Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Anyone else "borrow" peoples wireless internet connections?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else "borrow" peoples wireless internet connections?

I take my laptop with me too work and I've found like 20 good spots I can access unsecure wireless connections...I'm parked in one now....Although I know its probably illegal, I dont see what the big deal is. I'm not accessing any off there computers or messing with there router (even though they need to open some ports up).....Just curious if anyone else did this....
Old 12-16-2004, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the time.

Your not doing anything illegal. Its not like your hacking into their access point,

If people leave their system WIDE open with NO secuirty settings whatsoever Its now a free public service.

Just dont modify or view their files, or do anything illegal with their connection
and your fine

Besides you can always play dumb. "I dunno I turned my laptop on and the internet was working ?????"
Old 12-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Know of any programs that will scan for wireless connection?....I just drive around and keep clicking refresh until I find one....seems like 2 out of 3 people in this neighborhood have an unsecure wireless connection....but its a real pain to drive 2 mph and keep clicking refresh....
Old 12-16-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by CynicX
I take my laptop with me too work and I've found like 20 good spots I can access unsecure wireless connections...I'm parked in one now....Although I know its probably illegal, I dont see what the big deal is. I'm not accessing any off there computers or messing with there router (even though they need to open some ports up).....Just curious if anyone else did this....
I do. There are 3 that are in my apartment complex and 1 in unsecure. It still has the admin default password.........
Old 12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

how do I make mine secure?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:51 AM

Know of any programs that will scan for wireless connection?....I just drive around and keep clicking refresh until I find one....seems like 2 out of 3 people in this neighborhood have an unsecure wireless connection....but its a real pain to drive 2 mph and keep clicking refresh....

Air Snort Carefull you can get into trouble with this one.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Air Snort Carefull you can get into trouble with this one.

A couple things you can do to secure you Wireless Connection

1: Change the defaulkt password. Its usally Admin, Admin. Go alpha Numeric
2: Enable WEP
3: Restrict access to your Wireless Network by MAC address (a unique code for your Network Card) (They can be spoofed but it make it that much harder)

4: Do not broadcast your SSID
Old 12-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

when at my apartment i can get wireless from the neighbors... but only near the windows. at my parents house they have wireless, and so do all 4 surrounding neighbors...
Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 AM

Yea... I go to school in Pennsylvania and I'm moving between campuses right now. I just got to the new campus and since I didn't have internet yet I just drove around until I found a connection, and lol, turns out thats how I'm getting internet until I install in at my house. Its funny how people could hack using others wireless connections and it'd be traced back to the house, not the computer, and people don't realize this.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:10 AM

I check my log daily simply for this reason. I can't stand "moochers". I'm not paying $40 a month so somebody else can use my bandwidth.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

I dont get network signal outside my house ...
Old 12-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
All the time.

Your not doing anything illegal. Its not like your hacking into their access point,

If people leave their system WIDE open with NO secuirty settings whatsoever Its now a free public service.

Just dont modify or view their files, or do anything illegal with their connection
and your fine

Besides you can always play dumb. "I dunno I turned my laptop on and the internet was working ?????"
Greetings,
1. It is illegal and it is called theft of service.
2 .Even if you leave your front door open, it iss burglary if someone walks in, the least it would be criminal tresspass. therefore your "its wide open come on in" theory does not float.
3. Technically you are "hacking" into the acces point. You don't always need to use fancy software to "hack" a system.

My 2 Cents
Old 12-16-2004, 04:24 PM

try netsumbler also
Old 12-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
are you insecure?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
Enable WEP on the router, make sure you right down the password since you'll have to enter it on your computer so the you can communicate with the router. Changer your SSID then Disable SSID broadcast, that allown will keep alot of moochers off...you can limit the amount of systems that can long on, and you can also only allow certain MAC addresses on....that will keep it pretty secure from 99% of people, the only 1% make so much money in the comuter field they dont need to bother.....
Old 12-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MvCrash
Greetings,
1. It is illegal and it is called theft of service.
2 .Even if you leave your front door open, it iss burglary if someone walks in, the least it would be criminal tresspass. therefore your "its wide open come on in" theory does not float.
3. Technically you are "hacking" into the acces point. You don't always need to use fancy software to "hack" a system.

My 2 Cents
If a neighbor saw your door open and walked in is he a burglar?

Oh well, I'll let the FBI worry about it.....I'm not hurting anyone and if someone wants me too stop I'd gladly do so....I'm not taking anything other then a slight amount of bandwidth for a couple minutes...

I understand you point, and I know its correct....but like I said I dont feel that I'm bothering anyone, and in no way am I costing anyone a single cent....
Old 12-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

If a neighbor saw your door open and walked in is he a burglar?

Oh well, I'll let the FBI worry about it.....I'm not hurting anyone and if someone wants me too stop I'd gladly do so....I'm not taking anything other then a slight amount of bandwidth for a couple minutes...

I understand you point, and I know its correct....but like I said I dont feel that I'm bothering anyone, and in no way am I costing anyone a single cent....
Greetings,
I understand your point very well and happen to agree, your really not hurting anyone. As far as the Burglary, I was not speaking of a neighbor, but the law states that if you "enter or remain" with "intent to commit an 'offense" you've committed a burglary. It does not indicate anything about "breaking in." Now, if you "enter or remain without license to do so" and you have no intent to commit an offense, you've only committed a "Criminal Tresspass." This would be the person who kinda hangs out after the closing of store to stay out of the cold and get some sleep. No intent to commit and offense, just remained in the store.

My entire point of my first post was just to make you aware of what you were doing and that you should be careful.

Netstumbler works great on a Palm C. Been using it for a while.

:pat:
Old 12-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i just downloaded netstumbler...and it works wonders.....thing is....can you connect to a wireless set via netstumbler...or is it more of a prog to show you whats out there?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:55 PM

I think netstumbler just sows you available networks, its then up to you to connect to it. at least thats how i understand ith
Old 12-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
Stumbler just gets the information, you need another proggie to connect.

Quick Reply: Anyone else "borrow" peoples wireless internet connections?