Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

what sub

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm liking the box! I can't wait to get my Brahma. I live really close to Adire so I want to go check it out, but I'll have to wait a bit since I'm away at school right now. What amp are you using? I'm thinking I'll go with either the JBL 1200.1, PG Tantrum 1200, or maybe Hifonics B1500D. Not sure yet.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=stoutshady]Hey Doink, I could probably hook you up with a decent deal on 2 JL10s in a bandpass box... Since you live in the Atlanta area you can just pick them up... I'd probably let this go for about $150, and of course I'll let you audition them. Here is a pic.

QUOTE]

thats quite the interesting offer..i may take you up on that actually...only thing is..im only lookin for one since i want to have more room in back ...but..i might check this out..where in atl are you at?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:18 PM

I interpreted the post to be what was the best, SMALLEST sub set up using a 12" sub? I am curious on the answer to this as well.

Half of the replies seem to be pretty big setups.

I have a single 12" JL Audio 12w0 with about 350 RMS (from a RF amp) going to it. Doesnt sound bad, but who doesnt want better.

I have been tempted into trying a Brahma as I have heard good things.

I am also curious about the Kicker Solobaric's.

Any thought?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

got another question..what do you guys think of alpine type r's ? good sub? or not.?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:19 AM

Alpine Type R's are a good sub, especially for the money. JL is very good and the W7 is one of the best subs going but they are big$ They also require a huge$ amp. One that hasn't been mentioned is the Infinity Kappa Perfect. I have had 1 and 2 of them in my baby and they are some of the most accurate and musical subs I've heard (I've heard a bunch). They are no slouch SPL wise by any means either. I got them from Infinty when I worked at Circuit City. You can't get them there but I think Crutchfield has them. Just another point of view to help further confuse. Happy spending!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:09 PM

hello
my 97 4runner i used to compete in stereo shows (untill she was totalled by some stupid lady that rear ended me) i had 4 sony explode 12'subs and had 2sony amps..i loved them and they did quite well in show. now i have a 98 and i decided to run 4 12'diamond tdxs and 2 pg amps..these are kinda pricy but it sounds nice..it all depends on how much you want to spend. what is your price range? do you plan on competing?
amy
Old 04-11-2004, 06:15 PM

The solobarics (L7) will get loud but you'll sacrafice some SQ. Alpine Type R's and Infinity Kappa Perfects will get good SQ but won't be as loud as the L7. Depends on what you're looking for.

I interpreted the post as what 1 sub will be as good as 2. If that's the case then the Adire Brahma would be an excellent choice. It only takes around 1.25 cubic feet sealed and about 1000 watts. That together would get really loud and still get great SQ.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:55 AM

You'll hear alot about JL's...but I would look at companies like elemental designs. They have the best SQ/SPL combo for the best $ around. And their customer service is tops.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

I don't have a 12 but I have an Elemental Designs E10o.44 and it pounds like a 12. I have 500W running to it. They make some VERY nice speakers for the price. If you want a listen let me know I am in Lawrenceville.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/12o.htm
Old 04-13-2004, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by saintsteve
I don't have a 12 but I have an Elemental Designs E10o.44 and it pounds like a 12. I have 500W running to it. They make some VERY nice speakers for the price. If you want a listen let me know I am in Lawrenceville.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/12o.htm
Hey SaintSteve, I'd like a listen... Would that be cool? I'm in Roswell right off of 400 and Holcomb Bridge. I thought I read in one of your posts that you have a w7, am I mistaking you with someone else? You also have the CDT cl-61s, no?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

dang i didnt know you guys lived so close. i am in lilburn. about 3 minutes away from stone mountain.

oh, and i bought an alpine type R. now i just have to figure out how to bridge my friggin amp..
Old 04-13-2004, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by doink
currently i have two 12 inch subs in my 4runner. they are justsome old doo doo sony explodes...(i bought them from my friend for cheap so..yep ). anyway, i want to just buy one `12 inch sub so i can have more room in my cargo area for things. what would be a solid sub that could produce a good amount of bass that could equal the sonys....(which im guessing wouldnt be to hard)

right now..im running one alpine 12inch type R. For the price...this woofer is the s h i t...very good SQ. I love my alpine woofer...Its not a JL but i feel its up there.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by doink
dang i didnt know you guys lived so close. i am in lilburn. about 3 minutes away from stone mountain.

oh, and i bought an alpine type R. now i just have to figure out how to bridge my friggin amp..
Go here and you will be bridging in no time...

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html
Old 04-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stoutshady
Hey SaintSteve, I'd like a listen... Would that be cool? I'm in Roswell right off of 400 and Holcomb Bridge. I thought I read in one of your posts that you have a w7, am I mistaking you with someone else? You also have the CDT cl-61s, no?
Stout,
I have a Elemental Designs 10" (e10o.44) sub with a Hifonics BX1000D powering it mono. I have the CDT CL-61a's with an Avionnix 440.4 powering them. No I wouldn't mind meeting up somewhere. I don't get out that way too much because I live in Bethlehem (near Winder) and work in Lawrenceville. But I would be willing to meet up somewhere.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:22 AM

Cool man, how's Sunday the 25th for you? I have no problem meeting you somewhere in between... I can maybe even come out your way. I'll send you a PM sometime next week. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

I just picked up a new 10" Xplode sub for $30 bucks (seemed like a good deal) and I would like to get an active crossover for it. However, I don't know what brand or type of crossover I should look into. I'm really not into blowing my eardrums out, just something that will sound good, I'm guessing somewhere around 100W or so. Anybody know of any inexpensive crossover that will drive (with a built in amp) 4 speakers and 1 sub???

don't mean to hi-jack this thread, I just don't know much about stereos and what is necessary to get decent sound with 100W.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by saintsteve
Stout,
I have the CDT CL-61a's with an Avionnix 440.4 powering them.
How do you like them?? I've heard really good stuff about them. I just ordered a set off of theZEB.com for 150 shipped. I plan on running them off of either a Hifonics or JBL amp. How did you mount them? I have a 2nd gen so I might have to make my own kickpanels, I've seen people put them in the doors but it didn't look very good in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Cool man, how's Sunday the 25th for you? I have no problem meeting you somewhere in between... I can maybe even come out your way. I'll send you a PM sometime next week. Thanks.
Im going camping that weekend but I should be home around 4pm that afternoon. PM or email me: stephen.scott@adelphia.net. Peace!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WSU4runner
How do you like them?? I've heard really good stuff about them. I just ordered a set off of theZEB.com for 150 shipped. I plan on running them off of either a Hifonics or JBL amp. How did you mount them? I have a 2nd gen so I might have to make my own kickpanels, I've seen people put them in the doors but it didn't look very good in my opinion.
You will not be dissapointed. Make sure you give them enough power. I am pushing 110W RMS to them with no problem. They sound great!!! I mounted the crossovers in the door. I don't have any pics but I plan to get some soon. I got a 4 channel Avionixx because I have back speakers too. www.avionixxusa.com.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Go here and you will be bridging in no time...

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html
i went there and it just showed how to wire the DVC subs. and not how to bridge. or atleast i didnt see it.

i hate being an idiot sometimes