plugin).

Thanks for the troubleshooting help everyone, and sorry to get you and your staff needlessly excited, Mark.

So, should I avoid Quicktime? If so, why? Also, when I added the extra codec package, does the computer automatically send those already installed to Recycle? Should I delete the DivX codecs, or are they harmless, or necessary? TIA...
Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OH MAN! HAHAHHAHAH!!! The plug must have fooled the garphics card into thinking that it was hot, and XP was routing video over there. NICE!

"Staff" wise... nah, not my staff, I'm just a member of the team.

The nasty thoughts of Quicktime came about because there are issues where Quicktime can be REALLY vigilant about wanting to be the default video player for a lot of media types - including those that WMP has handled since the dawn of time. They CAN co-exist together, but you have to be careful about what you let Quicktime have during install. by default, it grabs most of the stuff that WMP is better at (MPG, WMV, AVI are the top of that list).

DivX wise, nah, leave 'em there. You'll probably trip over something at some point that will need 'em so you already have 'em.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BT17R
I mistakenly posted this in the other Off Topic forum, which should give you an idea about why I'm having computer troubles:

Suddenly Media Player won't run any streaming video at all. From troubleshooting tips on the web, including the MS site, it appears I have a corrupted .wmv codec, maybe other stuff going on too. The steps I've tried, including a system restore, had no effect.

I've done all the virus scans (Housecall and NAV), Adaware, Spybot, re-associated file types, sfc, system restore, and I've forgotten what else. Today I tried additional "fixes" posted on the web, and Corey's idea to reinstall DivX and MS codecs but none worked. I can't find any way to R&R MP9. I'm almost at the point of calling Bangalore, but have received far better advice from techies here. Any ideas? TIA.
start button -->programs-->windows update
I don't care how "new" your system is. go here the first day u get it. My MP stopped working about 2 months ago. reinstalled it and put in the patches and it was fine.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you figured it out.
Yep, that DVI plug comes in very handy to do this.

Dual 19" monitors.

I have QuickTIme installed, and when you install it, just make sure it only is setup to play .mov extensions.
Let Windows MP handle all the rest.

QT is very agressive as Mark said.