GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Midland Handheld Mobile CB Radio 75-822

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone using this CB?

Thoughts, comments, reviews?

TIA, Lee
Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RLJ3RD
Anyone using this CB?

Thoughts, comments, reviews?

TIA, Lee
I picked one up as a backup... I'll let you know it works after next week's death valley trip.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I used this CB exclusively in Death Valley for a week, since I never took the time to tear down my "main" CB.

With the vehicle adapter kit, this is a sweet piece of equipment. Plugs into the 12v socket, and in to the magnetic mount antenna I picked up (midland part, but radio shack allegedly has them too). Everything was neatly out of the way; didn't feel like I had wires running everywhere (though I guess I did).

And when I wanted to be out of the rig, I slipped it out of the adapter, slapped a battery pack on instead, attached the little antenna, and happy city there too.

Only down check is that I was running with the volume at about 90% on the dial. I didn't need more, but that was a little concern, since my Cobra dash unit only needs about 40% to get the same volume.

Nice set of controls on it; particularly like the 9/19/prev button, which lets you quickly bop over to channel 9, then 19, then back to your actual selected channel. Kind of nice to quickly zing over to 19 when in a clump of trucks to hear what they were up to and then back to the trip channel.

Also has dual channel watch, weather channel (yeah, maybe, but not in the middle of BF nowhere!) and several other nice features.

The range with the vehicle adapter was certainly adequate for the trip; I didn't get any indications that I was missing transmissions that others were hearing. I didn't have my main CB hooked up, so I couldn't do a side by side on that.

I think if you just want a CB for the infrequent YT trip, that is compact, requires no wiring of your rig, works well, *and* can be a handheld, this is a great selection when coupled with a magnetic mount antenna. (obviously, also good for moving between rigs). Note, several people have tried it in there trucks without an external antenna, and have been very unhappy. Spend the extra $20 (whatever) for an external antenna.

And if you want a backup CB, this is an awesome choice, for all of the reasons above. I wired it into my main antenna at times as well as my mag mount, and it worked well in both configurations. If you've ever had your CB go out on a trip like this one, you know how much you'll wish you had a backup. Also good for loaning to folks who aren't equipped yet; we had one truck that was linked in through FRS and they were definitely feeling left out.

I haven't tried the Cobra handheld to compare, but aside from the volume thing, I had no complaints about this equipment.

That help?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:35 PM

I've been using that unit for about two years now. Love it, except like the previous guy said volume is a little soft, espeicaly with the windows open, radio on and people talking. Has a external speaker jack though. I use mine with a Little Wil magnetic antenna, range is really good. I would recomend it.

just noticed amazon has it for 84.95 free shipping. plus there's lots of reviews oin their page. not affiliated yada yada.

Last edited by Beerdrinker; 03-30-2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-03-2006, 02:34 AM

been using a midland handheld since i started 'wheeling.

i think the 805 or 810. the one with FM and WX.

i use a mag mount antenna on top that is been tweaked with an SWR meter.

and that can be as good as a hardmount one. best is when i need to go portable, just unhook the mag mount antenna cable and slap in the rubber ducky.

wow... almost 10 years old now....

funny story about this unit... a few years ago, on my way to the now defunct 4runner jamboree in southern calif, i was packing the truck and i left a cell phone and this unit either on top of the hood (passenger side) or on the roof.

so i left my sister's place around 4am and drove to a 24 hour grocery. this was like 2 mile drive with lots of turns.

as i was getting out of the grocery store, i noticed the cell phone. then i remembered, OH CRAP WHERE THE CB?????

so i backtrack my route. this big long street, i see this object in the middle. i slowly creeped to it and it was the CB!!!!!!

so a millions started to go through my head. i stopped, picked up it and turned it on. IT WAS WORKING!!!!!!!!

one of the access i bought for it was the rather thin leather case of it. the edge of the case had a few torn cuts but nothing seemed wrong with it.

and still today, other than charging the batteries for it, no problems... knock on wood.

Last edited by ldivinag; 04-03-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM

Would You Happen To Know If They Have A Mod Chip For The Midland 75-822
Sorry About Fonts No Glasses