Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Anyone need Mac help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone need Mac help?

I'm new to the board and I'm completely stoked about it. I've found answers to my questions I've been surfing the net for years. Anyways, just wanted to let any Mac user out there know that I work with Macs for a living and if anyone needs help with software or hardware issues to just send me an e-mail. slanaconda@gmail.com. Look forward to chatting with ya'll!
Old 02-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

I thought about getting a powerbook for my next computer. Have used them before, no doubt great computers, just wish they came with a docking station, and I dont want to buy photoshop again. Right now is either dell or apple.

Last edited by dibble9012; 02-04-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha mac questions right here also as you can tell from my alias im a mac user as well
Old 02-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

hey, is it really true that on osx, all you have to do to install or delete a program is to remove it from the apps folder? Thats awesome compared to windows messy uninstalls. The one time I used a mac, and I downloaded a program, it came in a DMG file, i think, and it mounted as a "virtual Drive", why does it do this? Also, what are some equivalent mac programs to winiso, zone alarm, image resizer powertoy, and alcohol 120% (virtual cd drive). Has anyone used mactheripper, its a dvd ripping tool, right now I use dvd decryptor, I do not use it for illegal use, lol. How about a desktop based calender, like rainlender? Thanks for any help, I'm not getting the computer that soon in the future, I just want to make sure I can get equivalent programs on a mac. It was a great experience the last time I used a mac, and that says something when it was a g3 or something like that with the upgraded osx.Anyone find it annoying that they don't have a docking station for the powerbook? Last thing I have to look at is the computer requirements, if any, for the community college I'm going to. I know this was a long post, hahaha, but thanks for your help.

Last edited by dibble9012; 02-05-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:57 PM

Wow.... so many questions...

Originally Posted by dibble9012
hey, is it really true that on osx, all you have to do to install or delete a program is to remove it from the apps folder? Thats awesome compared to windows messy uninstalls. The one time I used a mac, and I downloaded a program, it came in a DMG file, i think, and it mounted as a "virtual Drive", why does it do this? Also, what are some equivalent mac programs to winiso, zone alarm, image resizer powertoy, and alcohol 120% (virtual cd drive). Has anyone used mactheripper, its a dvd ripping tool, right now I use dvd decryptor, I do not use it for illegal use, lol. How about a desktop based calender, like rainlender? Thanks for any help, I'm not getting the computer that soon in the future, I just want to make sure I can get equivalent programs on a mac.Anyone find it annoying that they don't have a docking station for the powerbook?.
... and so many answers. Let's start with your first question. That "virtual drive" is the opened image. PIcture if you made an ISO on your PC and opened it. Basically it acts as another drive and shows you everything that is contained in the image. It allows you to edit if the image is a read/write image. It's pretty basic function that Macs use. REALLY helpful when you do lab admin stuff like I do.

Your next question... winiso, zone alarm, image resizer powertoy... not familiar with these too much but let me tell you what apps do what I think you want to do with the one's you mentioned. OS X comes standard with an awesome utility called "Disk Utility". You can create images (ISO in pc terms) of all sorts. You can burn an image right to disc, check/repair/clean your drives. It's simply the perfect tool that will do pretty much any disk/image thing you want.

I use mactheripper and DVD2ONE... not for illegal purposes either. Those two combined are simply the best DVD ripping tools I've ever used. I wouldn't recommend anything else (you do have to pay for DVD2ONE but it's cheap. It basically will compress whatever you rip to 4.4 gigs so it will fit on a standard single layered DVD).

Calendar? I'll say one word. iCal. Comes STANDARD on OS X. Basically anything you can do on a windows machine you can do on a Mac. There are a few apps out there for specific functions that people code only for Mac but I guess in turn Mac programmers do the same.

Docking station: I guess it's annoying but I have a Powerbook, iBook, a Dual G4 (personal), and my workstation at work so I don't do much with docking stations. All the hookups are EXTREMELY easy to hook up so it's not that big of a deal. Also, I've noticed on the campus I work at that PC users get scared of the single button mouse that comes with Apple. Just be aware that two button mice work just like PC's on a Mac. I have two button mice on all my 'puters. Hey, I was once an avid PC user and now I've come to the decision that I won't even help someone with PC problems. Maintaining a computer shouldn't consist of downloading update after update every day and installing countless virus programs monthly. Also, drivers? Huh... Macs have most every driver pre-installed. I've had to download around 4 total drivers in the last 3 years I've owned my Mac. Also, if you do any digital media stuff like video, digital pictures, or music... you can't beat a Mac. Hey... with OS X and Apple getting more popular... the games coming out for Mac are more and more numerous. Hope this helped somewhat.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

email sent!

Nice to see another mac user!
Old 02-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Wallstreet-Titanium-iPAQ wireless network

I've got a Titanium 667 w/Airport, an iPAQ 3675 w/Linksys WPC11, and a Wallstreet 266 w/a Lucent Silver that I would love to network together. My Graphite died again (6th time and I don't want to replace the caps again) so I'm using a Snow now. The Ti and iPAQ work fine (using PocketMac) but I can't seem to find drivers to make the Wallstreet work (I know it wasn't designed for wifi. What were they thinking) but it should be possible right? The 266 has 1g memory a 30g HD and is running Jaguar (also not designed for all three). any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:44 PM

I don't have any questions right now, but I did want to chime in and say that Mac's rock. I am a graphic designer and just recently made the switch to a PowerMac G5 2.0 processor running OSX with a 23" HD display and I have never had it so good. All those windows users can bitch all they want. . . I'll just sit back and love the fact that my computer NEVER crashes and NEVER has any issues. That's fine though, all those Widows users can just continue to have their love/hate relationship with their computers while we just have a Love relationship with ours. RIGHT!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dublin
I've got a Titanium 667 w/Airport, an iPAQ 3675 w/Linksys WPC11, and a Wallstreet 266 w/a Lucent Silver that I would love to network together. My Graphite died again (6th time and I don't want to replace the caps again) so I'm using a Snow now. The Ti and iPAQ work fine (using PocketMac) but I can't seem to find drivers to make the Wallstreet work (I know it wasn't designed for wifi. What were they thinking) but it should be possible right? The 266 has 1g memory a 30g HD and is running Jaguar (also not designed for all three). any suggestions would be appreciated.
How do you want to network these? When you say snow are you talking about the snow AirPort? You shouldn't really need any drivers for the Wallstreet if it's running at least Jag. Can you explain a lil more? Also, any way you can get Panther on your machines? LMK.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

I'm running Panther on my Ti, and have tried it on the Wallstreet but it tends to lockup frequently so I opted for Jaguar and haven't had any problems. I've been told by numerous people that the Wallstreet is incapable of running OS X (wrong), but maybe I should reinstall OS 9.1 more than a few have had luck with that os and networking. I'm just looking to share files which are limited to burning cd's, floppys or using a p2p program (limewire). And yes an Airport snow.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Does osx read iso images made on a windows machine? mactheripper only rips/decrypts dvds to your hard drive (iso/mds files, or what other type of file) and doesnt burn them right? Any programs I can use that will burn them to double layer, keeping the original layer break? Also does ical stay on the desktop all the time? I like rainlender because even when I press the show desktop button, it stays in view, is this the same in ical when using expose? Any good virus scan? I just want to be safe. How easy is it to reformat a mac and reinstall the os? Can i format lets say a keychain drive or external hard drive in ntfs, or does the operating system only read ntfs? Do cds burned in osx read in windows? Can I get photoshop somewhere cheap, or possibly get it off of someone here? I really dont want to purchase it again. Sorry for such a long post with a lot of random questions, but I am seriously considering switching to a mac soon (and getting one of those nice 60gb ipod photos), every time i use one its a pleasure.

Last edited by dibble9012; 03-05-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Does osx read iso images made on a windows machine? mactheripper only rips/decrypts dvds to your hard drive (iso/mds files, or what other type of file) and doesnt burn them right? Any programs I can use that will burn them to double layer, keeping the original layer break? Also does ical stay on the desktop all the time? I like rainlender because even when I press the show desktop button, it stays in view, is this the same in ical when using expose? Any good virus scan? I just want to be safe. How easy is it to reformat a mac and reinstall the os? Can i format lets say a keychain drive or external hard drive in ntfs, or does the operating system only read ntfs? Do cds burned in osx read in windows? Can I get photoshop somewhere cheap, or possibly get it off of someone here? I really dont want to purchase it again. Sorry for such a long post with a lot of random questions, but I am seriously considering switching to a mac soon (and getting one of those nice 60gb ipod photos), every time i use one its a pleasure.
OSX unfortunately does not read ISO images. It will read .img and .dmg files to name a few. MacTheRipper will decrypt and copy to your HD only. Use Toast 6 Titanium or higher to burn onto a DVD. You may need to use DVD2ONE to compress the VIDEO_TS folder if it's larger than 4.4gigs. Not sure if the latest Toast will burn to DL but I'm pretty sure it will. iCal will run all the time on your Desktop if you wish (you just add iCal to the startup applications). Virus scan? it's a Mac... what's a virus? If you want to be safe there are a few proggy's out there but I don't see the point (I manage 100 macs at the University of Colorado and none of them have virus protection). Burnt CD's on a Mac are Windows/Mac cross platform. I made a back up copy of some Microsoft Windows software on a Mac and it worked just fine on a Windows machine. I'd prolly check ebay for a cheap copy. I'd recommend PS 7 at least. Everything except the ISO deal will be cross-platform. Anything document or zip file you can read on a window's box you can read on a Mac box. I switched from being an avid Windows user but once I tried the Mac with OSX I never wanted to go back to the PC. There it is!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

I would just feel safer with virus scan and spyware removal, if not for me, for the people I send files to that use windows. When using MTR, does it create a file that records where the layer break is? What type of file does it rip to, img? What do I need to read iso files? I have a bunch of them. You said the mac will read zip files natively, how about rar files?, txt files, and bmp files? I read a list on the apple website on what picture files it reads,and it did not include bmp files, didnt say it doesnt read them though.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

anyone know a some sites that give you keyboard shortcuts, os commands/shortcuts? Im used to windows, ctrl-alt-delete, ctrl-c, and f8 (i think, lol) to reboot into safe mode, whats this stufff i hear about classic mode?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:36 PM

MTR rips it in its native form.... VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS files (exactly what's on a DVD). Mac's will read all picture files and rar files. The only file I know it doesn't do well with are ISO's and EXE files (which are strictly Windows). Not sure if there is anything out there for Macs to read ISO. I'd try versiontracker.com. Shortcuts? Here's a quick low down. All your cut, paste, and copy functions are the same on a Mac as they are on a Windows box except you use the Apple button (command button) instead of the Ctrl button. Here are a few more shortcuts:

Shift+Apple+Delete = Empties trash
Apple+Option+Escape = Force Quit Menu
Apple+Q = Quits current Application
Apple+W = Closes current window
Apple+Option+W = Closes all windows
Apple+Open = Open

I'd highly recommend downloading an application called Quicksilver from versiontracker.com I'ts application launch program that is awesome. You simply hit Ctrl+Spacebar and then type a file name or application name and it will let you open it. Awesome application. If you get a Powerbook or iBook make sure to download Sidetrack from versiontracker.com as well (if you get one of the newer powerbooks they already come with a similar utility so you won't need this third party app).

There are many more but those are the one's I use the most. If you search for shortcut keys at Apple's website you'll find it I'm sure.

Oh yeah... GET A MAC!
Old 03-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

cool, seems like macs read a lot more files natively than windows, lol. This is what Im planning on getting, unless i decide to wait until tiger comes out, probably will buy now and just purchase tiger later, and reformat the computer.
15 inch powerbook
1gb ram in 1 slot
100gb hard drive
8x superdrive(will swap out with mce dual layer burner for powerbook)
1.67ghz g4 with 128mb vram

I cant wait till I order it, probably in a month or two. Im also getting the bookenz docking station for powerbook.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

I guess it says something when I keep on going back to apple for my next computer. Ive been looking for a new computer for about a year now, because I need a laptop. Stuck between mac and a dell. Mac wins, cause my last dell notebook sucked. Every time Ive used a mac, its been an awesome experience, and you cant beat the look of them!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 PM

cool, seems like macs read a lot more files natively than windows, lol. This is what Im planning on getting, unless i decide to wait until tiger comes out, probably will buy now and just purchase tiger later, and reformat the computer.
15 inch powerbook
1gb ram in 1 slot
100gb hard drive
8x superdrive(will swap out with mce dual layer burner for powerbook)
1.67ghz g4 with 128mb vram

I cant wait till I order it, probably in a month or two. Im also getting the bookenz docking station for powerbook.
Just a word of advice... don't be to fast on buying a powerbook. The technology for a G5 laptop is already present in the new iMac G5. We took apart the test unit we got at my job and it was so incredibly compact in there. Most of the width came from the LCD screen so I'm sure they can make a laptop already and I am actually quite certain they've already got a prototype. The only problem is that there is no news about a release date on a G5 iMac. In any case I'd wait as long as possible to pick up a new powerbook. However, the current on'es are pretty tight.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

yea it will eventually come out, probably with tiger, maybe? How much of a performance increase would there be over the g4, worth the wait? Im only going to be using the computer for ps, some games, music, dvds, and online stuff.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Poopschute, just an update for you. Got my network up and running with the help of a couple new wifi cards from Enterasys. Great pc cards mac and pc compatable much like the Lucent silver. Now my Ti, Wallstreet, iPAQ, and PC's are all happy.

Quick Reply: Anyone need Mac help?