Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Windows Media Player 9 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windows Media Player 9 help needed

I mistakenly posted this in the other Off Topic forum, which should give you an idea about why I'm having computer troubles:

Suddenly Media Player won't run any streaming video at all. From troubleshooting tips on the web, including the MS site, it appears I have a corrupted .wmv codec, maybe other stuff going on too. The steps I've tried, including a system restore, had no effect.

I've done all the virus scans (Housecall and NAV), Adaware, Spybot, re-associated file types, sfc, system restore, and I've forgotten what else. Today I tried additional "fixes" posted on the web, and Corey's idea to reinstall DivX and MS codecs but none worked. I can't find any way to R&R MP9. I'm almost at the point of calling Bangalore, but have received far better advice from techies here. Any ideas? TIA.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:32 AM
WT

Originally Posted by BT17R
I mistakenly posted this in the other Off Topic forum, which should give you an idea about why I'm having computer troubles:

Suddenly Media Player won't run any streaming video at all. From troubleshooting tips on the web, including the MS site, it appears I have a corrupted .wmv codec, maybe other stuff going on too. The steps I've tried, including a system restore, had no effect.

I've done all the virus scans (Housecall and NAV), Adaware, Spybot, re-associated file types, sfc, system restore, and I've forgotten what else. Today I tried additional "fixes" posted on the web, and Corey's idea to reinstall DivX and MS codecs but none worked. I can't find any way to R&R MP9. I'm almost at the point of calling Bangalore, but have received far better advice from techies here. Any ideas? TIA.
Have you thought about do a inplace XP repair ? but I'm not sure if you have a homebuild PC with XP or not but it usually cures alot of wierd IE and XP stuff since it takes everything back to orginal files (you will have to re-patch everything), you may even want to do a CHKDSK /f to see if it will fix and move any files that maybe on bad sectors of the HD.
Oh are you getting any type of error message ?
Also have you simply tried re-installing Media Player from the Microsoft site and let it over right any files with problems.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...es/player.aspx

Last edited by WT; 07-21-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks WT. It's a newer Dell box. CHKDSK didn't do anything, no error messages either. I'll try re-installing MP next. How would I go about an in-place XP Pro repair? I'll let you know how the MP overwrite goes.

Last edited by BT17R; 07-21-2004 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

The MP re-install didn't help.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:19 AM
WT

The MP re-install didn't help.
Guess a in place repair maybe different with a Dell since I am not sure how they ship there media, is it just retore CD's or do they actually provide a XP full install CD. You will need the full install CD to perform the repair function, but be for warned its possible to really hose things up too, I say back up anything important first just in case, I have done this several times with nothing lost at all but there is always a first.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315341
Other option is if Dell supplied a set of retore CD it will get you back to the day you got the PC and maybe a option depending on how annoyed you are with the problem. THIS WILL LOSS ALL DATA just a warning too
Just ideas .. so are you not getting any error messages when you try to stream something and is it just audio(radio) or video too ??
Good Luck .....
Old 07-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Dell supplied a full set of software to return it to Day 1. No error messages, I get audio fine, no video at all. This happened just as I was about to install my new DVD burner, so I'd like to get it straightened out before installing Nero that I'm thinking could need WMP for playback.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a computer guy at all but I had the same problem! I had to I had to delete the program (from the start- contol panel) then go this web site http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en and look up your info for there.

It will wipe out all your vid's that you have!!!!!
Give it a try?!?!?!

Last edited by NX Tacoma; 07-21-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks NX, but WMP 9 isn't even listed in the Add/Remove part of Control Panel. From what I've read on different sites, it isn't possible to delete it, but is doable for earlier versions.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks NX, but WMP 9 isn't even listed in the Add/Remove part of Control Panel. From what I've read on different sites, it isn't possible to delete it, but is doable for earlier versions.
Ok try under All Programs, then you will see Windows Media Player....right click to delete. If you want after that you could go to here http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp and update you PC!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NX Tacoma
Ok try under All Programs, then you will see Windows Media Player....right click to delete.
Please don't do this - it won't uninstall the player, only delete the shortcut to the app.

Try this...
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Pick "Add or Remove Programs"
  • In the left frame, pick "Add or Remove Windows Components"
  • Scroll down the list, and UNCHECK "Windows Media Player"
  • Click NEXT
  • WMP should be Gone
  • Reboot the system
  • Head Here and re-install Media Player 9
  • That SHOULD help.

I doubt that you corrupted the codec, it sounds like something got installed that took the responsibility of video playback.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, Mark. I did what you listed, first running Chkdsk and Defrag before re-install. No change in the symptom. I didn't install anything I'm aware of prior to the hiccup. Hmm...
Old 07-21-2004, 01:24 PM

Dang... this is "fun"...

Can you pass along a link to a video that you can't view?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

I know what you mean. This is the first problem I've had with this computer since new about a year ago.

Here's a typical clip from MS WMP movie trailers.

Direct from MS site

Clicking on "Watch the trailer" gets audio only.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:16 PM

Okay, so it's just a 1-pass CBR video at 35Kbps done with the Media 9 codec. That should even play on my phone!

Can I ask you to try a couple of other things? Do any of these work? (they're all "safe for work", it's just misc stuff that I have on my server that use different codecs):

http://www.midiwall.com/misc/GasPump.avi
(video, no audio. OLD codec)

http://www.midiwall.com/misc/TysonSkating.wmv
(16Kbps, 1-pass CBR Media 7 codec)

http://www.midiwall.com/misc/HSNKnives.mpeg
(MPEG codec)

(fingers crossed...)
Old 07-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

No video on any links, audio only on 2(.wmv) & 3(.mpeg).
Old 07-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You know what might be another problem, some vids require you to use codecs from this site.
http://www.divx.com/divx/

If you get the codecs, go for the free ones, but not the "add supported" 0nes.

http://www.divx.com/divx/download/

Also do not install their player.
You won't need it since you have MS Media Player 9.

Also have you kept up on updating your vid drivers?
Vid drivers get updated quite often.

ATI who makes my vid card releases new drivers about once a month it seems.

Since you have a Dell, when you go to the Windows update site and brose to the new drivers, it should give you Dell video drivers since MS will reconize you have a Dell.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Corey, yeah I d/l'd all the DivX codecs. No change. I visit Windows Update daily for Critical Updates and look at driver updates. Nothing there for Dell or on the Dell download site. I uninstalled Quicktime tonight, but no change there either. Still searching, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
You know what might be another problem, some vids require you to use codecs from this site.
Yeup... that was part of the test media I asked him to run. None of those clips used DivX, and the MS trailing "most certainly" doesn't.

I uninstalled Quicktime tonight, but no change there either.
WOAH! Shame on me for not asking leading questions like "do you have Quicktime installed". Quicktime can have "fun" with the codecs, but I can't explain how it suddenly started happening... Something must have changed, but there's no telling just what it may have been.

With Quicktime now uninstalled, reboot, uninstall media player, reboot again, and install media player.

Let's see if that shakes things up... If it doesn't seem to help, then try this download:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...es/codecs.aspx

That'll pull JUST the latest codecs and force them in.

I've asking folks around work as well, (I work VERY closely to the product that you're having trouble with ) and we're all kinda' voting against Quicktime right now. (biases aside )
Old 07-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Mark, I did everything you listed in order, plus ran chkdsk and defrag before WMP 9 reinstall, and also uninstalled Firefox. I tested with the MS link I gave...no change, no video, just audio.

I'll try anything else you suggest (short of re-format!). I need to get this straightened out before installing my new DVD burner.

I'll be out this afternoon getting a house ready to sell, and all day Friday through Sunday running an open house (in 100° heat). I'll check back evenings for more tips and tricks. Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:00 PM

WOW... This SUCKS!

Ummm, okay... lemme kick this out to a broader audience here and I'll see what I can shake loose.

(Good luck with the house!)

Quick Reply: Windows Media Player 9 help needed