GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

3rd gen rear trunk/hatch CB antenna mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I plan on getting the cobra18 also. I'm not sure what firestik I want, but the firestik II seems to be the one that everyone has. so I figured it's got to be pretty well.

And what do you mean by "with a little juice added"?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
And what do you mean by "with a little juice added"?
The output is upped a hair Perfectly legal....really

Here's an exerpt from an old CB thread...

I called 1stopelectronics.com today to get info on there "tune up". We got to talking about antennas and mounting too. Here's the scoop:

TUNE UP
This mod involves "aligning the radio" and "opening up the audio". This must be techspeak, since I had to ask WTF that means. Basically, he said it is a boost in power and sound quality. On the Cobra 18WX ST II, the power would go from 4-5 watts to 15-20 with improved recognition and sound quality. Depending on the radio model, standard power is typically 4-5 watts with the tune up taking it to 15-40 watts.

ANTENNA/MOUNT
In order of best to worst, he said the best is the roof of the vehicle, second would be the front bumper or hood, and last would be the rear bumper. The reason for this rational is that the antenna should be above the vehicle so it doesn't have to broadcast throught the vehicle. Ideal location is 2 feet from the rear of the vehicle in the center.

I hope this clears some things up. I am just relaying the information - I am no expert.

Cebby
Old 07-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Does that "extra" apply to receiving too or just transmitting?
Old 07-11-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure. My guess would be transmitting. The quality of the incoming signal depends on the other folks and your antenna setup.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:18 PM

Well I just ordered my whole setup today. It cost me 110 including shipping. The only thing I'm worried about is that I ordered the front mount for the hood, and they have 2 different sizes, one long and one short. I didn't know my exact measurements so I asked the lady what she reccommended and she said the long one, just because it's more standard. And on the site it says if you have more than 1.25" on the sidewall, get the longer one. So i'm just hoping it won't be too long and stick out.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I've done both the long & short mount and the short works fine for the 4Runner; gives a lower profile along the fender. I went back to a roof mount K40 for better transmission/reception and b/c I didn't like the way the mount rubbed my hood. Also there was stress on the fender bolts at highway speeds from the antenna swaying in the wind.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pismo report!

I got a chance to test this new mount location out. First, there is a good amount of static as compared to the old hood channel mount. However when receiving/transmitting, no problems whatsoever (whew!). I didn't get a chance to figure out how to use Peter's SWR meter but nevertheless, it did work.

The range was acceptable. I can't give you an exact distance range, but I did catch Robinhood from about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away (I think) when driving on the beach.

Two drawbacks to this mount location:

1) If you don't use a quick release, your antenna will get in the way. Opening it is not such a problem but closing it is. You have to unscrew it if you don't have a quick release (so yes, buy a quick release!)

2) Possible metal "fatigue"- I had to tighten down the screws for the 2nd time. If I can anchor this mount w/ a flushed bolt and nut, then I see no problem. However, I don't believe there's a way to get back there w/o some cutting which I would never do. Maybe some lock-tite might do the trick.

Anyways, yes, it works.

Bob
Old 12-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Just found this thread, and it looks like i'm a little late, but... if you want an alternative that doesn't get in the way wile opening and closing as well as conceals the wire completely, check out my install. I haven't acutally run the wire yet (hopefully this weekend, but I already know how i'm going to wire it). I too went with the firefly and not only is it lighter, but its also a little thinner than the firestik II so there is less wind resistance as well (designed to get an extra foot out of mounts for example you can run a 4ft firefly on a mount thats designed for a regular 3ft etc.) ANYWAY... I don't like a the idea and b the look of bare wire on my truck. I was on the FireStik site and saw they had a moulded mount that hides the wire. I really liked this idea and I went ahead and mounted it. I hit it right on and have EXACTLY the right amount of space where the door doesn't even really hit the antenna (i can measure if anyone wants). You do have to drill into your bumper but, I'd almost rather than the body. But, thats just me... Since mine was mounted a bit lower and I have a Load worrior I went ahead and got the 4ft. Perfect size for me, I would recomend this size for people mounting my way. Also, another thing i noticed is that the mast has a perfect view ahead and to the left (where I want it most). The main reason I want a CB is to listen about the fuzz on the hi-way and thats where on comming traffic is ahead and to the left. I have more on my site, here is a direct link.

Click Me!

edit: If anyone wants better pictures let me know and I'll take some more, those I took when I installed it and they kinda suck.

Last edited by turboale; 12-03-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I'll be the first to request more pics... Do you have a p/n for the mount? Are you going to check the SWR?

That was a nice pic of you and your dad working on the mount, but man, aren't you a little young to be driving??
Old 03-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Aside from being a schmuck and drilling the first two holes to low, I went ahead and mounted my antenna like Bob's today.

I'm using a Wilson antenna that is really flexible, and I can just bend it to the side to open the door. I'll probably get a quick disconnect anyway, but for now it works.

A couple things I did, that Bob didn't.

I went ahead and used some 3m double sided pads inbetween the bracket and the truck so that the metal wouldn't be rubbing up against the body and possibly induce rust down the line. Plus, it will help to keep moisture out as well.

I also used Silicone glue instead of lock tite as it seemed plenty tight, and again, to help keep moisture out.

Pics will be on my website later. I still need to run the coax.

Bill
Old 03-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

I just did my CB install last week..and I will post pictures of some of the stuff I did...mosly it was all the same...I did not run my wires inside..but I followed the factory wires under the truck..and cam in through where toyota's wires did..
( also want to show pics of my new STUBBs sliders I just got welded on today )

Talk about bringing this post back from well below 6 ft under huh...
Old 03-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry ditty,
I just saw your post. I will grab some pics tomorrow during the day if you still need them. I just got a swr meter from a buddy of mine with a taco and I'll go check it right now. Oh yeah... I forgot to tell you guys that I have this disease kinda like in the movie Jack, its just it works in the other direction. I age only 1/4 instead 4 times as fast. :p Oh, and the model mount is a firestik MK-M2. That comes with the coax with special hook ups and mount. I think I got it from xtremeoff-road.com for like $14 or so.

Bill- How did your setup turn out? I hope your whip isn't too flexy and it doesn't hit your truck. Mine has only hit MAYBE twice. But its really once in a blue moon.

Herkengineer
Thats interesting how you wired yours up. I didn't even think to do that. This is how I wired mine up. Click Here

Last edited by turboale; 03-06-2004 at 06:00 PM.