Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Buying new desktop computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird.. synaptics are great pads.. accurate and feature abundant, guess i need to take a closer look at the latest models.

*edit*

yup, 700m, 6000, 9200, d800, d600... the alps are everywhere.. what a pity

Last edited by green91runner; 02-11-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner
weird.. synaptics are great pads.. accurate and feature abundant, guess i need to take a closer look at the latest models.
Exactly! Why do think I miss it so much? I used to be a touchpad whore. Now I try to avoid touching the frikin' thing. It makes me sad.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:46 PM

wow this could start getting ugly if your going here
People that defend Mac are simply trying to justify to themselves the reasson for paying more money for an inferior product.
I've had one mac and it was crap. Took 4-5 min to boot and was buggy as hell when it did.We put linux on it and it finally worked OK but it's still a POS, we let the 3 yr old use it since we don't give a rip if he destroys it.
My brother ended up getting a G4 becuase thecolleges require it. What a joke
I'm glad I didn't get it. He almost had me on it too. What a peice. The only thing I like is the monitor. That is a cool monitor. The system is worthless though. SOftware and hardware are nearly double the price, with all and or more bugs than the PC versions with longer wait times for the patches. no performace gains and little room to mod. Sorry the video is not superior dude. Esesially since the few programs and tools MAC did have that WAS better has been put on PC's.
Most people that say PC's are crap simply don't know how to use them. At first I though linux was crap until I learned how to use it. Windows XP is a POS when it first loaded even after it's updated. Since I've figured out how to mod it and configure it nothing touches XP.
Originally Posted by Poopshute
Eh.... what planet are you living on? Mac's are still better for graphics and nothing comes close to a Mac when it comes to video editing. Also... 2-button mice work just like they do on a PC when you use it on a Mac. Sorry.... gotta put my 2 cents in. Mac's are simply better machines in all categories except MAYBE gaming. You can't go wrong with something that's Unix based.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 PM

For desktop, if not Dell, what then?

I may go and pick-up a HP tomorrow and be done with it.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

As far as desktops go, Dell and HP are both good, but if your getting a warranty I think Dell is the way to go.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:46 PM

I just customized my own and it came out to $2,335

My life's savings.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by redfox435cat
wow this could start getting ugly if your going here
People that defend Mac are simply trying to justify to themselves the reasson for paying more money for an inferior product.
I've had one mac and it was crap. Took 4-5 min to boot and was buggy as hell when it did.We put linux on it and it finally worked OK but it's still a POS, we let the 3 yr old use it since we don't give a rip if he destroys it.
My brother ended up getting a G4 becuase thecolleges require it. What a joke
I'm glad I didn't get it. He almost had me on it too. What a peice. The only thing I like is the monitor. That is a cool monitor. The system is worthless though. SOftware and hardware are nearly double the price, with all and or more bugs than the PC versions with longer wait times for the patches. no performace gains and little room to mod. Sorry the video is not superior dude. Esesially since the few programs and tools MAC did have that WAS better has been put on PC's.
Most people that say PC's are crap simply don't know how to use them. At first I though linux was crap until I learned how to use it. Windows XP is a POS when it first loaded even after it's updated. Since I've figured out how to mod it and configure it nothing touches XP.
Buggy? How long ago did you use a Mac? If you're using a PC now that requires updates virtually every day a Mac with OSX on it does not define it as buggy. If you're referring to a Mac with OS 9 then I'll give you the buggy deal. Most people are just listening to the stupid hypocrisy that Mac's are inferior. I use AT LEAST 4 different Mac's per day and between those alone I've never seen something that's "buggy". Also... you have obviously not used iMovie or any of the Final Cut apps. You'd understand how awesome video editing is on a Mac machine.

By the way... you shouldn't have to "mod" an OS. Mod your truck but a quality OS should work the way it's supposed to out of the box. That's been my experience with the Mac and OS X hence why I ditched PC's a while ago.

To wrap this all up... the Mac vs. PC argument is just the way it goes. It's like the democrat vs. republican arguments. Each side will argue till the death that they are right while in truth... I just farted.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:39 AM

Excuse me folks but this is a thread concerning which computer I am going to buy and not a MAC vs PC thread.

If you all are in the need to discuss this, please head out and start its own seperate thread. That would be highly appreciated.

This is not pocket change I will spending and I need to arrive to a complete conclusion on what to buy here and all this MAC vs PC sure isn't helping. I am and will not consider MAC as a point of option here. I am getting a PC and that is the end of it.

If some one has AIM or MSN, I will like some step by step help customizing this thing. please PM me.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:46 PM

Your right there on the MAC PC THing. I like the Democrate/rebulican anology. I think it fits. The window OS work great as it first installed. By modding I meant undoing some of the thing aplications do when installed, ie stop them from loading when the system is booted. But it doesn't matter

One, this is an open forum, all ideas will be explored, if you don't like the answer get off the site.

Two) HP's are renowned as the worst POS of all times, I'd rather use a MAC in this casethe exception being their printers. They get the cheapest CPU they can find and overclock them. put alot of the cheapest RAM they can muster on the most generic Mobo they can find then sell it retail..On top of it just try to find BIOS updates or any support. Commercial product testing run along the same lines as new autotesting. Results are based on the first couple months of use,and are based on how they feel about not how they work, even e-machines work well. But if your looking to spend anything over 1500 bucks stay clear of the HP, and sure as hell stay away form retail stores. Every HP my famly has owned, I tried to tell them is in the garbage, one of them acually lasted over 18 months, every Dell We've ever gotten, over 15 now even the old ones are still usable and running strong. Of course the rest are home builds and there is just no comparision. Home builds are always performace powerhouses. If your not gonna build. Get a DEll or a Gateway. If you want a full on powerhouse. Get a pre build ASUS system
or alienware. alienware pc's are the best machine I've had the privilege to use as far as prebuilt systems go. and their service is top notch

alienware

Originally Posted by KING
Excuse me folks but this is a thread concerning which computer I am going to buy and not a MAC vs PC thread.

If you all are in the need to discuss this, please head out and start its own seperate thread. That would be highly appreciated.

This is not pocket change I will spending and I need to arrive to a complete conclusion on what to buy here and all this MAC vs PC sure isn't helping. I am and will not consider MAC as a point of option here. I am getting a PC and that is the end of it.

If some one has AIM or MSN, I will like some step by step help customizing this thing. please PM me.

Last edited by redfox435cat; 02-13-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

dell for the desktop, they are great machines. I have a dimension 8250 right now, only problem Ive had is the processor fan died right after I got it, and yes tech support does suck. After i got the fan fixed, no problems at all (all other problems are with microsoft win xp) If you get a dell, the first thing you have to do is open up the case, they really make it neat inside, all the cables are tied up, and they have easy to upgrade cd drive bays. Go with dell if your going with a pc! good luck!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by KING
I just customized my own and it came out to $2,335

My life's savings.

Look at a lower model, or drop a spec here and there.. small increments in CPU's = Large increments in price..

Here is a configuration on dell's site.. a 4700, for under $1500, and free shipping. Has a 17" LCD, DVD burner, 3.0Ghz, 1GB DDR2, and 160GB HDD with a firewire card. in short.. covering everything you need.

Click here if the picture below won't load...

Going up to the 3.2 or the 3.4 is a huge price jump for meager performance gains, same applies to pretty much every other upgrade in the system.. thats why i configured it the way i did.

Last edited by green91runner; 02-13-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by green91runner
Look at a lower model, or drop a spec here and there.. small increments in CPU's = Large increments in price..

Here is a configuration on dell's site.. a 4700, for under $1500, and free shipping. Has a 17" LCD, DVD burner, 3.0Ghz, 1GB DDR2, and 160GB HDD with a firewire card. in short.. covering everything you need.

Going up to the 3.2 or the 3.4 is a huge price jump for meager performance gains, same applies to pretty much every other upgrade in the system.. thats why i configured it the way i did.
I agree. $2300 is a LOT to spend for what you want to do. If you get the newest technology of everything they offer, that'll jack the price up a lot. And you won't be paying for a huge performance increase either, just for being able to have the newest thing out there. I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between having a 2.8GHz processor over a 3.4. PM me if you want me to help you customize it and I'll help when I can. See if you can go on Dell's site and save a customization list.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

I think everyone will agree on HP... big nono...

The only company worse is compaq, oh wait! They are the same company! :pat:
Old 02-14-2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
I think everyone will agree on HP... big nono...

The only company worse is compaq, oh wait! They are the same company! :pat:
haha, AGREED! I had a Pavillion that sucked the big one
Old 02-14-2005, 09:13 AM

no comment on desktops (always owned laptops) but there is a great web resource at cnet.com. they have ratings on computers and give lowdown on cheap systems that are also reliable. Anyone have any experience with e-machines? this site seems to think that for the $$, speed and reliability (and for what you have described you might need, especially if you are not a gamer) there are a few models that might work for you. search "budget desktop" on the site and it will pull up some nice stuff. or build.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

just got me a dell server sc420, gona put suse linux enterprise server on it... dells are awsome!! excellent reliability.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

I will say that I have not heard one bad thing about E-Machines. Only good! A buddy of mine has a couple at his shop and he has never had a problem with them.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turboale
I will say that I have not heard one bad thing about E-Machines. Only good! A buddy of mine has a couple at his shop and he has never had a problem with them.

Unless they changed drastically within the past year or so, I've heard the complete opposite.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Churnd

Unless they changed drastically within the past year or so, I've heard the complete opposite.
hahah I will totally agree with you on that one!!.....A guy I used to work with bought one for his family. He was an order guy, and didnt have a ton of cash. So he bought an E-Machine, and couldnt get it too work right, I went over to his house to see what he was doing wrong....but he wasnt doing anything wrong, the thing was a POS. So he took it back to best buy and got another, same model, worked a little better, but it still crashed constantly. I couldnt believe it, so I reinstalled WinME (I know its not the greatest but it was what it came with)....And it would crash with nothing but winme on it....So he returned that one, this time he dished out a couple extra bucks and got an HP....He never had any problem with computers again. Not saying HP is my brand of choice because it certainly isnt, but you know you make a piece o crap computer when HP looks like a god send....
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM

new computer

Check out tiger direct.com .They have some good deals. Shop for the features that you are looking for. They have links that give consumer ratings and a lot of other useful info. I have delt with them often and have never had a problem.